Locals wanted

Cruisin Together

My husband and I love to hang out at local bars/establishments and chat with the locals. Soooo...........need to know where to go in Juneau, Skagway. and Ketchikan. We do have some tours but will have time on our hands in the afternoons. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Here is what I did. I just did a search on this site on the top where it says "Search this Forum". I typed in restaurants in Skagway, then restaurants in Juneau and then restaurants in Ketchikan. All sorts of posts came up to give you some suggestions.

Marilyn

My husband and I love to hang out at local bars/establishments and chat with the locals. Soooo...........need to know where to go in Juneau, Skagway. and Ketchikan. We do have some tours but will have time on our hands in the afternoons. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I'm going to assume you're planning on staying in downtown Juneau. Something to understand is that year-round citizens have leached out of downtown over the years. You'll encounter people who have to work down there and good old fashioned barflies who live in rent by the week places. :D

Bars: Any bar but The Red Dog Saloon will have regulars. Most are on South Franklin Street and there's also The Imperial--which is the oldest bar in Juneau--and The Viking on Front Street. Both places have tarted themselves up enough to get a certain amount of tourists, but they also retain their local customers. (All bars are now non-smoking, btw.)

Coffeeshops: The Paradise Cafe, right across from the dock on Marine Way, keeps a good amount of locals even as the hordes descend. Probably because they don't serve hamburgers. When I'm there slurping my mocha, I'll talk to any tourist who wants to strike up a conversation. Heritage Coffee has two locations. The larger one on Franklin gets a lot of tourists, but if you keep climbing up Franklin and turn left on Second, there's another smaller one. Further along Second if the Silverbow Bakery, which is pretty much all locals.

Another option is to take the bus over to Douglas, about 1/2 hour each way. Ask the driver to let you off at the Douglas Cafe, which is all locals. There's a dive bar across the street for more local action. Or if you want something a bit more civilized, the Island Pub is one street closer to the water, on 2nd Street, and has great views.

Skagway's last locals' bar closed last year. I don't know where the poor folks went but perhaps a Skagway local will post. I've found The Corner Cafe to be pretty much all locals.

Archived