Private tours? Any good ones?

cruzobsessed

My husband and I did Rays Reef and Rum Point in Dec...WOW!!!!This was too the highlight of our cruise. There were only 8 of us and we had such an amazing time. I think Rum Point is absolutly the most beautiful place on earth!!! They had to take me kicking and screaming and I think I had a tear in my eye....I had the blackened Mahi Mahi and it was great. We actually saw an enormous sea turtle on the way to Rum Point and it was great to see the staff so excited about it that they turned the boat around to look for it again...A real class act....We can't wait to go back to take our kids on the same tour!!!!

Just got back from my cruise today and also have to say Nativeway is top notch. I also did the Rays, Reef and Rum Point tour and it was phenomenal. My girlfriends and I were the only 4 people on the tour so it looked like we chartered our own boat. I was especially impressed because they could have cancelled our tour because it was such a low turn out but they didn't. We had the whole boat to ourselves!!!!! Chris, the captain, and his father, Uncle Buck, were the greatest. It was definitely the hightlight of the cruise for us. Book with them...you won't be disappointed.

hi beachgal.........their email address is nativway@candyw.ky

the company is owned and operated by sharen and eldon eubanks. they are total professionals and will do anything to make your experience the best.:)

another thing i wanted to say was......even if your cruise is next week......sen them an email...don't assume that they'll be booked. there was a couple on the boat with us who literally booked days before.

their website is www.nativewaysports.com . the excursion i took was RAYS REEF AND RUM POINT. cannot recommend it enough

I just tried this link and it does not work. The correct link is www.nativewaywatersports.com.

We just did this tour on Tuesday, January 8th...it was well organized and a lot of fun! We were driven from the cruise ship pier on a comfortable shuttle bus by Eldon (Sharon's husband) who provided some commentary as we traveled to the pier (maybe a 20 minute drive) to jump on a smallish boat (my family of 4 and 8 other people from our ship, NOS) with Shyster and Cynthia, who were great! Shyster took us to snorkle at the Coral Garden (I think that was the area)...water about 10 feet deep...I WILL admit that there were not too many colorful fish, but I had a great time, despite the fact that I am not generally "really into" snorkeling...we then went to Sting Ray City, a short ride from where we snorkeled. It is literally a sand bar, where you can pretty much stand. What we were not prepared for was the size (wing span at least 4-5 feet) and FRIENDLINESS of the rays...they come right up to you, looking for calamari that Shyster has brought along. My son (13) was inundated by 4 or 5 of them at once...it stressed him out, and he needed to get back on the boat to calm down. My DH and DD each "held" one; Shyster will catch one and you can feed/hold/pet it. This is a "don't miss" experience; we had a great time; just be prepared for the rays to swim VERY close (one swam through my husbands's legs). Then on to Rum Point...very beautiful and CLEAN (cleaner/better cared for than Rose Island and the no-longer-open-to-the-public Blue Lagoon Island in The Bahamas)...lunch was okay...drinks a bit expensive (Cayman dollar equal to $1.25 USD)...my son had the best smoothie I have ever tasted. We left in plenty of time to make it back for the last tender, which was scheduled for 4:30...we arrived at approximately 4:00 to a huge line; we were on the second to last tender; which we boarded at exactly 4:30. This trip was well worth the cost, as well as the tip we provided to Shyster for taking such good care of us and ensuring that we had a great and safe time!

We just did this tour on Tuesday, January 8th...it was well organized and a lot of fun! We were driven from the cruise ship pier on a comfortable shuttle bus by Eldon (Sharon's husband) who provided some commentary as we traveled to the pier (maybe a 20 minute drive) to jump on a smallish boat (my family of 4 and 8 other people from our ship, NOS) with Shyster and Cynthia, who were great! Shyster took us to snorkle at the Coral Garden (I think that was the area)...water about 10 feet deep...I WILL admit that there were not too many colorful fish, but I had a great time, despite the fact that I am not generally "really into" snorkeling...we then went to Sting Ray City, a short ride from where we snorkeled. It is literally a sand bar, where you can pretty much stand. What we were not prepared for was the size (wing span at least 4-5 feet) and FRIENDLINESS of the rays...they come right up to you, looking for calamari that Shyster has brought along. My son (13) was inundated by 4 or 5 of them at once...it stressed him out, and he needed to get back on the boat to calm down. My DH and DD each "held" one; Shyster will catch one and you can feed/hold/pet it. This is a "don't miss" experience; we had a great time; just be prepared for the rays to swim VERY close (one swam through my husbands's legs). Then on to Rum Point...very beautiful and CLEAN (cleaner/better cared for than Rose Island and the no-longer-open-to-the-public Blue Lagoon Island in The Bahamas)...lunch was okay...drinks a bit expensive (Cayman dollar equal to $1.25 USD)...my son had the best smoothie I have ever tasted. We left in plenty of time to make it back for the last tender, which was scheduled for 4:30...we arrived at approximately 4:00 to a huge line; we were on the second to last tender; which we boarded at exactly 4:30. This trip was well worth the cost, as well as the tip we provided to Shyster for taking such good care of us and ensuring that we had a great and safe time!

Hello, you say you arrived at 4:00, what time was the excursion over? I saw a previous post say they were back at the tender by 2:00.

Just curious.

Thank you.:)

this was quite possibly the best excursion we've ever done. prior to this....the SILVERMOON in barbados was. so now you know how high the bar was set:D

we were asked to meet the rep outside the port by 8:45. we were "supposed" to leave at 9. we couldn't because we were waiting for other people. please... as a courtesy try to get to any excursion on time.

we drove a short distance to a boat that was in great shape and there were 17 of us. the boat never felt crowded. we 1st went for a snorkel over a reef and waited for the crowds at singray city to get a bit smaller.

swimming with the rays......what can i say......we were at 1st squeemish and freaked out but after awhile... i was feeding them....holding them....kissing them.

then we got back on the boat...were handed a menu and we ordered lunch. we drove a few minutes to rum point......oh my g_d. this is on my list of top beaches. it was not crowded in the least....we ate our lunches (delicious) and then found a very secluded spot and just vegged. got back on the boat and got back to the port with plenty of time.

sharon and her husband eldon run this operation and it is 1st class. if i am ever in the caymans again.....i would do this in a heartbeat.

oh and the best part......when you make reservations they hold the spot with your credit card. i had made these reservations awhile ago so i forgot how much it cost. we went prepared to pay $100 pp........ iit was ONLY $60 pp:D sweet.........

Did Silvermoon two years in a row! And we also compare tours to them. We are booked for Rays, Reef and Rum in March so am very excited. Thanks for the review.

We just booked Marva shaw in Jamaica and now we are looking for a similar private tour in the caymans. Anyway ideas?

We want to snorkel, see/learn about the cultrue/island, and maybe find good place to experience the food! Oh yeah, and shop a little too....Is it possible to do all of this?

Hi,

We are trying to book them in February. I am a little confused about the drinks. According to their web site it says that drinks are included. What drinks do they have? Once we are at Rum Point do we need to purchase drinks? Do they supply a drink for lunch?

I would also like to know what time did you get back to the pier?

Thanks for the help:)

Hi, all- Our ORIGINAL time of arrival was supposed to be 7am...I had already started conversing with Sharon via e-mail about the tour (we were supposed to meet Nativeway at the pier at 8:15) when I took a look at our itinerary, and the arrival time was now listed as 9:00am...Nativeway arranged a new time slot for its Navigator customers...we met at 10:15 at the pier, and left the pier at 10:30. Once we reached Rum Point (last destination on the tour), our guide told everyone we needed to be back on the boat by 3:05; it was 4:00 by the time we reached the cruise ship pier (with a shuttle ride in between)...As for drinks...nothing fancy on the boat ride...just water and punch to quench your thirst. Lunch at Rum Point was included, as well as water or iced tea. There is a bar, and this is NOT included. Drinks were tasty. Bring small bills with you, and they will probably be able to give you US dollars in change, but no guarentee. Hope this helps...

have done this excursion twice, and loved it. The only negative is the price of drinks at the bar while at Rum Point. This is where they get ya.

4 of us spent $100 in the very little time we were at Rum point:eek:

yea, i remember we paid alot for our drinks but the mudslides were awesome. i think there is one with my name on it waiting on me to get there and drink it.

I checked out NW and it looks as if they only do water excursions...

Does anyone else know of any tour companies that offer the (West End) butterfly farm, turtle farm, rum factory, hell, etc. for a decent price? My family isn't interested in the water sports. I saw one online but they were charging $69 pp and that DIDN'T INCLUDE entrance fees to the points of interest. Please recommend some tour operators. Thanks.

Archived