For all those who have booked or are going to book the AOS - read this!

ckrobyn

I've seen this type of thread come up many times, and what I can't get an answer on is when do the local kids school year being and end? To us, its not so much who is on, but how many kids. We prefer to cruise when kids are still in school. Do Puerto Rican kids do the American norm of Sept - June?

Schools get out earlier than here on the mainland. Kids were out in PR when we cruised in mid-May.

This board is causing me to long for another AOS cruise. I wish I was sailing.:( This was DH and my 4th cruise and this was the best ever. We had so much fun. I love my DH but on this cruise I was deeply in love with him. It was as if we were in the honeymoon stage of our relationship. We shared a room with DD(16) so nothing happen but we were so in tuned to each.;):D

Can a ship/cruise really have the effect on a marriage?:confused:

Sounds to me like a lot happened. You had time to reconnect. Just being together in different surroundings, away from the "everyday" stuff, can do wonders for a couple. It gives you time to concentrate on each other (and family);). You spend time together, a lot of time, and you talk, in many cases, without interruptions. I think it does take you back, in many ways, to the beginning of your relationship. Makes you feel younger, attractive and romantic. Personally, I love getting away with DH, even for just an over-nighter!!! :p

Schools get out earlier than here on the mainland. Kids were out in PR when we cruised in mid-May.

I suspected that might be the case since it gets hotter sooner there. We like to cruise the end of April, early May. Although when we do this, I am not sure if we will do this ship, or possibly, the Serenade I think it is?

I suspected that might be the case since it gets hotter sooner there. We like to cruise the end of April, early May. Although when we do this, I am not sure if we will do this ship, or possibly, the Serenade I think it is?

Book the AOS - you will love it!!! :D

Just a heads up that the departure time from Aruba has been changed from 8:30pm to 6:00pm :rolleyes: I read about it on the main boards, but did not receive an email from RCI. Upon checking my cruise docs, I see this is in fact the case.....

Hello,

We will be on the AOS and my daughter would like to do the Dolphin Encounter. Since she is under 8, she needs a paid parent with her. Here is my question - My husband will go wtih her, but I would like to go as well to take pictures. Is there an option through RCCL for a discounted non-participant? It appears there is if I book directly with the dolphin place, however their website stipulates that if you are on a cruise you can't book with them. Does anyone have any experience here?

Thank you!

Just a heads up that the departure time from Aruba has been changed from 8:30pm to 6:00pm :rolleyes: I read about it on the main boards, but did not receive an email from RCI. Upon checking my cruise docs, I see this is in fact the case.....

Hmmm, my ticket still says we are in Aruba until 8:00pm. They are still offering the sunset sail excursion, that is supposed to be 2 hours long and depart at 5:00pm, BUT on the excursion site, it says the ship departs at 6:00pm!!!! Wonder how that works??? We get on the Catamaran at 5:00 and then reboard the ship at 7:00 somewhere in the middle of the sea??? LOL

Hmmm, my ticket still says we are in Aruba until 8:00pm. They are still offering the sunset sail excursion, that is supposed to be 2 hours long and depart at 5:00pm, BUT on the excursion site, it says the ship departs at 6:00pm!!!! Wonder how that works??? We get on the Catamaran at 5:00 and then reboard the ship at 7:00 somewhere in the middle of the sea??? LOL

oooops!!!!! I made a mistake :rolleyes: I just looked at my docs closely.....and the departure time from Aruba is listed at 8pm!!!!!!!

Sounds to me like a lot happened. You had time to reconnect. Just being together in different surroundings, away from the "everyday" stuff, can do wonders for a couple. It gives you time to concentrate on each other (and family);). You spend time together, a lot of time, and you talk, in many cases, without interruptions. I think it does take you back, in many ways, to the beginning of your relationship. Makes you feel younger, attractive and romantic. Personally, I love getting away with DH, even for just an over-nighter!!! :p

Well said. DH is a little more romantic;) and there is still a sparkle in our relationship.;);)

For anyone who has sailed the AOS recently (past month or so) is there a section of the pool deck roped off and reserved for suite guests? I have heard rumors of this and I am wondering if it is in effect fleet wide, or only on Freedom class ships?? :confused:

For anyone who has sailed the AOS recently (past month or so) is there a section of the pool deck roped off and reserved for suite guests? I have heard rumors of this and I am wondering if it is in effect fleet wide, or only on Freedom class ships?? :confused:

Hi Robyn, I did not see any roped off area on the pool deck last month.

oooops!!!!! I made a mistake :rolleyes: I just looked at my docs closely.....and the departure time from Aruba is listed at 8pm!!!!!!!

When are you sailing? Just last night, looked up my booking online for my 2/15/09 sailing, and the booking itinerary time for Aruba departure has indeed changed from 8:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.(must have changed very recently). Perhaps you should e-mail RCCL to confirm departure time. It may change your sunset excursion.

Hello everyone!! Im new to these boards and someone gave me a link to get here... how do I get back to the AOS boards from the RC boards? Sorry that is prob a very silly question lol!!!

Anyway- my fiance and I will be on the August 9, 2009 leaving from PR. Anyone else on this cruise too?

Hello everyone!! Im new to these boards and someone gave me a link to get here... how do I get back to the AOS boards from the RC boards? Sorry that is prob a very silly question lol!!!

Anyway- my fiance and I will be on the August 9, 2009 leaving from PR. Anyone else on this cruise too?

The link below will take you over to the AOS boards and there you can find out if a thread has been started for your Aug 9 cruise. If no thread has been started than maybe you should consider starting one.

Good Luck

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=256

When are you sailing? Just last night, looked up my booking online for my 2/15/09 sailing, and the booking itinerary time for Aruba departure has indeed changed from 8:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.(must have changed very recently). Perhaps you should e-mail RCCL to confirm departure time. It may change your sunset excursion.

I am sailing on Feb 22/09, and I have my cruise documents (not the e-docs, the paper one's) and they state that our departure time from Aruba is in fact 8pm, not 6pm as it states online. Not sure which is correct, my docs or the online itinerary??? :eek: I don't have a sunset excursion booked :confused:

Hi All,

"ckrobyn", I just have a question for you if you don't mind. Since you have flown down to San Juan several times:D

Do you leave from TO and which airline do you recommend?

There are so many confusing flight options, I'm not really sure which to take.

We are really looking forward to our AOS cruise this fall.

Love the thread, thanks for starting it:) I've only read parts I will have to go back and try to read it all.:eek:

Thanks Kar

Hi All,

"ckrobyn", I just have a question for you if you don't mind. Since you have flown down to San Juan several times:D

We are really looking forward to our AOS cruise this fall.

Love the thread, thanks for starting it:) I've only read parts I will have to go back and try to read it all.:eek:

Thanks Kar

Hi Kar - glad you found this thread!!

I have flown to San Juan from Toronto every year since 2006 and have done one of two options. I either grab the Air Canada direct flight out of Pearson at 6:30am Saturday morning arriving in San Juan around 2pm. Air Canada has 4 direct flights per week, but they are only on weekends. 2 on Saturday, and 2 on Sunday. I always encourage people to arrive at the port city at least one day early :)

This year we are flying into San Juan on the Friday before our cruise, and we are staying until the Monday after the cruise, so Air Canada was not an option. This time we booked American Airlines from Toronto to Miami, then from Miami to San Juan - we leave Toronto at 6:00am and we are in San Juan by 3:00pm, so it was a good option for us. I booked online through Expedia and got a very good price.

If you want to contact me directly, you can email me...

ckrobyn@hotmail.com

Happy Sailing!!!!!! :)

This will be our second trip from TO to San Juan. Last time we took the Saturday AC 6:30 am direct flight but that meant leaving the house at 3:00 am which really didn't start our vacation right. So this time we'll take Continental's 9:30 am flight with 1 stop which means we arrive in time for dinner which will be better for us. I was disappointed with the return flight we had the last time as it was too early for us to take the Rain Forest tour on the way to the airport. So this time we fly back at 7:00 pm so we have time for the tour, will hopefully miss some of the rush at the busy airport, and should have an hour or so to visit with my sister who will be on the way home via Buffalo from their Carnival Victory cruise. RCI/TO.........Carnival/Buffalo.........we've never agreed on anything. :D

em

Hi Kar - glad you found this thread!!

I have flown to San Juan from Toronto every year since 2006 and have done one of two options. I either grab the Air Canada direct flight out of Pearson at 6:30am Saturday morning arriving in San Juan around 2pm. Air Canada has 4 direct flights per week, but they are only on weekends. 2 on Saturday, and 2 on Sunday. I always encourage people to arrive at the port city at least one day early :)

This year we are flying into San Juan on the Friday before our cruise, and we are staying until the Monday after the cruise, so Air Canada was not an option. This time we booked American Airlines from Toronto to Miami, then from Miami to San Juan - we leave Toronto at 6:00am and we are in San Juan by 3:00pm, so it was a good option for us. I booked online through Expedia and got a very good price.

If you want to contact me directly, you can email me...

ckrobyn@hotmail.com

Happy Sailing!!!!!! :)

6 AM? Good lord, lol. That means you have to get up at 3? I could never do that.. well I could but I would be very very grumpy :D

6 AM? Good lord, lol. That means you have to get up at 3? I could never do that.. well I could but I would be very very grumpy :D

It is early - but we love it!!!

Our 12 yr old especially - getting up in the middle of the night, getting into the airport limo taxi.....all very exciting!!!! Honestly, we do it every year so it isn't a big deal to us :)

Hi Robyn, we are booking on June 7th on AOS out of San Juan to the 5 islands (Barbados, St. Croix, St. Lucia, St. Maarten, St. John-Antigua). Do you have any suggestions on whether a balcony would be better port side (L) or starboard ®? We also have a choice of a balcony far aft facing out to the ocean on Deck 7, but I was afraid of what I'd read on some of the posts about these cabins having obstructed views because of beams, etc. despite the great fact that they have larger balconies. Any advice on that?

Also, any suggestions on which beaches in each port to visit would be great, or any "must sees". We are trying to keep the excursion costs down, so unless there is an absolute "don't miss this" we would be happy visiting nice beaches.

Thanks!

Smileeface

We will be going on AOS arriving a few days early and staying at the Intercontinental. Is there a Walgreens, CVS or other similar place within walking distance where we could get sand toys?

Thank you!

There is definitely a Walgreens across from the Marriott Stellaris - I have bought sand toys there before :)

I stayed at the Intercontinental once, only for one night - so I didn't notice if there was a Pharmacy nearby :rolleyes: In case there isn't one, you could always stop at the one on the Condado across from the Marriott - it is on your way to the port.

I would however be surprised if there wasn't a Walgreens or the like near your hotel - there has to be something in Isle Verde!

Hope this helps???

Archived