Adaptor

I'mwithhim

I am coming from Canada and we have the polarized plugs.. will I need an adaptor on board? Also, I have seen people posting that a power bar and an extension cord are useful. How so?

This is a first cruise and any advice is welcomed..

Thanks

There are only two plugs in teh entire cabin - one in the bathroom for hair dryers, and another one in the cabin itself on the desk. We found the power strip useful for plugging in multiple things at once.

Many couples today would have two laptops, two cell phones and two cameras which use rechargeable batteries ... at a minimum.

Of course they may decide to leave these home for their cruise, but if not, the strip plug is sure appreciated.

We used our strip plug for plugging in our portable MP3 player, which my husband needs to sleep (it has a small speaker on it). We also have rechargable batteries for our camera, which we appreciated having an open outlet for. Better to bring it, and not need it, than not have it and wish you had.

Thanks for the advice on the power strip, but what about the adaptor? Are the plug holes two of the same size or are they polarized as in Canada (1 larger than the other) for grounding purposes?

As for "electronic" gadgets, we won't have any with us...we are going on vacation to get away! No cell phones, no lap tops, and my camera battery is a lithium battery pack which plugs into the wall directly...We will be "gadget free" ! :) It's a nice feeling..being unplugged..

Oh yeah... I almost forgot...is there a hair dryer provided on board or should I take one with me?

Many couples today would have two laptops, two cell phones and two cameras which use rechargeable batteries ... at a minimum.

Yes, if the "couples" were two single people. Married folks carry one cell phone, one laptop, and one camera. They can't afford two, because one of them spends it all... sorry dear... I wasn't talking about you.

Thank you Bluesea777. That was basically the answer I was looking for.

I am not interested in how many gadgets I can plug in..I am more interested in how many I don't have to use for a week! ;)

I really feel sorry for those tied to their electronics...that's not really vacationing..or at least not really "getting away from it"...:(

One other thing. You said 3 to 2, but are the plugs polarized? I should probably pick up a "foreign" adaptor with 2 prongs the same size, yes? Oh..and hair dryers...are they provided?

I guess that was two things...:o sorry..

Thank you Bluesea777. That was basically the answer I was looking for.

I am not interested in how many gadgets I can plug in..I am more interested in how many I don't have to use for a week! ;)

I really feel sorry for those tied to their electronics...that's not really vacationing..or at least not really "getting away from it"...:(

One other thing. You said 3 to 2' date=' but are the plugs polarized? I should probably pick up a "foreign" adaptor with 2 prongs the same size, yes? Oh..and hair dryers...are they provided?

I guess that was two things...:o sorry..[/quote']

I googled polarized plug image and saw it's 3 pronged plug, and I remember that the plug points on Spirit were for 2 pronged plugs. Since you are in Canada I would suggest you go to a Radio Shack or similar store and ask. The adaptor will cost you a few bucks. I also saw a picture of adaptor while I googled, and yes they are supposed to be polarized.

Yes, there is a hairdryer in cabin.

BTW- the cell phones went into the safe for the week. No desire to use them and really didn't want to turn them back on when we got back to land either, but had no choice. ;) We brought our laptop, because we edited video for a renewal ceremony we helped organize while on board. My preference is to completely disconnect from the computer as well during the week, and by about Thursday I was sorry I had commited to doing anything work-related, even if it was for "fun". But we would have brought the power strip anyway. It was convenient for us on our last couple of trips (which were completely laptop free).

We had neighbors (2 guys) on a cruise that plugged in 5 items into an extension cord & it blew up with a blackened plug. They smelled smoke & got it unplugged & pitched it. Luckily they were not away. As they told us, that the ship can very with power supplied to the various areas of a ship. So a surge protector strip or a "squid" (which can pack in very little room).

We have a power squid so the large black power boxes can plug in without taking up 2 spaces.

MonaCK, I now completely understand the laptop since you "volunteered" (I'll bet that was a lesson learned, yes? :)) to do the photoshow. That was very nice of you.

I was more referring to the response from fin that said about "plugging in 2 cell phones, 2 lap tops, etc...at a minimum" and I thought OMG.. that would be like not even going away..! :eek:

We did used to have a travel adaptor but we left our vid cam with friends in Cuba, 2 years ago, and left the adaptor with it so they could plug it in to charge it up.. We haven't needed to buy another because the only thing we really have to plug in is our camera and that has two small prongs. If hairdryers are provided, then I can't think of anything else I have that plugs in..but with all the talk of power trips and extension cords now I fear that maybe I'm forgetting something.:confused: I guess I should go and get another adaptor...just in case.

Yes there is a hair dryer in the cabin, however unless you have very short hair and don't need one I would tell you to bring your own. The ship's is like a standard hotel type that barely moves the air or the hair around. The power strip charges cameras, or extra hair dryers.

The Spirit has a three prong outlet in the cabin, and a two prong outlet in the bathrooms of the cabins. So you can use your polarized devices in the cabins. Bring a three prong power strip. Two prongs will fit using three prong power strip as easily as two prongs fit the three prong wall outlets at home.

As far as the high wattage hair dryers, do yourself a favor and buy a dual voltage 110V/220V hair dryer from Walmart and use that hair dryer on the 220V outlet. There are no wattage limitations on the 220V circuit, as the ship was designed for 220V of the Asian market. You will need a 110V to 220V adapter. And switch the hair dryer to 220V. It seems many have complained about the useless hair dryer provided as not being powerful enough. So bring a dual voltage hair dryer.

All the rest of your electronic devices are safe to use the 110V outlet, including using a power strip.

Hey there Flick

So you are telling me that the little battery operated fan I got from the dollar store will do more to dry my hair than the dryer provided! :D Got it! ;)

I guess I will take mine.

I wouldn't bother taking a hair dryer. I have not very short thick hair and I've never had a problem drying my hair with the ship's hair dryers. I have been on the Star, Dawn, Spirit and Pearl.

The ship hair dryers do not have the cold air button, however.

I'm bald on top of my head, and short hair elsewhere. I have never had any problems with the hair dryers provided. But I can see a person with long thick hair could have a problem. If you are likewise, I recommend bringing a dual voltage hair dryer. They are around, and can be found, although maybe not at the first store. If you can not find one, buy one using the internet.

Naw... I have shoulder length, fine hair. When I'm home the only time I use a dryer is when I shower just before falling into bed..but normally I let the air do it's thing...so I'm not worried about the dryers on board being too bad. If I can achieve partial dryness then I only need another 10-15 minutes before achieving fully dry status! ;)

But thanks for the advice on the dryer...and the power bars.

Archived