help~Formal fashion ideas/examples from BBW women--PLEASE

CharlotteCpl

I am usually a comfy around the house kind of dresser. I am by no means a fashion expert, so need ideas for hair, dress, etc. I am a 26/28W with long hair(at least middle of my back).

I want the formal night to be extra special for DH and I. I would LOVE to see some examples of what other BBW women wear for formal night. Send me your photos, even if you are shy---you can email them to me directly.

DH and I will be celebrating 10 years since we met/began dating. We have not had any photos done of us since our wedding(Sept 2001) so I want this to be special.

Thanks for all the input,:rolleyes:

Erin(charlotte_cpl_lkn@yahoo.com for the shy BBW's to send their pics)

I am usually a comfy around the house kind of dresser. I am by no means a fashion expert, so need ideas for hair, dress, etc. I am a 26/28W with long hair(at least middle of my back).

I want the formal night to be extra special for DH and I. I would LOVE to see some examples of what other BBW women wear for formal night. Send me your photos, even if you are shy---you can email them to me directly.

DH and I will be celebrating 10 years since we met/began dating. We have not had any photos done of us since our wedding(Sept 2001) so I want this to be special.

Thanks for all the input,:rolleyes:

Erin(charlotte_cpl_lkn@yahoo.com for the shy BBW's to send their pics)

I don't have any pictures, but have you tried Eileen Fisher dot com? Even look on eBay for some of her silk (elastic waist) pants & tops to match? I'm not sure about the sizing, but I know she carries a plus line. Good luck!

Jan

You don't say what kind of styles or colors you like, but these are really prettty IMO:

THese aren't really formal but would be acceptable with the right jewelry and shoes

dress.jpg

f2.jpg

This one is gorgeous, but a bit more daring:

FF1.jpg

I think all would be flattering, and all come in your size

http://www.therosedress.com/dresses/do/3457.html

Have fun shopping! :)

You don't say what kind of styles or colors you like, but these are really prettty IMO:

THese aren't really formal but would be acceptable with the right jewelry and shoes

dress.jpg

f2.jpg

This one is gorgeous, but a bit more daring:

FF1.jpg

I think all would be flattering, and all come in your size

http://www.therosedress.com/dresses/do/3457.html

Have fun shopping! :)

Wow, great dresses...are they all from the same place????

I have looked over many sites online, catalogs, etc. My fave so far is this one I found in a Lane Bryant catalog(& lanebryantcatalog dot com) I already had(also available online). I still have some looking to do for shoes etc, but found these great ones on zappos (dot com). Now I have to make a choice which would be best suited.

If anyone knows how much Carnival charges at the salon for a hair styling for formal nite---please give me a possible range.

THANKS AGAIN;)

shoeshopping.jpg

we ballroom dance and I am curvy so am always looking for great dresses.... I have found some cute and affordable things at Fashion Bug Plus and also at Ashley Stewart. Dillards always has great curvy girl dresses, just have to watch for them to be on sale.

Can I hijack this thread with bathing suit questions? This is the one thing that I am stressing out about for our vacation... I know it sounds dumb but I don't sunbathe because I'm so embarrassed about my weight. I am now 25 lbs lost on a 108 lb goal loss -- my logical side keeps telling me that I deserve to swim and have fun just like anybody else, but my heart side keeps telling me people will be disgusted with my fat, white body -- I know, I have issues. I'm thinking about tanning beforehand.

Will I be able to blend into the background, i.e., are the people by the pool all the skinny minnies, or are there all sorts of shapes and sizes there... what do you think?

Can I hijack this thread with bathing suit questions? This is the one thing that I am stressing out about for our vacation... I know it sounds dumb but I don't sunbathe because I'm so embarrassed about my weight. I am now 25 lbs lost on a 108 lb goal loss -- my logical side keeps telling me that I deserve to swim and have fun just like anybody else, but my heart side keeps telling me people will be disgusted with my fat, white body -- I know, I have issues. I'm thinking about tanning beforehand.

Will I be able to blend into the background, i.e., are the people by the pool all the skinny minnies, or are there all sorts of shapes and sizes there... what do you think?

Oh my gosh, you will be so comfortable on a cruise in a bathing suit! All body types are there, just as many as there are people, so do not worry at all. Find a suit you are comfortable wearing and go for it.

To the OP, go get yourself a great haircut, girlfriend. There is nothing as uplifting as a great haircut and perhaps color enhancement to make yourself feel beautiful. Plus, you could probably manage your own hair and not have to pay the exorbitant ship prices they charge for updos. Your hair doesn't have to be short, long hair can be beautiful if it is cut correctly. A great haircut is a better investment than one night with an updo style that makes you look unrecognizable.

JS Boutique (label) has a lot of very pretty and flattering cocktail & long dresses. They seem to fit true to size (meaning compare your measurements to their size chart and you should be able to get a good fit).

as for swimwear ... really, whether it's on a ship or at a resort, you will see people of all sizes and shapes. In both flattering and unflattering swimwear. I find that people trying too hard to cover up stand out more than people who are just at the pool enjoying themselves. Example one year I saw a lady using a bedsheet as a "coverup" at the pool. Bad choice. Next year she was just in her swimsuit and really did just blend in. If I didn't know someone she was traveling with, I probably wouldn't have noticed her that second year. So Find a suit that fits you well and is flattering to your shape. (I don't care what size someone is they do have a shape and swimsuits can be flattering on you!).

I was watching TV Land the other night ans saw anold show of Designing Women and I couldn't help but think how gorgeous Delta Burke looked.

If you have a small waist in comparison to your hips show it off-Stacy and Clinton have shown that tip to plus sized women over and over-how to emphasize their smaller waist area but yet not to play up the larger tummy area. I have seen them dress plus size gals that would look gorgeous when they were done with them.

They always show these gals in the simple -aline gored floaty dresses that are empire waist-and if the gal had good cleavage-then they pick something low cut- although they will put her in a little lace cami underneath so not too much is shown and always the dress in a color flattering to the gal's complexion.

If you tune into a couple of those shows I am sure you could get some good ideas.

Stamp...25 down and 73 to go..Congratulations! I always love the motivation a trip will offer for health and self improvement. i don't think you should ever deprive yourself of the full enjoyment of a tropical cruise and fun in the sun is part of it. Even though there are all shapes of God's creatures at the pool I do understand your feelings of self consciousness when body image at this time is so important. There are beautiful contouring suits and wraps on the market as you probably already know and more than one pool on most ships. We usually scout out a smaller adult only pool and use it. Generally it is quieter and a little more private and there are a large number of chaise lounges over looking the pool for quiet sun bathing Personally I don't like pre tanning but many find it safer before full exposure to the Caribbean sun. Bottem line keep the faith and enjoy your wonderful cruise!

Charlotte...Black dress is lovely..I would go with the strappy #1 heels!

I have looked over many sites online, catalogs, etc. My fave so far is this one I found in a Lane Bryant catalog(& lanebryantcatalog dot com) I already had(also available online). I still have some looking to do for shoes etc, but found these great ones on zappos (dot com). Now I have to make a choice which would be best suited.

If anyone knows how much Carnival charges at the salon for a hair styling for formal nite---please give me a possible range.

THANKS AGAIN;)

shoeshopping.jpg

This is very similiar to what I was trying to describe. Stacy and Clinton almost always puts a plu sized gal in a dress likethis-but not always black, teal , brown, fushia, whatever is complementary to her complexion.

To the OP, go get yourself a great haircut, girlfriend. There is nothing as uplifting as a great haircut and perhaps color enhancement to make yourself feel beautiful. Plus, you could probably manage your own hair and not have to pay the exorbitant ship prices they charge for updos. Your hair doesn't have to be short, long hair can be beautiful if it is cut correctly. A great haircut is a better investment than one night with an updo style that makes you look unrecognizable.

Ya' did it again! You took the words right out of my mouth....or out of my typing fingers! <g>

To CharlotteCpl,

Get thee to a good hairstylist! There's nothing more aging or "blah" looking than long hair hanging down the back with no particular style or pizazz!

Apologies if I've incorrectly made assumptions, but when you said you're a "comfy around the house kind of dresser" with no fashion sense ...with long hair and looking for idea's. All I can picture is long hair with no style worn by someone who hasn't changed their hair since their teenage years.

Thanks ladies for your responses -- I will remember to nix the bedsheet!!;) I like the idea of hanging out in a smaller pool -- the Inspiration has an adults only section now (yay!), not that I don't love kids (I have 5) but it will be nice to relax. Thanks again.

Stamp - I kind of thought that way too until I took my first cruise. Come to find out, there were ALL types of bodies out there, including some wearing two-pieces that I really didn't think should have - :eek: LOL! But you know, everyone appeared to be comfortable in their own skin, and I was too! Now - fluffy gal that I am - I wouldn't dream of missing the sun in a poolside deck chair. Plus, I truly believe tan fat looks better than white fat!

Charlotte - I started out going the dress route for my formal nights, but then I bought some really pretty flowy black pants. Now I use those pants for both formal nights and top them with different sparkly blouses. If you have a Dillard's nearby, you can find the really dressy tops in the Woman's World section usually marked down this time of year.

I also agree with other posters about getting a good hair cut/color/whatever before your cruise. In fact, I have an appointment with my hair dresser for the day before we fly to San Juan! Nothing makes you feel more special than a great cut and color. I'm not sure what color your hair is, but even a few well-placed highlights will make a huge difference.

If I can find any formal night pics I will certainly email them to you!

As far as my hair, I usually wear it up in a clip on any average day. I dont have bangs cut, it is a bit wavy, but I like most of the length. I plan to get a good trim to get rid of dead/split ends before I go.

Stamp--looks like I will be debarking and you will be getting on board. I too am VERY happy for the adults only area. I am a quite large, curvy woman, very comfortable in my body for the most part(nudist around home). I even have a 2 pc halter/boy shorts type suit----I plan to bring and wear. I hear some larger people say they feel 'invisible'---I never do. Dont feel like people stare in disgust at me either. If they dont like it---they can look away.

I like shoes #2 or #1 . One of the things I look for is sturdier heels , those pencil thin ones don't support fluffy/curvy girls as well. Remember, it is a long walk to the captains reception and dining room. As far as bathing suits, once again, Dillards is my champion for that. the dress is awesome! dee

Stamptherapy. You will be among your own kind. Oh, there will be the bathing beauties, of course, but there will be plenty of real people too. It's funny, when I was younger and much thinner I was afraid of being seen in a swimsuit. Now I'm just daring anybody to say anything. Enjoy.

Charlotte- That black dress is absolutely awesome! I really think you will knock you DH's socks off! Have fun and enjoy it!

Stamptherapy- You deserve to enjoy your cruise, so don't worry about it. I am a 18/20 and I am not going to worry about it. We are going on vacation to have fun, and if someone doesn't appreciate our appearance who cares??? So enjoy yourself, and don't concern yourself with it! Newport news has some nice suits reasonable, and I have some great coupon codes for them right now if you want them. Just email me kwilkmagee@aol.com

Karen;)

Archived