New to HAL

eddiesgal

Greetings to all! I was just wondering whether the obstructed oceanview Category H is a better choice than the large inside staterooms. Which would you choose? The Category H guarantee is actually less money. The ship is the Westerdam and I'm curious to see how everybody feels about it.

Thanks in advance for your kind responses.

I would much prefer to have the natural light in an H, even if there is no view except a lifeboat a couple of feet away! :) Besides, some of the H's may be be as "fully obstructed" as advertised, and you may, in fact, be able to see a bit of water.

I would much prefer to have the natural light in an H, even if there is no view except a lifeboat a couple of feet away! :) Besides, some of the H's may be be as "fully obstructed" as advertised, and you may, in fact, be able to see a bit of water.

Do you know which ones that you are able to see a bit of water from or would you chance it and keep the guarantee?

Do you know which ones that you are able to see a bit of water from or would you chance it and keep the guarantee?
I'm just guessing from the deck plans that 4089, 4090, 4109, 4110, 4119, and 4120 might be able to see water through the life-boat davits etc. But the best reason for keeping the H guarantee (as opposed to selecting a specific H) is the possibility of getting an upgrade. On the Zuiderdam my DD and DSiL were upgraded from an H-Guar to a C. We have gotten upgrades on all 5 of our guarantee bookings.

I'm just guessing from the deck plans that 4089, 4090, 4109, 4110, 4119, and 4120 might be able to see water through the life-boat davits etc. But the best reason for keeping the H guarantee (as opposed to selecting a specific H) is the possibility of getting an upgrade. On the Zuiderdam my DD and DSiL were upgraded from an H-Guar to a C. We have gotten upgrades on all 5 of our guarantee bookings.

Wow!!! That's fantastic that you've received upgrades on all 5!!! Do you think there's a greater chance of an upgrade the earlier one books or it's just left up to chance no matter what?

Wow!!! That's fantastic that you've received upgrades on all 5!!! Do you think there's a greater chance of an upgrade the earlier one books or it's just left up to chance no matter what?
Actually, since we made the booking for our DD/DSiL about a week after our own on the Zuiderdam, I could even say that we got 6 upgrades out of 6 guarantees. :) (Only on one AK cruise did we pick a specific cabin.)

IMO, an early booking does increase the chances for an upgrade. Long-time poster Kakalina has a record of something on the order of 15 upgrades out of 18 guarantees, and she always books early with the same HAL Personal Cruise Consultant.

I've never had a fully obstructed cabin that was fully obstructed. I could always sit on the edge of the bed and get a glimpse of the ocean.

Roz

Have you ever had one that was squarely up against the center of a lifeboat (e.g., a Vista 4067, 4068, 4105 to 4108, 4115 to 4118)? We're thinking of booking one of those specific cabins because we do not want to be upgraded to a Main deck cabin.

I've never been on a Vista, but on the Rs and Ss, I've had cabins looking right in the middle of a lifeboat, and I could still see the ocean off to the side.

Roz

I've never been on a Vista, but on the Rs and Ss, I've had cabins looking right in the middle of a lifeboat, and I could still see the ocean off to the side.

Roz

Thanks for all the interesting feedback. It's very much appreciated and I'll continue to keep my fingers crossed that the upgrade fairy will strike in a BIG way:p DH thinks I've booked an inside room so he'll be surprised no matter what.

Greetings to all! I was just wondering whether the obstructed oceanview Category H is a better choice than the large inside staterooms. Which would you choose? The Category H guarantee is actually less money. The ship is the Westerdam and I'm curious to see how everybody feels about it.

Thanks in advance for your kind responses.

I'll throw in another factor. Inside cabins have showers only-no bathtubs.

I'm happy either way, but if you're dreaming of sailing the ocean sitting in perfumed bubbles...

:p

Not true. Most cabins on the Westerdam have tubs, including the insides. Those that have showers only are marked with an * on the deck plans.

I'm sorry to contradict you, but this simply isn't correct. On the Westerdam, as on the other Vistas, all inside cabins have showers but no tubs. Trust me, I've been in Main Deck J-category inside cabins on the Oosterdam and the Noordam ... I know this from personal experience (from showering in them for 30 days).

The notation "* Shower Only" in the legend on the deck plans is a reference to the exceptions found in the outside cabins. For instance, look at the Main Deck deckplans for a Vista. You'll notice that F1001- F1010 all have the * notation. This means that, even though they are outside cabins, they lack a tub and have only a shower. None of the insides have that notation, and yet none of them have showers because insides don't have showers. Period. Why put a * in each one on the deckplan? You'll notice that NO insides have that notation ... only a few outsides.

For confirmation of this, check the "Accomodations" section of HAL's website (you'll find it under "Onboard Experience"). Scroll down to the bottom. You'll find that it states for Inside cabins:

LARGE OR STANDARD INSIDE STATEROOMS

2 lower beds convertible to 1 queen-size bed, shower, fully obstructed views

So, since having a shower is going to be the case on ALL inside cabins, they don't see a need to notate it on the deck plans.

I'm sorry to contradict you, but this simply isn't correct. On the Westerdam, as on the other Vistas, all inside cabins have showers but no tubs.
That's why I scratched my post at 11:52 after checking, Greg. :D

In response to the question ... I would go with the outside cabin, even though it is fully obstructed. I've been in G-category partially obstructed outsides on the Noordam and loved it. The layout of the cabin is very nice, with the floor to ceiling window does let in a great deal of light. Also, there is a tub in the cabin ... which provides for a nice place to take a bath (if you prefer). I usually take showers, though, so that doesn't impact me.

If you would like to see photos of how those outside fully/partly obstructed view cabins are arranged, you can see my pictures of one on the Noordam here.

Also, you might want to consider the fact that, with the exception of the J-category and K-category cabins on Main Deck (only) and the few I-category cabins on the upper decks, all the inside cabins are TINY. I'd go with an H category outside Guarantee.

thanks again for all the great information! One question for me still remains though.......do the H guarantees have floor to ceiling windows too or just a regular window? Thanks!
Floor-to-ceiling. That's one of the reasons I prefer them to the unobstructed Main Deck C/D/E/F cabins with the small window. :)

Archived