What advice would you give your dad?

omdiane

My MIL and her husband, in their late 80's just came here for their trip of a lifetime. If your Dad has any difficulties at all in movement, I would suggest not blindly booking tours. Helicopter rides sound fabulous, but if you cant climb into it...you see where I am going. Many tours they wanted to do, they didnt because of that, or not booking early enough. Make sure your Dad can have some conversations before booking.

Other than that, I just say to do all he can and be tired later...enjoy every moment!

To enjoy every minute of it and not watch his pennies, throw caution to the wind! Other than that, make sure he goes to a Luau to see the pretty hula dancers.

I would have loved it if my dearly departed father got to go back to Hawaii in his later years. He was stationed there for a while during WWII, we have pictures of him with girls in grass skirts and with a surfboard that looked like it was 10 feet tall.

Is your FIL going by himself?

We are taking my parents, 77 and 78 on the Serenade late next week. We have booked excursions for them based on what Sue has said. There are alot of things that they will not be able to do. We will be going to the Arizona Memorial...etc. I would do lots of research on the excursions.

My parents cruised this past summer and booked a tour in Jamaica . It was the Dunn's River Falls tour from a boat w/ sightseeing. I told them that they would have to climb up the Falls hillside, but they would listen because the excursion desk told them they would not have to. After a nice water tour around the island, the boat let everyone off at the bottom of the Falls at the beach and took off.:eek: My parents had to climb the stairs all the way to the top to meet up with everybody else and to catch the tour "bus" back to the ship. They were exhausted!!!

What shape is he in? There is 75, and then there is 75. My father was still doing half-marathons at that age, and still hiking (and cruising) at 82. If he is physically fit, there are many things he can do that are a lot of fun, such as snorkeling and taking helicopter rides.

See Pearl Harbor on Oahu and posibly do a circle island tour, followed by a luau. Wear sunscreen. Wear comfortable shoes. Pack light. Dont be afraid to take too many pictures. Snorkel - swim and enjoy the beaches of these beautiful islands. Take time to relax - see as much as you can!

Close your eyes...Take a deep breath...smell that Plumeria?

How simply wonderful! Just great advice from all. Just enjoy enjoy and don't set up too busy of a schedule on the islands.

My mother has not been well for many years. Sis and I took her on her "trip of a lifetime" cruise to Hawaii in '99. Hawaii just makes her so at peace and happy. Always has. The cruise was just wonderful.

But I always wished I could take her back and thought it would never happen. This February, there was a brief window where she was "her old self". Aloha had RT tickets for $279 so I jumped on it and we spent 10 glorious days on the Big Island.

That generation survived so much and it is just sheer delight to hear they get to take their "trips of a lifetime". They deserve that and so much more.

I hope the trip meets expectations and is wonderful.

Thanks for your story.
Sammy

I agree - do plenty of research - there are tons of things on the web - or go to the library. Call the Hawaii Visitors and Convention Bureau, etc - lots of free info. Maybe do the Mission Houses and the Palace and the statues in the same area. Shop the International Marketplace, see Don Ho, drink a mai tai -- go to the Pink Palace (Royal Hawaiian and have a cocktail and take pictures of Diamond Head from that vantage point under the umbrellas on
Waikiki Beach. Collect backscratchers from all those drinks.....make a bouquet

Surf (yes, anyone can, the waves are small at Waikiki or just float along on your stomach and pretend), see Hanauma Bay, Waimea, North Shore, watch the Wahines....

• 2 weeks later...
Hope Dad has a great time!

Maybe he could pop in on this thread on his return and tell us what his thoughts were regarding our suggestions and what he thought was the best thing that he did, favorite tour, and ship experiences etc

I am convinced that he will have a wonderful time - dont wrorry, be happy for him! Next time maybe you two can go together?!

Archived