Where to eat in Cairo?

lilstinger

My family is going to be staying overnight in Cairo on 6/29/08 and would like to know the best restaurant to go to for a traditional Egyptian dinner. The only restaurants we've seen mentioned in the boards have been at Ramses Hilton! We're looking an authentic experience. Any suggestions?

Just remember that squab=pigeon...

with that said, When we were in Cairo, aside from eating at the hotel (Le Meredien Pyramids) we had a birthday celebration at Barry's. It overlooks the Pyramids and sits on top of a night club. It was the only place I really felt safe to explore the local cuisine. It was a wonderful restaurant with over the top food, service and location. Looking at your date, they may require reservations. Check out their website, I think it even has the menu on it. http://www.barry1.com

Have a wonderful time!! ~Travelbugs

Travelbugs,

Thanks for the suggestion of Barry's! We checked out their website and it seems to be just the kind of place we were looking for. Glad to hear you were happy at Le Meridien Pyramids too since that's where we'll be staying while in Cairo. Appreciate your help, Lilstinger

Check out my photos at

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=687569

It's not a flash restaurant or a five start hotel, but Fishawi's coffee shop in the heart of the Khan al Khalili (sp?) market is redolent with atmosphere and does a wonderful coffee or mango and pomegranate drink.

For a more authentic dinner try the cafe/restaurant that was frequented by Naguib Mahfouz (cannot recall the name, maybe someone else on the boards can). It is located in the Kan el-Khalili bazaar. Otherwise, the Mena House has several outstanding restaurants.

Just remember that squab=pigeon...

with that said, When we were in Cairo, aside from eating at the hotel (Le Meredien Pyramids) we had a birthday celebration at Barry's. It overlooks the Pyramids and sits on top of a night club. It was the only place I really felt safe to explore the local cuisine. It was a wonderful restaurant with over the top food, service and location. Looking at your date, they may require reservations. Check out their website, I think it even has the menu on it. www.barry1.com

Have a wonderful time!! ~Travelbugs

Looks like a great place to eat...we will try to include this on our Egypt overnight.

For a more authentic dinner try the cafe/restaurant that was frequented by Naguib Mahfouz (cannot recall the name, maybe someone else on the boards can). It is located in the Kan el-Khalili bazaar. Otherwise, the Mena House has several outstanding restaurants.

LOL ... it is called the Naguib Mahfouz restaurant! http://www.egyptiancastle.com/travel/restaurants/khalili.htm

It is run by Oberoi, and it is wonderful!

The Khan el Khalili bazaar is a great destination in itself. Get there a couple of hours before your dinner reservation and spend the time wandering around.

Check out our review and pics at http://www.elite.net/~thehalls/holyland2.html

Have a GREAT cruise!

• 1 month later...

For dinner there is a wonderful Egyptian restaurant (outdoors and indoors) in the courtyard area of the Cairo Marriott. The food and atmosphere are great. The hotel itself is converted from a palace.

Archived