help~Formal fashion ideas/examples from BBW women--PLEASE

CharlotteCpl

I am usually a comfy around the house kind of dresser. I am by no means a fashion expert, so need ideas for hair, dress, etc. I am a 26/28W with long hair(at least middle of my back).

I want the formal night to be extra special for DH and I. I would LOVE to see some examples of what other BBW women wear for formal night. Send me your photos, even if you are shy---you can email them to me directly.

DH and I will be celebrating 10 years since we met/began dating. We have not had any photos done of us since our wedding(Sept 2001) so I want this to be special.

Thanks for all the input,:rolleyes:

Erin(charlotte_cpl_lkn@yahoo.com for the shy BBW's to send their pics)

Hi Charlotte,

I don't have any pics online of me in my formal attire, I usually like to take pic from the waste/boob area up. I was previously a 26/28, now a 18/20.

My suggestions are get a dress that is pretty, flattering, and you feel confident in. Confidence is a big factor. Hit the local Lane Bryant, Catherines, Avenue, etc... Also check online. I bought a beautiful gown on ebay once.

Also, how about scheduling a day at the spa on formal night to get your hair and makeup done. If you choose to do this, book early- the appts. fill up fast.

Imagine a beautiful/fancy gown and your hair and makeup professionally done. Oh what great pictures to be had.

Mom finds lots of things to wear. Many are sparkling tops with matching jackets and full length skirts or slacks. She has evening gowns that have matching jackets. She has cocktails dresses with chiffon or silk shawls...

Just go to the store or go on line and you'll find many examples and styles!! You'll be fine!!

ok---I had been trying to decide about a couple of dresses and have now chosen my favorite one. I still need help in deciding which shoes. I have ranked them in order of fave to least fave(1-8). Pick a number of which would go best/cutest/etc.

Could anyone also possibly tell me the avg cost of getting a style done at the salon for formal night?

THANKS AGAIN

shoeshopping.jpg

Great dress, and you have the shoes ranked the right way. The first pair would be awesome with that dress. Three and four might give you some versatility with other outfits though. I would say pick whatever is the most comfortable.

Enjoy, and get great pictures!

Love the dress! About the shoes. Unless you are use to wearing heels, beware. On several cruises, my DIL and I have bought new dress shoes - all shiny and sparkles. I am a 22 and she is a 4. Anyway, we both end up walking around barefooted because neither one of us wears heels on a daily basis and our feet hurt. We would walk to dinner on formal night with our new shoes on, take our shoes off under the table, carry them to have our pictures made, put them on for the picture and then carry them to where we were going after that.

Last year, on a cruise to Alaska, we found some cute lower heel shoes all shiny and sparkles. We kept those on!

Have a GREAT TIME. You will see all kind of clothes, shoes and wonder about some people! LOL

Also with shoes...even if you wear heels on a daily basis, be aware that the ship can, and often does, roll with the ocean! It can be a challenge to walk in flats, never mind 3" heels!

Just something to think about.

Also with shoes...even if you wear heels on a daily basis, be aware that the ship can, and often does, roll with the ocean! It can be a challenge to walk in flats, never mind 3" heels!

Just something to think about.

I absolutely concur with this. For that reason, I would choose shoe #3. Maybe not quite as fancy as the other ones, but that heel and style will work much better in getting around on the ship.

Great dress, and you have the shoes ranked the right way. The first pair would be awesome with that dress. Three and four might give you some versatility with other outfits though. I would say pick whatever is the most comfortable.

Enjoy, and get great pictures!

Ditto :) .

Love that dress! I'm in with the others, where did you find it?

Congratulations on the 10 year anniversary and happy sailing.

~A. M., a BBW also~

ok---I had been trying to decide about a couple of dresses and have now chosen my favorite one. I still need help in deciding which shoes. I have ranked them in order of fave to least fave(1-8). Pick a number of which would go best/cutest/etc.

Could anyone also possibly tell me the avg cost of getting a style done at the salon for formal night?

THANKS AGAIN

shoeshopping.jpg

That dress is not formal. It does not follow the dress code. dresses are resort casual. For Formal you need a gown,Cocktail dress or pantsuit.

That dress is not formal. It does not follow the dress code. dresses are resort casual. For Formal you need a gown,Cocktail dress or pantsuit.

Whatever! This is definitely a cocktail dress, and you will be perfectly acceptible wearing this. Enjoy your cruise and congrats on your 10-year anniversary!

That is a formal dress; I have a very similar one in gray that I bought at Macy's. In the formal dress section, might I add. Day dresses don't normally have rhinestone trim.

It's a lovely dress, and will be beautiful. I've worn similar styles of dresses on my Carnival cruises and never felt "not formal enough". I take a closed toe black sling-back pair of shoes with me and wear them with 2 formal dress, black dress pants and a black skirt on different nights. I can't wear too high of a heel, but I think the medium height heels work better with different looks.

Archived