Docking in Wellington

JEBurton

From CC:

Where You're Docked (in Wellington):

"The big ships dock at Aotea Quay, between the Interislander Ferry Terminal and the train station. The walk to the city center takes over 20 minutes. Small ships dock at Queens Wharf, right in the heart of town."

Based on Mercury's size, we'll be at Aotea Quay. It's not a bad walk - although along a highway. Getting around Wellington is easy since it's not a very large city.

The cruise dock is right at the big tin can; officially known as the football stadium. 20 - 30 minute walk to centre of town. Te Papa, the national museum and the National Art Gallery have free admission. Very well done.

The cruise dock is right at the big tin can; officially known as the football stadium. 20 - 30 minute walk to centre of town. Te Papa, the national museum and the National Art Gallery have free admission. Very well done.

Kia ora i Aotearoa, (=Greetings from NZ)

If you consider the centre of town as where the town hall is (Te Papa is near the town hall) It only takes a few minutes walk from the wharf to town. In all the years we lived in Wellington I never heard the stadium referred to as the big tin can! However, because of its' shape it has been nick-named the cake tin! Wellington is an interesting city with the Parliament buildings being nick-named the beehive on account of its' shape (some may consider it a hornets nest!). Its' architecture is interesting. When Wellington gets one of its gales the wind below Parliament can blow people over! NZers think it may be the hot air generated by our politicians! You can normally freely wander around Parliament grounds and the attached library. Normally no armed guards patrol Parliament grounds and our Police are not routinely armed. Enjoy.

Nāku noa nā, (=Yours sincerely)

Aquarians

Kia ora i Aotearoa, (=Greetings from NZ)

If you consider the centre of town as where the town hall is (Te Papa is near the town hall) It only takes a few minutes walk from the wharf to town. In all the years we lived in Wellington I never heard the stadium referred to as the big tin can! However, because of its' shape it has been nick-named the cake tin! Wellington is an interesting city with the Parliament buildings being nick-named the beehive on account of its' shape (some may consider it a hornets nest!). Its' architecture is interesting. When Wellington gets one of its gales the wind below Parliament can blow people over! NZers think it may be the hot air generated by our politicians! You can normally freely wander around Parliament grounds and the attached library. Normally no armed guards patrol Parliament grounds and our Police are not routinely armed. Enjoy.

Nāku noa nā, (=Yours sincerely)

Aquarians

We docked outside the stadium last April and we walked to the city centre. We are fast walkers and I think it took us around 15 minutes.

We walked to the bottom of the tram and took it to the top, great views from up there. We then walked down through the beautiful Gardens through the graveyard and came out at the Parliament buildings.

It's a great city to walk and we didn't need to take any public transport.

Celebrity lay on a shuttle bus into town costs around USD8pp each way. We got their shuttle bus in to town and took a taxi back for pretty much the same cost.

Preferred to save my legs for walking around Wellington.:)

Just got back from Mercury Aus/NZ last week - had a WONDERFUL time!

• 2 weeks later...

I will be sailing on the Mercury February 1st. Do you have any helpful hints for the cruise. Please feel free to e-mail me directly at alarud@comcast.net Thanks.

Celebrity lay on a shuttle bus into town costs around USD8pp each way. We got their shuttle bus in to town and took a taxi back for pretty much the same cost.

Preferred to save my legs for walking around Wellington.:)

Just got back from Mercury Aus/NZ last week - had a WONDERFUL time!

Archived