Choice of cabins - a compromise

zaban3

I am spoiled from our cruise this past summer having a BB balcony on the Aloha Deck (on the Sapphire Princess). We are making plans for a Dec. 24, 2005 cruise to Panama Canal on the Coral. There will be five us going with one double and one triple. After long "negotiations" with my mother who is paying and does not see the "value" of a balcony, I have convinced her of one balcony and one non-balcony. We would like two rooms on the same deck. Our choices are: a balcony and an "obstructed view" oceanview in the mid Emerald deck OR a balcony on the Aloha deck with an inside room across the hall. I would like to have a window -- thus the Emerald Deck, but I really liked being higher in the -- Aloha Deck.

Any suggestions and comments?

I'm with Katisdale. Thank your mom and plan your next cruise. You're one of five people cruising so go with the flow.

If you feel that strongly about an outside cabin or Aloha deck, then make your own reservation and pay your own way. If you pay for an upgrade, I personally think that's inconsiderate and possibly insulting. Others may disagree but to me, it's announcing that you don't agree with your mom. I don't mean to say that to put you down but I think the most important step is to be on a ship cruising. The location, etc. is gravy.

I'm with you. Gotta have Aloha deck!!!!! It's the perfect location. While balconies are nice, I also don't mind an inside. Found I spend less time in room and more time out where the action is which is kind of fun. I sorta look at our cabin as a place to sleep and change anyway. Besides do you really want to spend all your time on the balcony with Mom???? Whatever you decide, just have fun and thank Mom for paying!!! :)

A FREE cruise? Mom is paying and therefore, is the hostess. Let her choose and stop trying to guilt her into spending more than she thinks she should. As far as Emerald or Aloha, I would personally take Aloha with the inside room, but as mom is paying, how about you let her choose? Then next time, when you pay for all five, you can spring for the balcony. I'm with Pam on this.

Let me please clarify. She is really fine with one balcony. There is really no argument. She is taking our family (self, DH and two teenage grandchildren to celebrate her 80th birthday. I was really asking about the comparison between the two choices of cabins.

I have always felt that once you don't have the balcony, then an inside is just fine and that a window doesn't add all that much. The cruise I took with the inside was wonderful and unlike many people, I actually spent a considerable amount of time in the cabin. They are well lit, but be sure to bring a nightlight if you end up with the inside, because once the lights go out, there is NO light at all. (excellent for napping!)

As far as the deck...I have always liked Caribe best because it is so centrally located. Emerald should be very stable at the very least while Aloha is so convenient to the pools ...really a personal preference.

I think it's just great that your family will be together for this type of vacation, should be the makings of some wonderful memories! Have a blast!!

We did this same cruise last December. Were in a BC on Baja deck which is a balcony cabin. Trust me, this is one of those cruises where to get the full benefit of the scenery during the passage through the canal, you must have a balcony. If you'll have one for your group, I guarantee the whole group will be out there during the passage, it is awesome.

On Coral's B, C, and D decks there is a huge public balcony all the way aft, and all the way forward. Now the forward ones are usually not open to anyone but crew but during the passage of the canal those folks with cabins on those decks were told it was alright to go through the most forward door which is marked crew only, and use this very spacious deck area for viewing entry to the canal. This took place early in the morning. Photographers came out there and took peoples pictures (not good, as folks had rushed up there from getting out of bed). The aft public decks are also good for viewing.

Trust me, this is one of those cruises where to get the full benefit of the scenery during the passage through the canal, you must have a balcony. If you'll have one for your group, I guarantee the whole group will be out there during the passage, it is awesome.

On Coral's B, C, and D decks there is a huge public balcony all the way aft, and all the way forward. Now the forward ones are usually not open to anyone but crew but during the passage of the canal those folks with cabins on those decks were told it was alright to go through the most forward door which is marked crew only, and use this very spacious deck area for viewing entry to the canal. This took place early in the morning. Photographers came out there and took peoples pictures (not good, as folks had rushed up there from getting out of bed). The aft public decks are also good for viewing.

Hate to be disagreeable, but I must heartily disagree. Of course there is nothing wrong with having a balcony, but it's hardly essential to have one in order to get the full benefit of the scenery. We booked the Panama Canal Coral cruise at the last minute this past April and could only get an inside on the Caribe. With all the balcony fans on their own balconies, we had much of the rest of the ship to ourselves. We spent some time on the Caribe's public aft balcony you mentioned as well as on the Promenade. Your post seems contradictory - you state that you must have a balcony, but then you mention all the good public viewing spots. Having a balcony is always a nice perk, but it's no bigger deal on this cruise than on any other. IMHO.

Joy

I respect your opinion bjboothman, you are correct about "essential". I was in a bit of a rush when typing my last post from work, there were people needing my assistance and I didn't have much time to think it through before posting. I did contradict myself, but my intent was to let zaban3 know that great views were available from other places besides balconies. We did enjoy having breakfast on the balcony on the morning of entry into the canal, as we were starboard and could watch the ships in the canal next to us and the goings on below on the pier between canals. It was nice to be able to expierience this from our private space.

Zaban3...Aloha deck would be a fine choice. Glad to hear you have convinced your most generous Mom to get one balcony cabin. You will all enjoy it. Inside, outside, whatever, this was my favorite cruise so far, and the Coral my favorite ship.

Archived