First Timer Questions

DH and I will be in Rome 2 days pre and 1 day post cruise - May 7-8 & 19/08.

I have been given some information and just want to have confirmation that this is correct:

We've been told the best way to transfer to and from the airport is by cab - just make certain it is a "legitimate" cab. Is this better than pre-hiring a company to pick you up?

The best way to transfer to the cruise port is by car hire. What company have you used and what can we expect to pay?

We will be sharing a ride from the cruise ship to Rome after the cruise, can some companies transfer more than two people plus all the luggage?

We understand the best way to see Rome in only a few days is by hiring a tour company. This would help in cutting through line ups. What is your advice on the company to hire? What do they charge?

That time of year, what type of clothing would you recommend? Would capris be appropriate for me? I know we will require comfortable shoes to walk in - are runners ok?

We plan on taking ship tours in all the ports (this time) as we are such newbies and quite nervous about going out on our own.

Any other tips would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Elizabeth

First of all, you are going at a wonderful time of year. It shouldn't be too hot & not with the summer crowds of tourists. It will be crowded, yes, but just not the zillions of people that are there in the summer. Capris would be appropriate, your knees need to be covered in order to visit churches. This means no shorts for the guys Just remember to take a jacket or sweater to cover your arms when going into the churches. Runners are fine. You might also keep an umbrella handy in case of showers. I definitly recommend Stefano at Rome Cabs for all your transportation needs. He & his associates made our Rome vacation the best vacation I have ever had in all my 68 years.His web site is http:///www.romecabs.com (for an approximate cost) & you can e-mail him at romecabs@yahoo.com. He will respond promptly with a quote when you tell him exactly what you are interested in. He has Mercedes automobiles that accommodate up to 4 people & vans for larger groups. Whatever you do, have a wonderful time!

Thanks for your help Longin2cruise. In checking their website, their prices look great! I will make a reservation today! By the way, what is the tipping policy? For example, the price quoted for the ride from the airport to the hotel is 45 euros. Would we round it up to 50? Give a percentage?

Elizabeth

By the way, what is the tipping policy? For example, the price quoted for the ride from the airport to the hotel is 45 euros. Would we round it up to 50? Give a percentage?

Elizabeth

I asked this very same question last year before our trip to Rome & I got varying responses. Some people said that tips were not necessary, some said 5% & some said 10%. We did tip 10% as I just could not see not tipping after the wonderful service that Rome Cabs provided. I'm still not sure that we did right thing, but our driver/guide never seemed unhappy. We used him for 2 transfers, a 4 hour night time tour, a 4 hour orientation tour, 3 all day tours & it was the best money I ever spent.

I am sure you will enjoy Rome. My opinion and tips as European and someone who has been to Rome many times follow:

We've been told the best way to transfer to and from the airport is by cab - just make certain it is a "legitimate" cab. Is this better than pre-hiring a company to pick you up?

The best way to transfer to the cruise port is by car hire. What company have you used and what can we expect to pay?

Many people do use the train for both transfers. Especially for the way to Civitavecchia it is much cheaper and often even faster. Nevertheless a taxi or a car which transfer directly are of course more comfortable.

From the airport to the city centre there is no need for a pre-hired car. There is a fixed price of € 40 for taxis to any place in the city for up to four people and luggage.

We will be sharing a ride from the cruise ship to Rome after the cruise, can some companies transfer more than two people plus all the luggage?

Yes, vans are available.

We understand the best way to see Rome in only a few days is by hiring a tour company.

Not in my opinion. Only for getting a rough overview I recommend either a private guide or the hop on/hop off bus. Otherwise it is better to read a lot before and decide what is important for you to see. You can easily spent weeks in Rome without seeing everything. So take your pick and go to the places you like. Do not try to do too much but allow also for some strolling around and sitting in cafes, bars and restaurants.

If you feel better with a guide, make sure he understands your needs and interests.

That time of year, what type of clothing would you recommend? Would capris be appropriate for me? I know we will require comfortable shoes to walk in - are runners ok?

May is a great time. It will be nice sunny and warm. I like most Romans and many Europeans would never wear runners in Rome. Italians tend to dress nicely when in a city. It is neither the beach, nor a tracking field nor Disneyland.

Especially in churches one is expected to dress respectfully having shoulders, kness and everything inbetween covered. For nice restaurants a jacket and possibly a tie are a good idea.

We plan on taking ship tours in all the ports (this time) as we are such newbies and quite nervous about going out on our own.

I would certainly encourage you to go on your own in more ports. The infrastructure and public transportation in most places in Europe are very easy to navigate. In many places you will see much more by walking around in a city than when you a herded with all the forced stops. You might search this board or ask more questions for information about many places.

Even if you are uncomfortable with doing so, why no try it in Rome, where is no danger of getting lost and missing the ship?

Whatever you decide, enjoy Europe!

I would recomend Fabrizio from allarounditaly.net for your day in Rome. I don't know what other ports you are going to but I have some excellent tour guides for most of the European cities. I have never taken a ships tour and have either done it on our own or with a private tour.

I'm sure that you will have a great cruise no matter what way you decide to tour.

Archived