Capri/Pompei or Amalfi Coast/Pompei

On our first visit to this area, would one recommend a tour of Capri, Sorrento & Pompei, or the tour of The Amalfi Coast, Positano, Sorrento and Pompei. I am torn but would like your opinions. I am not sure how worthwhile it is to see Capri at the expense of seeing the Amalfi Coast.

Thank you

This is my first time to the area as well, so I am not speaking from experience. We chose to do a private tour of the Amalfi Coast and completely skip Pompeii. We are traveling with my mother and infant and all the walking on the uneven stone in Pompeii does not sound appealing. Capri was not really an option for us, due to the small motor boats w/ a baby. So we are just going to take our time on the coast. It looks so beautiful and I have heard for many it was the highlight of the trip.

I'm sure whatever your choice, it will be an amazing experience....

IMO it's a toss-up . . . . . .flip a coin, you can't loose. And I think they all are worth seeing but you'll NEVER do it in one trip, this just gives you an excuse to make a second trip to the MED., this is why we're coming back in a few months.

Happy sailing e

CIAO, :D

I've done both trips and I would recomend Amalfi Coast hands down. I wasn't impressed at all with Capri because it was so crowded and there wasn't too much to see.

I actually loved Positano so much that last year we stayed there pre-cruise for 3 nights. I've never enjoyed a place as much as the Amalfi Coast.

I agree with betonic. The Amalfi Coast drive has a spectacular view around every corner. Capri was nice, and worth going to, but not if it is your first time in the area. One word of caution, depending when you are going, you may encounter a lot of traffic .

I am also torn between going to Positano and Sorrento again , or Capri for the day. Betonic said not much to do on Capri, and I had planned on my whole day there. I absolutely loved loved loved Positano and Sorrento:) , thats why I'm torn. My DH and DD seem to want to go to Capri. Can we spend the whole day there and not get bored?:confused: Would like some advice from my fellow cruisers. Thanks!

I am also torn between going to Positano and Sorrento again , or Capri for the day. Betonic said not much to do on Capri, and I had planned on my whole day there. I absolutely loved loved loved Positano and Sorrento:) , thats why I'm torn. My DH and DD seem to want to go to Capri. Can we spend the whole day there and not get bored?:confused: Would like some advice from my fellow cruisers. Thanks!

To the original poster: Pompeii is "ruins" and history. The absolute best ruins you will see aside from Parthenon and Ephesus.

In Capri: There's the inevitable "Blue Grotto", which, having been there is no big deal, just the experience is different. However, from the town of Capri (after u take the funicular to the town), if you go to the right, there's like a Disneyland turnstyle set of metal bars where u can take a "bus"(or even take a taxi)--it's a hair-raising ride along the mountain to Anacapri (the other side of the island) and take a chairlift above all the estates and vineyards. You get off, and see the Faraglioni rocks. Also, Goethe's (I think that's his name) house is there--it's free--or at least it was when we went. Then, when u get back down the mountain to the town of Capri, walk to the left along the "alleyway" to the Hotel Quisisana. Very famous and ritzy. Had lunch there. Hope this helps.

The day we went to Capri we took a boat from Positano that took us to both the blue and green grotto before leaving us off on the dock. From there we hired a taxi to tour the island. First we went to the downtown area and it was mobbed, we could hardly walk and there were tons of tour groups that were taking up the very narrow streets. The driver had allowed us 2 hours there and we were ready to go in 30 minutes. From there we went to Anacapri and took the chairlift to the top which was a nice ride and the views were beautiful. I guess that we stayed at the top for about 20 minutes and then rode down. We had lunch at a restaurant nearr the bottom of the chairlift that was ok but very expensive. From there the driver took us to a beach close to the dock where we were leaving from. The beach was very crowded and was all rocks so none of us even went in.

I don't want to make it sound like Capri was awful because it wasn't but it isn't nearly as nice as the Amalfi Coast to me.

Betonic and 24 Butterfly

Thanks for the information on your tours of Capri. I think I might go to Capri as I have seen Positano and Sorrento as well as Pompei. As other posters have said you should really see Pompei. I did Pompei on my own and in hindsightI should have had a guide, even though I had a map, it would have been better to have an explanation on what I was looking at. Just a suggestion! Thanks again on your information about Capri.

The Amalfi Coast--and Positano was amazing. We did Pompeii as well.

We didn't go to Capri...and we did not feel as if we missed anything.

We had a wonderful private driver--who showed us the best sites--and took us to a lovely place to eat in Sorrento--his hometown. :)

Pompeii was great, as we got there early the morning as it opened. We were the first tourists in the site that day. It was wonderful to see it at first morning light--and before it got hot and crowded.:)

If you didn't go, how can you judge the merits (or otherwise) of the island?

[speaking of Pompei] Yes. We got a guide at the entrance. That way you can see the highlights in 90 minutes, rather than trying to figure out where to go yourself.

Ninety minutes? We thought we were shortchanged with two hours at Ercolano, which is a fraction of the size of Pompei.

Matthew

The Amalfi Coast--and Positano was amazing. We did Pompeii as well.

We had a wonderful private driver--who showed us the best sites--and took us to a lovely place to eat in Sorrento--his hometown. :)

Pompeii was great, as we got there early the morning as it opened. We were the first tourists in the site that day. It was wonderful to see it at first morning light--and before it got hot and crowded.:)

Sounds great...do you have contact information for your driver?:)

Maybe I was in the right place at the right time, but I LOVED Capri and the Blue Grotto. My husband and I still talk about ducking down flat to swoosh into the Grotto- timing is everything. And it was a spectacular warm and sunny day - took the funicular and walked all over the island. The flowers were beautiful and so was the little town of Anacapri. I've also been to Pompeii and it was incredible. Going back this summer on a cruise, and THIS time driving the Amalfi Coast. Anyone have a good tour guide/driver?

Hands down, the Amalfi Coast and Positano, Sorrento, Amalfi, Ravello, Pompeii, etc are the way to go. I have been to Italy a few times and each time I go, I cannot believe how beautiful Positano is...it's prettier and more magical than you can imagine.

Capri is nice, too...but I don't think you'll feel like you saw the Amalfi Region if you don't do the Amalfi Coast and see Positano!

Here's a link to some recent travel photos...enjoy!

http://tonilee2.smugmug.com/

I am traveling to the same area and am struggling with the same decision. Would you recommend booking an excursion through the cruise line, or through local vendors?

We have cruised several times in the Caribbean and have found that you can take the same tours for a fraction of the price if you wait and book with local vendors after disembarking?

I am traveling to the same area and am struggling with the same decision. Would you recommend booking an excursion through the cruise line, or through local vendors?

We have cruised several times in the Caribbean and have found that you can take the same tours for a fraction of the price if you wait and book with local vendors after disembarking?

Hi there~~DH and I have NEVER cruised but we have traveled quite a lot, esp to the Caribbean, Mexico, USA (of course), Canada and Europe! So, I cannot comment on a cruise line excursion vs a local one in regards to "which one might be better."

I'll give you my perspective, though, which may help you make your choice!

Each time we have been in Italy, we have done each region for over 1 week; so when we were in the Campania Region, we booked a LOCAL guide for our tour to Pompeii (also made a jewelry shopping stop in Scafati, which was nice). We did Amalfi, Sorrento, Positano, Naples, Praiano, Capri, etc on our own. Everything was GREAT...but we weren't pressured to return to a port-of-call. Everything was WONDERFUL!

I can say one thing, though...this will be my 4th time to Italy, DH's 3rd time, so I am by no means an expert but I have a little feel for the area.

We'll be going on the RCCL Voyager in November '08, Western Mediterranean cruise and POC are Barcelona, Villefranche, Livorno (Florence), Civitavecchia (Rome), Naples, Palermo (Italy), etc. This was a change from a 14-day trip DH and I had planned ON OUR OWN in August '08 for Florence, Assisi, Perugia, Venice, Tuscany region, etc. We thought "let's try a cruise" after hearing so many people rave about them :)

The only port-of-call that I'm planning to do a RCCL excursion with is Livorno (to Florence et al) because it's an 8-12 hr day, no matter what! I don't want to risk missing the ship's sailing out of Livorno! Palermo, Civitavecchia, all the rest...we'll do on our own...perhaps find a local tour.

Italy is a v-e-r-y funny but WONDERFUL place and things happen a bit differently there ;) Because the TRAFFIC on the Amalfi Coast can be HORRIFIC (depending on when you go), I would recommend that you take a tour with the cruise ship, so you're not late returning to your port-of-call!

My folks were from Italy, I am 2nd generation Italian-American and I am studying the Italian language, but I am not fluent...but I get around just great! Italy is my "adopted" 2nd home 'cause I love it so much! Some folks around Naples, Positano, Amalfi, etc speak English and some do not...it's kinda hit or miss.

IMHO, I would say that the Amalfi Region and trips to Pompeii can be one of the trickier regions to navigate; therefore, I would strongly consider taking a tour that is time coordinated with your cruise ship...that way you're pretty much guaranteed that you won't miss your ship!

One of my MAJOR concerns with a cruise is that the pace is going to be too hurried or pressured for me...and that is NOT the way I like to travel!

I see how people jam in SEVERAL sites or excursions into a ONE DAY port stop and it is TOTALLY unappealing to me because I like to take my time, take it slowly...let things sink in. DH is a bit different...so our 1st cruise is gonna be an interesting experiment...I HATE FEELING FRANTIC & RUSHING :mad:

I hope I made sense & I hope I was helpful.....:cool:

I just found this bit of information on another thread about shore excursions from port-of-call Livorno to Florence! This is DEFINITELY the way DH and I are gonna go...it seems GREAT!

I think it gives the best of both worlds...small and private...conscientious about time...LOCALLY operated and owned...aware of port rules and ship departures, etc, etc. We're gonna do it :D

Check this out:

We used the http://www.romeinlimo.com company in 2006 for Rome, Florence, and Naples. There were 6 of us and we had wonderful experiences. I would not hesitate to use them again. You do have to get your own group together (we did this via our roll call) in order to make it affordable. It was less than the ship's tour and we could tailor the tour to our liking. They also purchased tickets for us to the various attractions so we didn't have to stand in line. We scheduled our return for an hour before the ship was to depart and we were always right on schedule. We are returning in October and I certainly plan to go the private tour route again.

Just found this on a post about "Ports of Call" under the "Europe" thread:

http://www.amalfi-drive.com/

Archived