Mariner - traveling with nephew 10yr

MsWitty1

I am not new to cruising, but new to traveling with kids. I am taking my nephew on the Mariner this March. I booked western because I thought the islands were more suited to what he would like.

My dilemma is whether to book excursions ahead or not. The trip is all about him and wondering if we would be better of playing it by ear or planning ahead. I am not sure what he would like.

Any suggestions? He is a pretty good swimmer but never in the ocean. I am wondering how to handle.

You have a much more important issue. If you are taking somebody elses children out of the country you will need notarized authorization from both parents. You might want to check with RCI for specific requirements. As to the tours, most 10 year olds have a pretty good idea of what they like so you might want to have a good chat with your nephew and share the tour info. If he is computer savy (most kids live on the internet) he can also have a lot of fun researching all the ports.

Hank

Hank - thanks for the post. I have the letter part covered. I checked with RCCL and basically I need something that allows me to take him out of the country, gives me authority over him, and allows me to make decisions in medical situations. I was worried about getting him out of the country, so did my homework!

I don't know if he lives near you, but if he does why don't you have a tour planning breakfast or lunch with him. In my experience with my son a 10 year old is very certain of their likes and dislikes. I would let him pick the tours now and book them so he isn't disappointed if something gets sold out. I definitely wouldn't wait and play it by ear because you will waste your precious time in port deciding.

Archived