Fuel Surcharge Illegal?

abitaturbodog

Any word from the AG's office? I filed a complaint two months ago and have heard nothing. usmale002@aol

Thanks again!!

I received a form letter telling me they are looking it my claim. That's about it.

It doesn't hurt the MORE people file.

While some say to basically "suck it up" - Why should I? Will it stop me from cruising? No. It's just the principle of the whole thing. They could have raised cruise prices for new bookings and no one would have been the wiser.

Funny thing is by them spliting it out like they have it looks a great deal when you start to look at the pricing for a new cruise - WOW, look at that great price - then WHAM taxes, fees and fuel surcharge. Why not be upfront? Add it to the price of the cruise and get it over with. Taxes, fees ect get everyones feathers up. You just can't get away from it - but to retroactively ding everyone is unjustified.

Okay dont gloat its a little premature. True it doesnt count for those booking already paid in full prior to the announcement however future Canadian bookings still have to pay so maybe your TA should have told you the whole story instead of saying Canadians dont have to pay which then caused you to assume erroneously about foreign passengers.

And socialized medicine ain't no picnic either. :rolleyes:

As the OP, I meant for this topic to be discussed. Klfrodo, if you don't agree with what people write, don't belittle them and tell them that they're going to DIE if they choose to post their opinion. And if you think that your last line makes it okay to write what you did, you're wrong.

I've seen much more heated debate over what to wear to formal night.

What is it with cranky people lately. Klfrodo obviously meant no harm. Chill.

Someone offers their opinion and you don't like it so you turn it into a drama.

So, if someone want's to offer a reply in a public forum, and it's obvious they dont' mean no harm, then DON'T BELITTLE THEM.

Great post. I took it in the manner intended I believe. ;) :D

We managed to take our cruise on the Inspiration 3 weeks after this fuel stuff started, and I didn't think about fuel at all until we stopped at the gas station during the drive home.

To each their own, but for me, this horse is dead when the Florida AG says it's dead. I'll not be putting my name to another "blank check" contract anytime soon, and regardless of your opinion of the old contract, it's indisputable that the new contract is EXACTLY that.

Thanks for taking the post in the manner it was intended.

Having to accept the new language of the contract tells me that Carnival is still trying to put lipstick on this pig. Three years from now and it's all settled, I'll happily accept my Classaction refund check of $2.00 after all the attornies take their cut. :p

Having to accept the new language of the contract tells me that Carnival is still trying to put lipstick on this pig. Three years from now and it's all settled, I'll happily accept my Classaction refund check of $2.00 after all the attornies take their cut. :p

The subtlety here is, by encouraging people to hit up the AG with complaints, there is a chance a full blown class-action suit is unnecessary. More or less like the cruise industry port charge fraud cases of 1997. LINK

YUP - us too. We will be happy to accept the $2 check from the pig with the lipstick.:p

I just spent 4.5 hours (seriously) today on calls and on hold with Carnival regarding the new "On Board Charge Account" and "Acceptance of Contract". In their hurry to get all of us to 'agree' to the contract they failed to work out the glitches in the online system. I spoke with 5 representatives, two supervisors, and the fun pass department - no one could figure out how to put guests in additional rooms on the same charge account. We could do one couple, but then that was it.

For those of you who think you have all of your online pre-registration completed for your cruise - go back and take another look. This is brand new this week.

This company just doesn't know when to quit.

We've jumped through more hoops like trained seals to get on this cruise and are really having our patience tried. Nonetheless, we will go and have a great time.

Thank you to ALL of you who keep the torch burning on this surcharge issue.

For us it's about those of us who booked and paid in full for our cruise - then got hit with this charge. Its the principal - not the money.

Thanks again everyone!!:D

I'm taking a large group from Canada but booked with large US company on Princess; leaving in less that three weeks.

Princess initally charged all of us the fuel charge. Thankfully I read on Cruise Critic, that some Canadians were getting it back; approached my US travel agent; she fought with Princess and finally won and the Canadians are getting it back.

BUT no luck with cruise I'm taking another large group on with Carnival.

Anyone have any knowledge on this subject or any luck getting it back from Carnival?

Hi there,

I have put info on other similar boards about this topic.

I arranged for a group of 14 of us to take a 12 day cruise with Carnival and a group of 20 of us to take a 6 day cruise. We are Canadian but I booked with a US TA. We were all booked prior to this Fuel Supplement being implemented.

The surcharge adds $1,440.00 to Carnival's pockets just from our cruises alone.

I have fought this issue to death, spent hours on the phone with many different Carnival Departments, had a conference call with a supervisor and my TA, been transferred to Carnival's legal department and been told someone would call me back and never did, tried to contact the Florida AG

I am all out of ideas.

Will we pay? Yes because we have no choice but don't think that this hasn't left a bad taste. I cruise multiple times a year and my loyalty will no longer be with Carnival as it used to be, Loyalty has gone out the window!

Some people are fed up reading the posts about this issue and don't feel it's worth thinking about. That's too bad because this is exactly what Carnival wants to happen. They hope we will all just quietly accept this. Then we can prepare ourselves for another illegal surcharge in the near future and this will be repeated.

We may not get the surcharge revoked but at least we know we have done what we can.

Hi there,

I have put info on other similar boards about this topic.

I arranged for a group of 14 of us to take a 12 day cruise with Carnival and a group of 20 of us to take a 6 day cruise. We are Canadian but I booked with a US TA. We were all booked prior to this Fuel Supplement being implemented.

The surcharge adds $1,440.00 to Carnival's pockets just from our cruises alone.

I have fought this issue to death, spent hours on the phone with many different Carnival Departments, had a conference call with a supervisor and my TA, been transferred to Carnival's legal department and been told someone would call me back and never did, tried to contact the Florida AG

I am all out of ideas.

Will we pay? Yes because we have no choice but don't think that this hasn't left a bad taste. I cruise multiple times a year and my loyalty will no longer be with Carnival as it used to be, Loyalty has gone out the window!

Some people are fed up reading the posts about this issue and don't feel it's worth thinking about. That's too bad because this is exactly what Carnival wants to happen. They hope we will all just quietly accept this. Then we can prepare ourselves for another illegal surcharge in the near future and this will be repeated.

We may not get the surcharge revoked but at least we know we have done what we can.

I fully agree with you. WE are being taken advantage of and the charges will keep piling IF we don't show them we are upset and try to do something about it.

Cna you send me a copy of what you wrote so I can send it also; rather than re inventing the wheel and me tyoing another one; perhaps more poeple would send a copy IF they knew how to word it.

Did you read the thread about Princess charging and putting it on our on board ship account: 83 cents for additional FLL tax. How low can one go!

Are we writing to Carnaval as well telling them what we think if this latest charge?

Don't take the other "non fighting people" serious. If everyone sat back and did nothing then we are whimps! and the charges will just get worse. Good to see there are poeple like you out there!

I agree.

I have paid my fuel surcharge - after I was paid in full - and will have a wonderful time on our cruise.

However, I too believe in letting people know that what they did was wrong, inappropriate, bad business decision, dare I say illegal - you choose the word. I have spoken with supervisors. I wrote a letter to Mr. Arison and received a form letter back that was embarrassing. I filed a complaint with the AG's office and received confirmation that they are investigating.

Well, I have done what is all that can be done to let the powers that be know how I feel. I will let the AG take it from here.

Okay dont gloat its a little premature. True it doesnt count for those booking already paid in full prior to the announcement however future Canadian bookings still have to pay so maybe your TA should have told you the whole story instead of saying Canadians dont have to pay which then caused you to assume erroneously about foreign passengers.

I just booked my legend cruise (from canada) yesterday and there is the $70 fuel charge on the bill for both my wife and I

It's not on the Florida Attorney General website yet, but the office called and told me they have opened an investigation. I was told that they have met with Carnival and are talking with Royal Caribbean.

I can corroborate this, they are indeed returning calls and I was told the same thing.

OK the solution to this is easy. There are 36 of us going on a 2 week Carnival Cruise in April 08. We have all decided not to tip the Waiters, Bus Boys, and Room Steward. This will get us all our 70 dollars back and then some. It will also send a message to Carnival through their employees. When these people don't get a tip and we let them know that it is because of the fuel surcharge, Carnival will have a whole bunch of disgruntled employees to deal with.

I urge all of you to rise up and send Carnival a message by not tipping their employees.

OK the solution to this is easy. There are 36 of us going on a 2 week Carnival Cruise in April 08. We have all decided not to tip the Waiters, Bus Boys, and Room Steward. This will get us all our 70 dollars back and then some. It will also send a message to Carnival through their employees. When these people don't get a tip and we let them know that it is because of the fuel surcharge, Carnival will have a whole bunch of disgruntled employees to deal with.

I urge all of you to rise up and send Carnival a message by not tipping their employees.

that's one way to get over the fuel surcharge and to make a lot of enemies on these boards...............lmao

i

It is very possible. Just don't tip. Don't understand why it would make enemies out of people on these boards. I have been on 14 cruises and have always tipped way more than required.

Now thanks to this corporate greed we are taking back what is ours. Carnival chose to rip us off and we choose to rip them off.

NO TIPPING

If you are not happy with the surcharge, don't take it out on the innocent employees. How would you like it if your employer did something that was not popular and people decided not to pay you?

If you have 36 people and you want to send a message to Carnival, then all of you should cancel your cruise. That would send a much stronger message to Carnival then taking money from an innocent hard working employee.

It is very possible. Just don't tip. Don't understand why it would make enemies out of people on these boards. I have been on 14 cruises and have always tipped way more than required.

Now thanks to this corporate greed we are taking back what is ours. Carnival chose to rip us off and we choose to rip them off.

NO TIPPING

You are not ripping Carnival off at all. You are ripping off the employees.

NO TIPPING

To say you're misguided is like saying there was a slight breeze in New Orleans when Hurricane Katrina struck.

The only people your affecting are the little guys, your fellow cruisers, and future cruisers on your ship. The moral will drop, service will suffer, and the corporate people won't even feel a thing.

No, the best thing to do is file a complaint, send an e-mail voicing your displeasure, then go on your cruise and enjoy yourself.

If $35 hurts that much, maybe a luxurous cruise vacation wasn't thought out that well.

Archived