P & O Ferries

momofmeg

When we embarked from Dover this past Sept. for our transatlantic cruise we saw what we thought was a small P & O cruiseship. We were told it was actually a ferry operated by P & O between France and England.

Are there alot of these to go been differant portsides of France and England?

For example can you take a ferry to Southampton? what is the price of these ferries ? and are they more reasonable then taking that underground tunnel between London and Paris?

Thanks for the link. I saw to calais is 30 pounds a person. i assume there is a trainto Paris from there?

Of course we would be doing the reverse route. we want to fly into Paris and spend a few days there before boarding ship in Dover.

When we embarked from Dover this past Sept. for our transatlantic cruise we saw what we thought was a small P & O cruiseship. We were told it was actually a ferry operated by P & O between France and England.

Are there alot of these to go been differant portsides of France and England?

For example can you take a ferry to Southampton? what is the price of these ferries ? and are they more reasonable then taking that underground tunnel between London and Paris?

P&O ferries not owned by by Carnival like P&O Cruises are. They were sold off to Dubai Ports in 2006 so they are no longer part of the same company

There are no ferries to Southampton from France these days. They all go to Portsmouth which is not too far away. You can get details of all European ferries here.

http://www.aferry.to/GWMap.htm

Dover-Calais is the most frequent as it is the shortest crossing. There are ferries to Portsmouth from Cherbourg, Le Havre, Caen and also further points west.

Brian

Eurostar has been mentioned. For my money use Eurostar Paris to London St Pancras. Enjoy London. Train to Southampton.

While the new Eurostar terminal at St Pancras station is lovely it is a shame that the Eurostars no longer go into Waterloo then it would simply be a matter of strolling along the concourse instead of traversing London by tube or bus (or taxi if you can afford such a luxury!) to get to the connecting train to Southampton.

Feebee_71 :)

While the new Eurostar terminal at St Pancras station is lovely it is a shame that the Eurostars no longer go into Waterloo then it would simply be a matter of strolling along the concourse instead of traversing London by tube or bus (or taxi if you can afford such a luxury!) to get to the connecting train to Southampton.

Feebee, true, however as someone who goes into Kings Cross >>>>

No, what I had in mind was the opportunity to take in an exhibition at the British Museum - Terracotta Warriors or Tutenkamun.

Feebee, true, however as someone who goes into Kings Cross >>>>

No, what I had in mind was the opportunity to take in an exhibition at the British Museum - Terracotta Warriors or Tutenkamun.

I would personally recommend the Terracotta Warriors but there have been so many disappointed reviews of the Tutenkamun exhibition - very expensive for what they actually have on display - and wouldn't recommend that.

One of my favourite museums for a day visit is the Victoria & Albert Museum.

• 3 weeks later...

I think that the ferries are great, especially if you need to take a car from GB to rhe continent. I have taken them from Dover to France, Belgium and Holland. These are short trips; no cabins but nice public areas and a decent resturant. I have also taken a P&O ferry from Southampton to Spain; 3 days. The cabins were small but comfortable, but unlike a cruise ship, no food was included in the ticket price. There was a range of places to eat and they were all ala carte. You should contact P&O in Dover for more info.

Archived