Keeping In Touch Onboard

phinn

Has anyone used walkie talkies onboard and can you tell me how well they might work? Sailing the western caribbean and since my husband is disabled, I don't want him to have to search the ship for me. I am concerned about the possibility of a lot of interference with ship equipment.

Yes, there are people who use walkie-talkies on baord ship. As with cell phones, some people can get carried away with their use, yelling into them, disturbing lectures, the bingo game, and interupting an otherwise peaceful sailing.

I'm sure you are not one of those.

Other ways of communicating you might try include leaving post-it notes, using messages left on your stateroom voicemail, and good old face-to-face communication.

Happy sailing!

Yes, there are people who use walkie-talkies on baord ship. As with cell phones, some people can get carried away with their use, yelling into them, disturbing lectures, the bingo game, and interupting an otherwise peaceful sailing.

I'm sure you are not one of those.

Other ways of communicating you might try include leaving post-it notes, using messages left on your stateroom voicemail, and good old face-to-face communication.

Happy sailing!

Thanks for the tips.... I detest it when people use cell phones and other things to excess, so I was a bit reluctant, but since my DH has issues with walking, I thought I might give this a try since we have them. Of course I could solve it all by just meeting him at the Martini bar when he's lost!

Thanks for the tips.... I detest it when people use cell phones and other things to excess, so I was a bit reluctant, but since my DH has issues with walking, I thought I might give this a try since we have them. Of course I could solve it all by just meeting him at the Martini bar when he's lost!

What a great idea!! I think I'll be using that one from now on.

In the past I have used the motorola talkabouts that is 20 channels. We had no problem in using them.

I do agree they can be misused. What we agreed to do was if we entered a theater, show or a place that we thought would bother others was to let the others know before we entered and after we left. That way if we were needed during that time they knew what area to look for us.

Hi, Phinn,

My DH and I always take them along with us when we cruise. They are very helpful on board ship and in port. We use them at lunch since it can be very crowded and we get separated from each other.

Then we use them in port when I want to shop and he wants a drink. However, he has been known to not turn the walkie talkie on. Or enter a noisy bar and not be able to hear the signal. It's all part of his "selective listening" ploy. He thinks I don't know.:D Anway, IMHO, we find them invaluable.

Janet

Archived