For all those who have booked or are going to book the AOS - read this!

ckrobyn

Hello Again

I need info from the experts, which are all of you. We will be on AOS for the 12/21 cruise. We have selected Bernard's Tours while we are in St Maarten. One of the stops on Bernard's tour is Orient Beach with an alternative beach called le Galion beach. My questions are:

1. Has anyone used Bernard's tour before? Please share knowledge.

2. Has anyone been to le Galion beach? Please share knowledge.

3. What water sports are at Orient Beach and leGalion beach?

I thank you in advance for all your wonderful input and advice.

I have never heard of Bernard's tour before. I'm curious why they would have an alternative beach - Orient is beautiful. There are water sports available at Orient, I know there is parasailing for sure. I don't know anything about Galion beach :confused:

You will love the AOS :D

I have never heard of Bernard's tour before. I'm curious why they would have an alternative beach - Orient is beautiful. There are water sports available at Orient, I know there is parasailing for sure. I don't know anything about Galion beach :confused:

You will love the AOS :D

I am excited about the AOS and I am truly looking forward to this cruise.

They have an alternate beach because some people may be uncomfortable with some nudity or may not want their children to see some nudity.

I have attached the link to Bernard's tour. Read about him on another CC board.

http://www.bernardstours.com/

I just returned from AOS this past Sunday, and I took Bernard's tour.

I can recommend it highly.

He starts off with a visit to Rima's, which is the "Wal-Mart" of tourist type stuff. Clothing, trinkets, all manner of souvenirs, but at very good prices. In fact, I saw some of the same items (including Rima's labels) at some of the open-air markets in Marigot later in the tour. One word of warning though, which irritated me very much, Rima's will try to require a minimum $25 purchase to use a credit card, despite the fact that this violates every rule in the book, which they have agreed to follow in order to accept the cards. When I asked them if they were willing to be reported to MasterCard for violating the rules, it suddenly became a "request". One of my pet peeves...

Anyway, the tour was very good. He started out by asking if we wanted to see the planes land at Maho Beach, which we all did, so he adjusted the schedule to accommodate that. Stopped for almost 2 hours at OB, he did give the option for the other one, but nobody really cared. OB had parasailing, jetskis and I think some wind surfing, but not sure about that. There was also one of those huge floating island things out in the bay with a big "$10" sign on the side. We then took a scenic route through several areas, stopping again at Marigot, then Maho Beach for the airplane landings, then to Philipsburg for an optional hour of shopping.

Very informative, and a great value. The tour was over 6 hours long, and he took time to answer everyone's questions along the way. I'm planning to update my St. Martin cruise map at some point in the next few days with the route we took during the tour.

Theron

Thinking of booking the March 1st cruise, just trying to get a good price on the balacony. Any ideas there? lol TA found one at $2200

We would like to go 2 days ahead to sightsee San Juan.

Could you recommend an inexpenisve motel?

Thinking of booking the March 1st cruise, just trying to get a good price on the balacony. Any ideas there? lol TA found one at $2200

I just checked March 1st for you, and balconies start at $969.00 - not sure where your TA saw $2200? Suites start at $1699. These are CDN dollars so they should be a bit less in U.S.

There are no inexpensive motels in San Juan that I am aware of. In fact the hotel prices in San Juan are quite expensive. If you don't really care where you stay, then do some research and you will probably find a small motel/hotel with reasonable rates. The chain hotels will run you about $200 a night.

I just checked March 1st for you, and balconies start at $969.00 - not sure where your TA saw $2200? Suites start at $1699. These are CDN dollars so they should be a bit less in U.S.

There are no inexpensive motels in San Juan that I am aware of. In fact the hotel prices in San Juan are quite expensive. If you don't really care where you stay, then do some research and you will probably find a small motel/hotel with reasonable rates. The chain hotels will run you about $200 a night.

Ok just grabbed it off the email, per couple :

$2113.08 per couple

I am working a 2nd job just to go on vacation...I'm bummed at the cost, looks like I'll need a 3rd job :eek:

Try to bid on a resort and you will most likely get the Marriott or the Intercontinental both great hotels. See the bidding for travel website and the threads here for SanJuan for pointers on bidding for these hotels. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=131 I used Priceline.

In 2006 we stayed at the Marriott and Princess. This year we where at the Caribe Hilton and Intercontinental.

Ok just grabbed it off the email, per couple :

$2113.08 per couple

I am working a 2nd job just to go on vacation...I'm bummed at the cost, looks like I'll need a 3rd job :eek:

Would you consider an inside or ocean view stateroom? The inside starts at $599, and the ocean view at $719 - that would definitely bring your cost down.

Would you consider an inside or ocean view stateroom? The inside starts at $599, and the ocean view at $719 - that would definitely bring your cost down.

Well ....you know..... once you've had a balcony, you can never go back :p ;)

We are sailing on AOS Nov 16 and are looking forward to the warm caribbean on a great ship. We sailed AOS back in 2001 when she was brand new. We encountered no problems with the Puerto Ricans, they were friendly and fun loving.

My sister and I took a tour with Bernard this past July and had a fantastic time!! He is very friendly, kind and really knows his island!! Haven't heard of that alternative beach the other poster mentioned, we went to Orient.....didn't see any nudity at all. Have heard that most of it is on the far right beach. Don't remember what was available specifically but you could rent jet skies, parasail and get a massage.

Bernard also has lots of nice cold bottled water, beer and his famous rum punch!! Whatever you choose to do, you will have a wonderful time. The people are so friendly and the beaches/water are beautiful.

Lynda

My sister and I took a tour with Bernard this past July and had a fantastic time!! He is very friendly, kind and really knows his island!! Haven't heard of that alternative beach the other poster mentioned, we went to Orient.....didn't see any nudity at all. Have heard that most of it is on the far right beach. Don't remember what was available specifically but you could rent jet skies, parasail and get a massage.

Bernard also has lots of nice cold bottled water, beer and his famous rum punch!! Whatever you choose to do, you will have a wonderful time. The people are so friendly and the beaches/water are beautiful.

Lynda

Looking forward to our AOS cruise and our tour w/Bernard's tour. How many people does his bus hold? Did you go shopping before beach? His website says beach, than shopping. I prefer shopping than beach.

Looking forward to our AOS cruise and our tour w/Bernard's tour. How many people does his bus hold? Did you go shopping before beach? His website says beach, than shopping. I prefer shopping than beach.

He uses different sizes based on his reservations. We stopped at Rima first, then the rest of the tour. You will want to buy everything you might want at Rima's, they were by far the cheapest place we saw.

He was flexible with what our small group of 7 wanted to do.

Theron

He uses different sizes based on his reservations. We stopped at Rima first, then the rest of the tour. You will want to buy everything you might want at Rima's, they were by far the cheapest place we saw.

He was flexible with what our small group of 7 wanted to do.

Theron

What is Rima? Is it a store or a shopping area? What kinda of items are sold there?

I just returned from AOS this past Sunday, and I took Bernard's tour.

I can recommend it highly.

He starts off with a visit to Rima's, which is the "Wal-Mart" of tourist type stuff. Clothing, trinkets, all manner of souvenirs, but at very good prices. In fact, I saw some of the same items (including Rima's labels) at some of the open-air markets in Marigot later in the tour.

Theron

Rima's is a big store.

I was under the impression that people were too ashamed of their obvious lack of character to post questions generalizing a demographic group. Oh, that's right, we are anonymous on these boards. My mistake!

?????? where did that come from? :confused: Debbie

I was under the impression that people were too ashamed of their obvious lack of character to post questions generalizing a demographic group. Oh, that's right, we are anonymous on these boards. My mistake!

HUH????? :confused:

Rima's is a big store.

It's the "wal-mart" of tourist stuff. Almost literally. Lots of clothes, and just about every other kind of souvenir trinket you can imagine.

I even saw some "Rimas" labels on items at the open markets later on the tour in Marigot. :)

Be warned however, (this is a major pet peeve of mine...) they will want to require a minimum $25 purchase to use a credit card, despite the fact that this is in violation of their agreement with the credit card companies. The clerk whined about fees, etc, but the privilege of attracting customers who pay with that card is why they are required to abide by the agreement. If they want that privilege, then they need to follow the rules. Ok, done with my little soap box now. :D

Theron

Archived