Fuel Surcharge Illegal?

abitaturbodog

My DH found this article at MSNBC which states that, "some cruise lines have hedged their fuel costs, which means they aren’t really paying more for energy. And...that those same cruise lines also agreed in 1997 to not charge any fees in addition to the advertised initial ticket price, except those actually passed on by the company to a government agency."

Here's a link to the article: Fuel Surcharge Illegal?

If you click on the link in the original article just after the "1997" it takes you to the Florida State Attorney General's Office Website. Here it is: Florida Attorney General

This details the settlement of a lawsuit in 1997 against Carnival Cruise Lines, Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd., Norwegian Cruise Line Limited, Celebrity Cruises Inc., Dolphin Cruise Line and Majesty Cruise Line. This agreement states that the cruise lines can no longer charge customers any fees in addition to the advertised initial ticket price except those fees actually passed on by the company to a governmental agency. This includes Fuel Surcharge!

I'm wondering what my fellow, CC'ers think....

Thanks for posting this. This is a big irritation for me. I wish this "fuel surcharge" was implemented on NEW BOOKINGS ONLY. I believe that would be more fair. What was very unfair was for those passengers that had paid in full and THEN charged. Shame on the cruise companies...but look how they got away with this.

I wonder how many lawsuits will be generated from these surcharges?

Whatever the outcomes, I believe in the long run people are miffed with the corporate cruise companies and will spend less while onboard because of it. :(

Hey Turbo,

Saw your post on the Carnival Board about surcharge. Alot more action from that group. This Costa Board is alot more quiet isn't it?!;)

Racing Ray

Most people have already responded to this issue (last fall when it was initially implemented) I think the subject has been already beaten to death on the message boards. Now to let the courts decide

ever read your contract? it is extremely difficult to sue a cruise line. paragraph 9 states all cases must be tried on an individual basis - no class actions allowed. us cruises must sue in broward county, FL only. non-us cruises must sue in genoa, italy.

they also have it written in that they allowed to charge a fuel surcharge.

i don't think the 1997 agreement applies as it only applies to 'fees'. they initially got in trouble for charging additional port fees, when indeed there were none. they are framing this as a 'surcharge'. the devil is in the details.

it doesn't make it right, but it is what it is. i'll just buy a few less drinkies or chachkas to make up for it.

Go over to the Carnival board same thread.....by same author.....and read the lively conversation there. Some posters have added some interesting facts and interpretations.

We will limit our shipboard spending this time as I have 2 cabins for my family that had the surcharge added.:(

I encourage those who are unhappy with the way this was implemented to let them know onboard that you are displeased with the corporate office and it is affecting your spending.

For those who say....you could of canceled your cruise.....well with hotel pre-paid and airfare, we had another $2000 locked up in expenses. We save all year for this trip and we plan on not letting this affect our enjoyment.......just not spending onboard for incidentals like previous cruises.

Archived