For all those who have booked or are going to book the AOS - read this!

ckrobyn

Hi, ckrobyn,

thank you for your post. we have booked AOS in the coming march to south caribbean. can we have following questions:

this is an old ship, even though not that old, is it a clean one after her refurbish

compared to IOS which we took and very satisfied with, any big difference?

we really had great experience with IOS, we don't want to be disappointed to AOS. tell me more to make us confidence to AOS

thanks

Hi there :)

I am very glad to hear that you had such a wonderful experience on the Independence. I sailed on the Freedom for the first time last August, and while the Freedom class are definitely bigger ships - there was not a huge difference between Freedom class and the Voyager class (which the AOS is a part of)

RCI takes good care of their ships - during drydock and all year round with a crew that are proud of where they work. Will you see a difference between the IOS and AOS in terms of newness? Yes you will. Having said that, you may see normal wear and tear in common areas ( 3500 people a week, 52 weeks a year makes for SOME wear and tear!)

You will have a fabulous time on the AOS, she is a great ship with a fantastic crew!!!:D

thanks for your reply. since we are a big group, from 10 years old to 70 years old, what specific excurtions you will recommend? and if we have 3-4 hours in SJ before our flight, do you think we have time to visit the rainforest in SJ, or where we can have the rainforest experience during this trip?

thanks for your reply. since we are a big group, from 10 years old to 70 years old, what specific excurtions you will recommend? and if we have 3-4 hours in SJ before our flight, do you think we have time to visit the rainforest in SJ, or where we can have the rainforest experience during this trip?

Which itinerary? Depends on if you like water activites, beach or land excursions and of course, cost (esp since you have a big group).

Here are a few of my excursions (for both itineraries):

Barbados - SILVERMOON

St Lucia - COSOL, Zip Line and Mt Bike Excursions

Antigua - See Antigua by the Sea (Excellence), Eli's Eco Tour

Aruba - TOMCAR

Curacao - BAZZ Dune Buggy

St Thomas - Christmas Cove and Honeymoon Beach (on Bones); BOSS

Parasailing in St Croix and St Thomas is nice. Diving in Aruba, Curacao, Dominica, St Lucia and Barabdos is decent.

I'm sure others will add their favorites.

Hi there :)

I am very glad to hear that you had such a wonderful experience on the Independence. I sailed on the Freedom for the first time last August, and while the Freedom class are definitely bigger ships - there was not a huge difference between Freedom class and the Voyager class (which the AOS is a part of)

RCI takes good care of their ships - during drydock and all year round with a crew that are proud of where they work. Will you see a difference between the IOS and AOS in terms of newness? Yes you will. Having said that, you may see normal wear and tear in common areas ( 3500 people a week, 52 weeks a year makes for SOME wear and tear!)

You will have a fabulous time on the AOS, she is a great ship with a fantastic crew!!!:D

I just came off the Monarch, which is some 8 years older than the AOS and I was really surprised at the great condition of the ship. My last cruise on that class of ship (Sovereign Class- we sailed the Majesty), was in 1993! I was really shocked at what great shape she was in. RCCL takes great care of their ships and we found the condition of the AOS to be better in 2008 than it was in 2006 because you now have the new bedding, new carpets in the cabins and all the teak railings refinished. They are always doing something around the ship and though you will always see wear and tear, by now I'm sure you could find some on Oasis as well.

Does anyone know about booking a parasailing outing with RCCL? I understand that Cruzan Breezan has a contract with the cruise lines but I just do not want to get stuck waiting on the ship for my time to parasail. If anyone knows please let me know.

Thanks

Marcia:cool:

Okay, got your itinerary. Taking first class and then spending the night at the airport is really undoing all that pampering. We can easily get you a hotel room under $100 so you can crash, shower up and have a nice breakfast. You want to arrive at the pier at 11:00am and if you spend the night at the airport, you will feel like you rode in coach sandwiched in between sumo wrestlers! :)

Perfect words. I could not have pictured it different. :eek: :D

I hope you can help them. :)

I wish they did too!

The airfare from Toronto to San Juan kills me every year!!! :D Oh well...the AOS is worth it!

Try flying out of Buffalo; much cheaper and Buffalo airport parking is easy and cheap compared to Toronto. There are usually coupons on the internet as well. We just booked a really inexpensive flight from SJ to BUF for December when we return from a TA on AOS.

Laura in Hamilton

In one week, we will be on the AOS for our first B2B. Can't wait. Thank you to all of you for the great tips and info.

Anna:)

Anna!!! I am SO jealous!!!!!! Well, not so much since it will be my turn in 34 more days for our B2B :D;)

Have a FANTASTIC cruise!!!!! Think of me freezing here in Toronto while you are soaking up that Caribbean sun!!!

Anna!!! I am SO jealous!!!!!! Well, not so much since it will be my turn in 34 more days for our B2B :D;)

Have a FANTASTIC cruise!!!!! Think of me freezing here in Toronto while you are soaking up that Caribbean sun!!!

Hi, Robyn,

Are you in Toronto? Me too. you are saying that you have 34 days of next sail? also in march? are we on the same one?

Just returned to a very chilly England after 3 wonderful weeks b2b on Adventure. Our first time on this ship (but not with RC) and had a great time, the ship was in good condition and the staff, some of whom have become firm friends, were absolutely great.

Oh that's great news. Glad you had a good cruise. We are going in May - first time on RCI for us so hope it is as good as you say! :D

And yes - it is very cold!!!!

Hi, Robyn,

Are you in Toronto? Me too. you are saying that you have 34 days of next sail? also in march? are we on the same one?

Hey there :) Yes, we must be on the same sailing! I am onboard for the week of March 7th as well as the week of March 14th.

You should join our roll call by clicking here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=19918059#post19918059

thanks so much, mike. we have the same first three port as you had, and those you mentioned are what we're planning, but i don't think it's good for the old ones, we have to find something for them. thanks for sharing.

Actually, Silvermoon and Excellence would be Ok for the older folks. If you can get the Silvermoon for 12 people that is ideal (IMHO). Plenty of shade and comfortable (if that is a concern). On Excellence, saw several older folks (and I use that term loosely as I am gaining on that group so to me 80 or up is older).

I may have asked this before, but how far out do they issue cruise dox?

One more question - since there are 4 of us in the same cabin, do I need to print one set sail pass or 4?

I'm so excited I can't stand it! I'm still trying to figure out excursions. I hope to have all of that booked by Valentines Day.

Oh yeah - the stuff I purchased from Gifts and Gear (wine, cheese, wine, champagne, chocolate covered strawberries, wine - see a pattern here?:D) doesn't appear in my "cruise enhancements", but the soda cards and our Portofino's reservation does appear. I have a printout of what I ordered as well as my credit card statement showing payment - should I be worried that my order just "disappeared"? Or am I just being paranoid after reading too many posts about stuff being ordered and then not being delivered?

Thanks for all the help!

In one week, we will be on the AOS for our first B2B. Can't wait. Thank you to all of you for the great tips and info.

Anna:)

rianvi, looking forward to meeting you at the informal meeting on day 1. Kaboochi This has been a grea thread - lots of ino

We took this ship in October of 09. We enjoyed the ship and did not notice more Puerto Ricans than anyone else. I do have advice for the ports.

St. Croix: When you walk outside the terminal of St. Croix there are two tents set up for transportation to beaches. One will take you to Frederiksted which I did not see but I can say it was only down the street and would have been easy to return from if you were unhappy.

The other tent provided transportation to Christiansted Beach. DO NOT DO THIS! This was a nightmare! I explained to the lady my mother had bad knees and we needed something that dropped us right at the beach. She of course said yes, this did. First the trip which they tell you is 20 minutes was 65 minutes of nothing scenic to look at it. My 6 year old was pushing the biggest melt down ever as it was hot. Then we get there and we are dropped off about 1/2 a mile from the shops/beach. After arguing with the man he will not bring us closer. We walk all the way to the town area ONLY to find out the only way to get to this beach is to walk another 1/4 mile to a water taxi. The water taxi line was huge and then after walking all the way over there we learn the water taxi will take SIX people at a time. OMG. I am ready to kill someone. My poor mother is almost in tears. When we finally get on the taxi and over to the beach I am pushing a nervous beakdown as the beach is maybe 1/2 the size of a football field and there are 200 people already there. So now we have wasted 2 hours and we are now sitting at what seems to be a camp ground beach. Of course now there is the fear how long would we have to wait to get back if these 200 people get in line and they can only take 6 at a time back. Please do not do this! It is a waste of time and effort. Don't ruin your time doing this.

The little town seemed quaint and had a few restaurants so if you wanted to ride in a bus for an hour to shop or have lunch this might be okay but do not go there for the beach. It's hardly a beach at all.

Also in St. Lucia we were very disappointed in the beaches. We had a cab driver take us to 3 beaches and all were dirty looking and nothing like the pictures you see. Reduit Beach aka Rodney Bay was the worst. The other two were Pigeon Island Nation park and the beach located directly outside the gates of this park. VERY disappointing beaches. No white sand - and not appealing at all. Do your reseach before you go.

In Barbados we did a tour booked on our own. It was amazing. I highly recommend this. It was so much fun and you didn't feel like a cattle herd. They only took about 8 passengers at a time. They went to feed the sea turles and you got to swim with them and they took you to a snorkeling spot. They fed you a homemade lunch which was awesome and gave you drinks all day. Two guys run this. It was expensive but worth every penny.

The name is Calabaza Sailing. Website is

http://www.calabazasailingcruises.com/crew.html

Tell Kallie Theresa and Gracie from Nashville, TN sent you!

Joanna - where in Toronto are you from?

I look forward to meeting you at the M&M too!!! :D:D

Hi, Robyn,

i'm in markham. great if we'll meet on board. we have some friends with us, 4 elders, 6 adults and 5 kids. where can i meet you?

Hi, Robyn,

i'm in markham. great if we'll meet on board. we have some friends with us, 4 elders, 6 adults and 5 kids. where can i meet you?

Joanna - we are in Richmond Hill. Travelling with my parents and our daughter who is 13.

If you register for the official meet and mingle by clicking the link below - we can meet onboard :)

https://secure.royalcaribbean.com/ccEntry.do

Archived