Question from a new cruiser

I am the type of person who ALWAYS books my vacations as soon as rates are available. I do not like to wait until last minute. I have been known to plan years in advance. I want to take my DH on our first cruise ever in June of 2009. Would I be making a mistake to book as soon as rates come out? Is it much better, savings wise, to wait until the last minute or closer to time? I really can't wait until too last minute, because I need to make arrangements for someone to keep my kids. My parents and sister have already agreed to keeping them, but want dates as soon as possible.

The problem is this is a surprise trip for my DH, so cost is coming out of my pocket entirely. I don't make a ton of money, so I am trying to figure out what the best way to get a goodrate is. Not that I would know a good rate if I saw one, but I guess I will learn that soon enough. Thanks for any advice you can give me.

I think your best bet is as soon as the rates are published OR right before sailing (they want to fill up any unbooked cabins), its your call. IMO, I would book as soon as the rates are published, you'll get a better selection of cabins to choose from if you go that route. Also, there are better times of the year to go. The weeks between Thanksgiving and Christmas and right after the first of the year are usually cheaper than the summer months. We booked our December cruise on the Independance of the Seas the instant the rates were published - I feel we got a good deal.

By the way, I know on Royal Caribbean that if you find a lower price on their website that is NOT restricted to new bookings only, they will refund the difference. BUT it has to be for the exact same category of room.

On my Jewel trip, my roomie & I managed to get 3 price drops about a month before sailing, totalling several hundred dollars each!

Another caveat here is, if you book through a TA, any changes must be done by the TA, so they would have to call and ask for the price drop, and some TAs don't like to do this as it affects their commission.

Book now. Any price drops before final payment have your TA request the price change from the cruise line. On my 11 day in Feb there was a price drop after final payment, went from a assigned room to a guarentee. Saved 70 dollars per person and went from a 4A to a 9.

By the way, I've "surprised" my wife and daughter three times with a cruise. It's always a thrill to see the excitement on their faces when I tell them. Haev a great cruise.

You've surprised them THREE times??!! Divorce them right now and marry me!! :D

Archived