It's Going to be a Rainy (and WINDY) nite in Georgia, Part Duex!!

Jacquelyn11

Depending on Ivan's land fall, (PRAYERS TO ANYONE EFFECTED!) it looks like Alabama and Georgia will get the aftermath. The NWS has issued a high wind advisory for Northwest Georgia on Thursday. They also forcast the remaining storm will "stall" near the Ga/Tenn border.

Anyone got an ark?

Jacquelyn :D

We are located in extreme SW Georgia and are expecting heavy rains and high winds. Can't seem to do anything but keep a close watch on weather radar sites. As so many have said lately we have to prepare for the worst and pray for for best. Hope everyone stays safe.

Here we go again!!

And I just put the patio furinture back by the river!!

Okay, I'm sorry but my first thought when I read this post was "it will give a whole new meaning to "shoot the Hooch" or whatever they call it when folks ride their tubes down the Chattahoochee (can you tell I've never done it?) :D

I'm semi-prepared. I have extra batteries for my flashlights, "tap" lights and portable radio in case we lose power. Bottled water (not sure why but I have a case of 1/2 liter bottles). Not that I was shopping for it but was surprised that 2 stores I have been in were completely out of the cheaper gallon jugs of water (i.e., 50 cents/gallon). All they had (if they had any) were the 78 cents/gallon or higher spring water.

Last I saw reported, our winds are only supposed to get up to no more than 20 MPH around metro Atlanta so I'm not too worried about the power going out. I just dread the rain. :(

It was passed around to the hopsitals today. It is predicted that Paulding County will get 7.25+ inches of rain over the next 3 days. They said to be prepared to accept "refugees" from Alabama. A lot of folks that live in trailers end up in hospitals as "semi-permanate" visitors. We are in "Disaster Preparedness" mode. Ordered heavy on drugs that might be needed during this kind of situation.

It's going to be a LOOOONG Weekend! :eek:

Also heard today the "wooly catapillers" are very thick and the hornet's nest are being built low to the ground. Even the Farmer's Almanac predicts we are going to have a long, wet, cold winter. :(

May 2005 can't get here quick enough!! :cool:

I just saw on the news that several areas in Georgia have already announced school closings for tomorrow. Such as Fayette County, Carroll County....places Southwest of Atlanta. I live in the Alpharetta area. We were lucky with Frances. We have recently cut down a lot of trees from our yard...those beautiful, but weak, Bradford Pear trees. I'm sure we would have lost a few if they had still been in place. My only problem was draining excess water from our pool and grabbing a lounge chair just before the wind blew it into our pool. I feel for the people who are sure to be flooded with this next storm.

Good luck to everyone!

Well, we made it thru another hurricane aftermath! We lost power only for a few minuets at home. At my work, a small creek seperates the employee parking lot from the hospital. It did eventually come out of it's banks but never flooded the parking lot. We had about 8 inches of rain according to the weather report.

Good luck and prayers to all who have to clean up after the storms!

While our problems in Georgia are nothing compared to our friends in Florida and some of Alabama, some areas in the Atlanta area had their own disasters.

When my husband and I bought our house six years ago we were told that we had to have flood insurance which we did. We later discovered that no one in our subdivision was required to have this insurance. Two years ago we were notified that it was no longer necessary to have this coverage. My husband did some research and it was determined that this area had never flooded, so.............we cancelled it.

We have had many HEAVY rains and the creek behind our house as well as the retention ponds have never been a problem. Well.........last night it was. The rain was so heavy that one minute all seemed okay and the next we could see the creek out of its banks from our back door. Within about five minutes the creek and the retention pond became one and the water was still rising. The water stopped within a few feet of our house. Luckily the rains slowed down and within about 15 minutes we could see the banks of the creek once again. I can't imagine what people who live near the creeks that constantly flood must go through.

During that period of time last night, we were trying to decide whether or not to put furniture up on blocks or wait. Needless to say, we are contacting our agent this morning.

Many people in Atlanta have had damage but again, this is nothing in comparison to what others have gone through south of us. This storm is STILL causing destruction. Many areas are still without power. Ours was finally restored this morning. Everyone, be careful.

Archived