Alaska specials on TV

Cruisin Together

Just set my DVR to record the following specials

Jan 15 - The Travel channel has Alaska - 1,000 places to see before you die. This comes on at 8:00 am central. Later on the same channel at 3:00 is the Chilkoot Trail.

Jan. 16th on National Geographic at 6:00 central is a special on Danali National Park.

Anthony Bourdain is also doing Alaska..His show is No Reservations on the Travel Channel..It shows him in the kitchen with some Alaskan Native Americans eating a seal...The grandmother says I cannot wait to eat the brains...It looks like they are butchering the seal and eating it raw right on the kitchen floor..

Anthony Bourdain is also doing Alaska..His show is No Reservations on the Travel Channel..It shows him in the kitchen with some Alaskan Native Americans eating a seal...The grandmother says I cannot wait to eat the brains...It looks like they are butchering the seal and eating it raw right on the kitchen floor..

In some ways shows like this are deceptive because they perpetuate the myths of Alaska regarding living in igloos, keeping sled dogs, and eating seal meat. Those who live here also value a good steak, wonderful sea food, and a cinnamon dolce latte at Starbucks. Many of the so-called nature shows are staged as well. I know for a fact that the Corwin series shot much of the purported "wild footage" at the Alaska Conservation Center not far from Anchorage.

Archived