Scooter in Vatican

KateDen

We are planning to visit the Vatican after our cruise in May. My husband uses a scooter. I wrote to Angel Tours and explained our situation and they may give us a private tour. They were not certain if scooters are allowed in the museum and the Sistine Chapel and said that we may miss several rooms.

Has anyone had experience with a scooter at the Vatican? Are there any recommended tour companies that you have used? Would it be better to rent a wheelchair for the day or is that any better? My husband can walk short distances, but I know that trying to walk through the entire Vatican is just not do-able for him.

Thank you for any information. This is our first time to Rome and we want to be sure to see the Vatican.

Kate

KateDen, We visited the Vatican last November when things are suppose to be less caotic but it was standing room only and then sometimes you had to push your way through to keep sight of your guide. I remember reading that their were tours that offered tours for the handicapped but I'm not sure just which ones. I do however think that they would have to be before opening as there is no way a person in a wheelchair or scooter could manage the crowd. I Also remember that there were steps also so there will be areas that he won't be able to see but it will still be worth the trip. Now, just our experience with Angel Tours. We had confirmed a tour with the Vatican through them with Angel Ruth and were extremely disapointed because they never showed up on the day of the tour. I would do some investigating through the internet for other guides that offer these tours. There is also a vast amount of information on CC on the Europe page. Hope this helps and be sure to check out the Europe pages there is a vast amount of information there.

Thank you both for your quick responses. I've read (and reread) every post I can find about Vatican tours, but couldn't find one specifically addressing the scooter issue, so you have been very helpful.

We may want to rethink this whole tour since neither one of us enjoys huge crowds. Perhaps we will just visit the Basilica... on foot... slowly.

Kate

The last time I was in Rome was 2005. I use a rollator now but was managing with a cane and my husband's help back then. When you get to the Vatican museum you will be directed by an alternate route to the Sistine Chapel. Although there are steps on this route they all have manned lifts. You will miss many rooms of the museum but will see several exhibits and the chapel. My problem in the chapel was I was there with at least 3 or 400 other people who pushed against me and I almost fell. There are seats around the perimeter where you can rest and view the ceiling. I wish fewer people were admitted at anyone time. St. Peter's was much easier. After entering the plaza outside the church there were ramps that lead into the church. I could easily get to everything on the level of the basilica. My husband went down to the grotto and up to a higher level while I stayed in St. Peter's. My favorite area was the pieta. There is seating here. It was not as crowded as the museum and chapel I would guess there were 50 to 100 people there when we visited. As an aside, we also went to a church close to the coliseum called St. Pietro di vin Coli (St. Peter in Chains). This church has Michalangelo's Moses and it was completely empty when we were there.

I would think that doing the Sistine Chapel would be very hard to do on a scooter. You will be in a heavy crowd so moving forward at a controlled speed will be tricky. We did it in a manual chair and it was hard. People are looking up and are not aware of things that are below their view.

St Peters should be no problem.

Thank you both for your quick responses. I've read (and reread) every post I can find about Vatican tours, but couldn't find one specifically addressing the scooter issue, so you have been very helpful.

We may want to rethink this whole tour since neither one of us enjoys huge crowds. Perhaps we will just visit the Basilica... on foot... slowly.

Kate

just a note.....expect huge crowds at the Basilica.......there are long lines for the security check.......and many tour groups going through. But still go.....even if the Bacilica is all you see.....there is plenty to see of this beautiful place.

Hi

I visited the Vatican in October this year with my father who uses a small travel scooter. We had a private tour of Rome with Rome in Limo and they organised a private guide (Angelica I think) for the Vatican she was excellent (150 Euro and worth every cent). She was very interesting when talking about the paintings, she could take us to the lifts and she helped with crowd control, especially when we had to back track for the lift.

The corridors are wide and easy to navigate although the crowds built up as we neared the Sistine Chapel. The wheelchair access to the Sistine chapel is through the normal exit, there is a stairlift (which was tight for the scooter when leaving) the guards stop everyone inside the chapel so that you have a clear wheel along the narrow corridor.

Once inside the chapel the guards cleared a path through the crowds so my father was able to stand in the middle and view the painting. This was an amazing experience, the guards don't speak English so having the guide with us to translate was good and I am sure she asked the guards for help with the crowds.

The Vatican is worth visiting

Purdy

I would think that doing the Sistine Chapel would be very hard to do on a scooter.

There's a back entrance that makes entry easy. You also bypass the crowd :)

Italy makes a good effort to assist those with mobility issues.

There's a back entrance that makes entry easy. You also bypass the crowd :)

Italy makes a good effort to assist those with mobility issues.

I agree that getting to the chapel would be no problem because you are really going into the exit area but my comment pertained to being in the Sistine Chapel itself. On a scooter you will need someone to part the crowds to let you move around. Most people will be standing solid and not moving. Some people may get panicked by this. As we all know, we encourage everyone to do everything that would like to but also want to be honest on the challenges.

We have booked a private tour with Angel Tours. They will meet us at our hotel and we will all taxi over to the Vatican. We will borrow a wheelchair and visit at least the Sistine Chapel and St. Peters -- and any other accessible rooms available that day. Hopefully all will go well. I will give a report when we return, though we won't be there until May.

Thanks to all for your help!

Kate

• 3 weeks later...

You will probably have no problems. My wife uses a scooter. We've been to the Vatican, both the museum, the chapel and the basilica, many times and the employees at the Vatican are very accommodating. You will see much of the museum simply walking to the Sistine Chapel. Although the chapel is crowded, they don't throw you out so you can stay as long as you like until you're ready to go on to St. Peter's.

I highly recommend going to the Treasury, which is on the left-hand side of St. Peter's as you are facing the main altar. It houses many artifacts, including chalices, reliquaries, and vestments all in gold and studded with precious gems. And it is completely accessible. You may have to ask a guard to direct you to it; it's a bit difficult to find.

We have arranged for a private tour in the afternoon, which is supposed to be a little less crowded than morning. We will bring the scooter and hope it works, if not, then we will borrow a wheelchair. My husband can walk short distances, so we may be able to see some of the rooms that way.

Thank you all for your help. Cruise Critic people rock! :D

Kate

• 2 weeks later...

Archived