Eastern vs Western Caribbean

Hi all. I was wondering if I could get some feedback.

We want to book the Mariner for the fall but am torn about the Eastern & Western Caribbean. Both cruises are basically the same price - about an $100 difference for all of us total.

We did the Western Caribbean over Thanksgiving and missed Labadee, but did Jamaica, Grand Cayman and Cozumel which we enjoyed 2 of the 3. On the Eastern Caribbean I have already been to CocoCay. I went to St. Thomas as a child and remember loving it. Never been to St. Maarten.

Our family consists of 3 kids (4, 7 & 10) and DH and myself who are 32. We love beaches, water sports, snorkeling etc as do the kids.

So it is the same price basically and Western Carib has 4 ports, Eastern had 3. In your opinions, which itinerary should we choose?

We do not snorkel but cruise with friends that do. They tell us that snorkeling at CocoCay is good but the snorkeling and beach at St. Johns, specifically at Trunk Bay (you can get there while in St. Thomas) is FANTASTIC!!!

We personally like eastern better due to the ports being cleaner/nicer/more friendly than the western. The downfall to eastern is the chance to miss CocoCay due to bad weather.

Tim

I would suggest the Eastern itinerary, simply because you haven't done it. I have done both itineraries and like them both. There are very nice beaches at St. Maarten and St. Thomas. Snorkeling is probably not as good as the Western Caribbean overall. One exception is St. John (St. Thomas) which is supposed to be very nice, though I haven't been there.

I really like the towns of Phillipsburg and Charlotte Amalie. Phillipsburg is probably my favorite overall. Charlotte Amalie is bigger and has some interesting shopping and sightseeing.

Jeff

The past few times we have cruised we have asked the crew which they like better, and almost to the man, or women, they say Eastern,

We, however like the Southern better than either. Of course that usually requires flying into San Juan.

I would do Eastern. I think after one stop in Jamaica, there isn't too much else to do. Cozumel is so touristy anymore and tendering in the Caymans is a pain and not 100% guaranteed - same with Labadee which you already know. Eastern has all docks and seem to be safer ports to walk around and enjoy. We are doing Southern next!

Archived