Capri/Pompei or Amalfi Coast/Pompei

...One of my MAJOR concerns with a cruise is that the pace is going to be too hurried or pressured for me...and that is NOT the way I like to travel!

I see how people jam in SEVERAL sites or excursions into a ONE DAY port stop and it is TOTALLY unappealing to me because I like to take my time, take it slowly...let things sink in. DH is a bit different...so our 1st cruise is gonna be an interesting experiment...I HATE FEELING FRANTIC & RUSHING :mad: ......:cool:

this is a great reason to book a private excursion...so you can spend time seeing the things you want to see (and rush through or omit the things that don't interest you). There are some ports where DW and I try to cram in as much as possible (usually in a country or city that we love) and others where we are content with one simple excursion and a long, relaxing lunch or stroll through town.

On our first visit to this area, would one recommend a tour of Capri, Sorrento & Pompei, or the tour of The Amalfi Coast, Positano, Sorrento and Pompei. I am torn but would like your opinions. I am not sure how worthwhile it is to see Capri at the expense of seeing the Amalfi Coast.

Thank you

I would definately combine a tour of Pompei and the Amalfi Coast and use a reliable local operator.We have used Salvatore Lucibello of DriveAmalfi twice out of Naples and found him to be one the best drivers we have used in Europe.He is from Amalfi and knows the area like the back of his hand and touring the area in an air conditioned limo or van is the way to go.Salvatore's email addresses are ***** and *****

Mike

Hands down, the Amalfi Coast and Positano, Sorrento, Amalfi, Ravello, Pompeii, etc are the way to go. I have been to Italy a few times and each time I go, I cannot believe how beautiful Positano is...it's prettier and more magical than you can imagine.

Capri is nice, too...but I don't think you'll feel like you saw the Amalfi Region if you don't do the Amalfi Coast and see Positano!

Here's a link to some recent travel photos...enjoy!

http://tonilee2.smugmug.com/

Your pictures are amazing. We booked a private tour of Amalfi, Positano, Sorrento, Ravello and Pompeei and I am more excited than ever. We are luck enough to be here for 2 days. I am thinking that we could really do Capri on our own on the second day - did you do it on an excursion?

Your pictures are amazing. We booked a private tour of Amalfi, Positano, Sorrento, Ravello and Pompeei and I am more excited than ever. We are luck enough to be here for 2 days. I am thinking that we could really do Capri on our own on the second day - did you do it on an excursion?

Hi...gosh, there's somuch going on here on the Europe Port-of-Call Board, I couldn't find you :D

Yes...we DID go to Capri but those photos are not on smugmug yet.

FYI-there are several threads going about trips to Capri, Amalfi, etc, etc on CC's Europe Board...how to fit everything in, time constraints, etc. I hope you are seeing them, too. One poster has some great input about the time constraints and the travel difficulties in Amalfi, etc.

I liked Capri, too. When DH and I go back on the Carnival Grand Mediterranean in Oct '08, we're debating on a return to Positano or a return to Capri...do it a bit differently this time...we'll probably go to Anacapri, if we can.

As another poster on a different thread stated, the beauties of Capri lie off the beaten path. That was my take on it...very nice but a bit commercialized in the center and on the "main" strips...very beautiful, though.

I'm hard pressed to say ONE NEGATIVE THING about Italy, esp Naples and south...

Let me see if I can link you to these various posts!

Archived