Attention Dancing Fans

truffles2

A bit of news for those sailing on Explorer:

Royal Caribbean to Debut New Dance Production Show (01/10/08)

Royal Caribbean International guests can swing into the spotlight in "Invitation to Dance," a new production show featuring guests as stars aboard Explorer of the Seas. The show was created in conjunction with Louis van Amstel, Emmy-nominated choreographer for ABC-TV's "Dancing with the Stars," and Cheryl Burke, two-time winner on the show. Guests sailing on Explorer have the opportunity to compete for the honor of best ballroom dancers at sea. Guests can receive the guidance of professional dancers, stylists and make-up artists. Chosen during an evening of ballroom dancing at the beginning of each cruise, four couples are selected to participate in the "Invitation to Dance" production show later that week. The finalists work with Royal Caribbean's professional ballroom couples to learn dance moves and attend costume fittings. Explorer of the Seas sails year-round from Cape Liberty Cruise Port in Bayonne, N.J., on five-night Bermuda getaway cruises and nine-night Caribbean vacations.

Saw that yesterday and was wondering if it would spread to the other ships. It would be great fun. Some ships have talent shows that could include something like this.

Art

It would be fun, the wife and I are hoping it'll spread through the fleet. What ships did you sail on? I'm a retired bubblehead twidget.

My wife and I were both (among a total of 4 passengers) selected to participate in something like this aboard the Celebrity Constellation over NYE. It wasn't this elaborate, though. We tried out on the third day of the 10-day cruise and were assigned to one of the professional dancers aboard who worked with us (usually about an hour a day) on a routine (hers was waltz, mine was cha-cha). We then performed it on the last sea day.

There were no costumers, stylists or makeup artist involved and not much in the way of prizes. It was mainly just for fun. The final show was held in one of the lounges and was publicized in the daily schedule and announced at the show in the main theater. I'd say between 50 and 75 people showed up to watch.

By the way, she won, I didn't.

Archived