help~Formal fashion ideas/examples from BBW women--PLEASE

CharlotteCpl

Yep!!! Her makeup is really pretty too.

I also agree, keep it soft. As for shoes keep them comfortable, if you are good on heels go for it but I wouldn't choose a spike heel. I have worn the same pair of black heels for years, this year I am getting smart and buying a pair of dress slippers so my feet don't hurt!!:o

Also with shoes...even if you wear heels on a daily basis, be aware that the ship can, and often does, roll with the ocean! It can be a challenge to walk in flats, never mind 3" heels!

Just something to think about.

Exactly!! The areas of the ship that do not have carpet can be like walking on ice if you aren't used to wearing heels. Mine weren't high but I still found some areas very slick to walk on.

That dress is not formal. It does not follow the dress code. dresses are resort casual. For Formal you need a gown,Cocktail dress or pantsuit.

That dress is perfect for formal night. That is considered Cocktail length and would be perfect.

LOVE THE DRESS

I went to zantiques when it was first mentioned in this thread. I too, found this dress to be absolutely gorgeous! I looked at in white to find the detail.

Do you think it will look as great on someone 5'6 size 24 versus the model 5'10 size 14???

Everything always looks great on nice, tall models, but reality bites. But then again its all in how you feel you look.

Do you think it will look as great on someone 5'6 size 24 versus the model 5'10 size 14???

Probably not. I'm 5'3 and size 26. But I think I'd feel beautiful wearing it and that's half the battle. I'll never be 5'10" and I'm not counting on the size 14 either. ;)

I know what you mean. I am about 5'4" and a 26/28(depends on the material---and bigger butt). I still plan to flaunt the dress I chose.

I dont know about anyone else----but I am BEYOND excited. I didnt feel well on my first cruise so didnt get into a whole lot. This time---no matter how I feel---I am gettin out there and taking advantage of all I can.:D :D :rolleyes: :p :D :D

Found on ebay my first plunging neck line cocktail dress for my october cruise. It is sheer black and just below the knee. I am 5'5' and am 26/28. I was a bit self conscious? but you know what my husband loved it and so did I. Never knew showing off my boobs so much was worth so much.

Found on ebay my first plunging neck line cocktail dress for my october cruise. It is sheer black and just below the knee. I am 5'5' and am 26/28. I was a bit self conscious? but you know what my husband loved it and so did I. Never knew showing off my boobs so much was worth so much.

glad it fit. I ordered a 22 which should have fit, but it was a 22 junior. My daughter ended up with it.

however, I did order one on ebay that was not from a mass seller, and it fit wonderful.

That dress is not formal. It does not follow the dress code. dresses are resort casual. For Formal you need a gown,Cocktail dress or pantsuit.

If I wore any of those shoes, i would be screaming in a matter of 20 min. I have to have flats regardless of what I wear.

I think the little black dress is plenty formal. It is what some of the teen girls are wearing to PROM now. Same style that is.

I am sorry, but some people have different views of formal and semi-formal.

You could not pay my DH to put a tux on, so I guess because he wears a nice suit, he is semi-formal in some peoples minds.

Our photo which is my icon, is how we dressed. Are we formal to some of you, or informal?

I dont know what cruisecruise is talking about.. you'll be lucky if most people even dress up at all.. lol that dress will be great.. I myself am a bbw just recently out of 26/28 woohoo down to 22/24.. but i find some fabulous dresses at Torrid.com .. recently bought a cute black with purple panel in front.. love it!

OK----I got my dress today. Keep in mind I had to try it on as soon as I could and didnt to hair, etc. Here it is.

Formalnitedressviews.jpg

:rolleyes:

Looks good, and in my opinion, very formal. We are opting for the dress that was shown earlier in the post in Purple. cruise critic will not allow me to post photos. or inserts of anykind. wonder why? have tried to fix it, but it won't let me.

I went to zantiques when it was first mentioned in this thread. I too, found this dress to be absolutely gorgeous! I looked at in white to find the detail.

Everything always looks great on nice, tall models, but reality bites. But then again its all in how you feel you look.

That's the part I hate about online or catalog shopping for clothes! Everything looks good on the models they choose. I hate how plus sized clothing is always shown on skinny models esp when it's a catalog or site geared towards plus sizes. I joined WW last year and went from plus sizes to a size 10 and I still can't catalog shop since everything looks different on my figure than those models who have probably never had kids or any weight loss issues. :confused:

Love the dress! About the shoes. Unless you are use to wearing heels, beware. On several cruises, my DIL and I have bought new dress shoes - all shiny and sparkles. I am a 22 and she is a 4. Anyway, we both end up walking around barefooted because neither one of us wears heels on a daily basis and our feet hurt. We would walk to dinner on formal night with our new shoes on, take our shoes off under the table, carry them to have our pictures made, put them on for the picture and then carry them to where we were going after that.

LOL!!! Couldn't agree more!

When it comes to shoes, I look for:

1. comfort

2. cuteness/ attractiveness

3. versatility (Can you wear it w/ more than 1 outfit?)

Remember also that the boat is moving.:rolleyes:

I've seen women stumble in their heels as the ship shifted suddenly...:(

For one of my outfits, I had a long skirt, and I wore matching ballet slippers! It was HEAVEN! Like walking on a cloud!

OH! I did have on a top, too...:eek:

Archived