Sewer Smell

SPARKY12

What is going on with sewer smells in ships? Just got off the Valor and we smelled it almost daily in our room, the hallway and at the tables by the pool, It would come and go. It can't be too healthy to be smelling this all week. It's gross, enough to make you not want to cruise. A few days we woke up to that smell. I complained to the purser's desk and they acted like they never heard of it. but other passengers complained about it also. I have cruised since the 70's and have never heard of this. I did a search on google for sewer smell and passengers on the Holiday, Glory, Triumph and the Caribbean Princess have smelled it also.

We were on the Sensation in Oct. of 06 and our room had a bad sewer type smell in it, although it almost had a chemical-like smell too........anyways, we quickly reported it to the Pursers desk who sent someone to remedy it immediately (it was some drain pipe that needed cleaning out or something) and they sent us 5 free drink tickets for the trouble. I didn't smell it again on the ship though. No big deal to me. You have that many people on a ship things are bound to happen and they fixed it quickly.

What is going on with sewer smells in ships? Just got off the Valor and we smelled it almost daily in our room, the hallway and at the tables by the pool, It would come and go. It can't be too healthy to be smelling this all week. It's gross, enough to make you not want to cruise. A few days we woke up to that smell. I complained to the purser's desk and they acted like they never heard of it. but other passengers complained about it also. I have cruised since the 70's and have never heard of this. I did a search on google for sewer smell and passengers on the Holiday, Glory, Triumph and the Caribbean Princess have smelled it also.

In all our cruising, (as best as I can remember~~you know the memory is the first to go at my age ;) ) I can only remember a sewer smell in the back stairwell area of a couple of the Fantasy class cruises (sorry I can not remember which one).

We just got off the Holiday last month and no smell. We sailed the Victory in Sept/Oct and no smell. We sailed the Fantasy 3 times before these this year and no smell.

I believe that some of it is "the nature of the beast". You are on a vessel that is "self contained". That can lead to an occasional odd smell.

Another problem is "passengers". You have passengers who flush what they should not...either by accident or (as in the case of the Liberty) on purpose that clogs the system.

It can't be too healthy to be smelling this all week.

It is not a health hazzard. No, not pleasant, but not dangerous unless the gas level builds to the point of explosive. But, if it did, you would be passed out long before due to lack of oxygen................

Seriously, though, I have had the "experience" of working around sewage treatment plants over the years because of my job and had asked the same question years ago. Besides, the sewage smell is NOTHING compared to that experienced at a rendering plant!:(

I did notice it while in port on the Glory last year in the hallway, but it was gone when we returned to our cabin. I guess it could have been another guest who had a bad mixture at the buffet (?)

In all our cruising, (as best as I can remember~~you know the memory is the first to go at my age ;) ) I can only remember a sewer smell in the back stairwell area of a couple of the Fantasy class cruises (sorry I can not remember which one).

My DH and I just got off the Fantasy, and the strong smell of sewer was in our bathroom. We were in E106. I complained to our steward, and she said okay, but nothing was done about it. I was sick the whole trip, it was my first cruise, and most likely, my last!

My DH and I just got off the Fantasy, and the strong smell of sewer was in our bathroom. We were in E106. I complained to our steward, and she said okay, but nothing was done about it. I was sick the whole trip, it was my first cruise, and most likely, my last!

It seems if you keep the toilet seat lid down the smell is not as bad. I have smelt it on most of the ships we have been on. The worst was on the Sun. The smell was coming out of the restrooms right around the corner from the buffet. When we sailed on her the second time it was not a problem. The smells tend to come and go.

Dave

Archived