St. Maarten Construction Mess

CGAGE

Just thought I would share our experience last week in St. Maarten while cruising on the AOS. There were some heavy swells while we were there, therefore the water taxi was not operating. No big deal...about the taxi, but in all of my cruises, I don't ever remember seeing the ship rock at the pier while docked. Kinda spooky considering the weather was beautiful and boy was it HOT!!!

We took a taxi to Front St. to do some shopping and were suprised to be dropped off just behind Front St. They are re-doing the street, sidewalks and sewage lines all along the main shopping area. The street was all sand and dirt, the sidewalk is all torn up on both sides...they are installing brick pavers...and for most of the stores, you had to walk across a piece of plywood to enter. Business seemed to be down a little...I didn't see as much action on the street as usual. The area where the water taxi picks and drops off (where the Burker King is) is all done with palm trees and beautiful pavers. I'm sure the end result will be more than worth all the mess they have there now, it's just that we didn't know about it before hand. My husband heard Shelby (the shopping girl on our ship) say that there was construction, but I didn't. We are both in "OK" shape and didn't really have a problem, but people with strollers and/or wheelchairs may have a heck of a time.

Anyway...just wanted to share that. Let me know if you have any specific questions.

Thanks-

Thanks -this is good information and we appreciate the "heads up"!

Since we have been to St Maartens a number of times, we are considering the St Bart's excursion. Has anyone been to St Barts and is it worth seeing?

At least we won't have to mess with construction in St Maartens!

I would appreciate any info on St Barts or the excursion to St Barts from St Maarten.

We were there last month and agree, it definitely was a mess. They had everything torn up. The water taxi had only one stop now while this is going on and it is quite a walk to get to the main shopping, especially if it is very hot outside which it usually is.

No idea how long they will have this torn up, never thought to ask. But you know they never get into any hurry down there so it might be a while.

The big problem will be that anyone that has problems walking, wheel chairs or the elderly might want to think twice before heading out to shop, it is a bit on the dangerous side if you are not sure footed.

Archived