April 6 Transatlantic weather, dress & other questions

lifelover

This is our first cruise on Seabourn. I need advice before we pack!

1. What's the usual weather for the April transatlantic cruise; too cold on the decks to sit outside? swimming? heavy jackets needed?

2. What do women usually wear during the day around the ship? Nice jeans OK or only dressy slacks? Dresses?

3. On formal nights, how many men opt for a dark suit in lieu of tux? I don't want my husband to feel out of place and no way are we staying in our room!

4. Has anyone tried sending a box of clothing home from Lisbon rather than using the expensive shipping services?

Thanks so much to all of you willing to share your experiences! We can hardly wait for April!

I feel badly that no one has responded. I haven't done a W>E crossing. I do know, however, that I have rarely seen jeans. During the day, women and men can be found on the decks in bathing suits, shorts, and other cruise casual wear. Save the dressy things for after 6. Shorts are ok in the dining room for breakfast and lunch, but not after then. The previous thread discusses wear for the Bar-B-Cue. I find that women can mix and match and pack less. But many find it great fun to have a different outfit for every evening. Most men wear tuxes, I think. If you do a search on this site, you will find other posts about clothing. I do think if DHL has offices in Lisbon, you could arrange sending a suitcase home without using Seabourn.

And, I am sure that others will correct my impressions! Except for the impression that you will have a wonderful time.

We made this sailing last year - leaving in late March. First - it was fantastic. We loved every moment of it....but then, we really like sea days.

Weather - First couple of days out of port were quite rough, so being on deck wasn't really an option. But once that settled down, weather was lovely - upper 60s and 70s. We had most lunches outside at the Sky Bar; folks were using the pool and whirlpool and sunbathing on deck.

Lisbon was cooler than at-sea; jacket or light coat required.

I think we did see some jeans in the daytime, but more prevalent are casual pants/khakis for women and men. I'd estimate that tuxes out-numbered dark suits, but your husband will not feel 'out of place' in a nice dark suit and tie.

Hope you have a fabulous time!

Thanks so much Jane and ltSally! First, Jane, you have been so helpful on all the topics! Second, LtSally, I was surprised to read that the temps were as high on the ship. I was packing for cooler weather on the ship. So a special thanks. I know it could be different, but it helps. We booked this cruise a year and a half before sailing. I can hardly believe it's coming up pretty soon!

Marja, Funny you should mention music. I'm a musician in my little town, music director for all the Broadway shows at the colleges and downtown theatre. What kinds of fun singing opportunities are there on the Legend?

Archived