Infinity Alaska 28 April Excursion questions

Auscruisers

Hi, this is our first cruise to Alaska. We have already booked the Grizzly Bears in Prince Rupert, Dogsledding in Junea and Butchart and Butterfly Gardens in Victoria.

Has anyone done these excursions. What can we expect?

Is is worth doing the excursions in Ketchikan and Icy Strait Point or should we do the sightseeing thing without excursions. Are they easy to get around?

Thanks

Carol and Steve Australia

There is a great excursion into Misty Fjords on a Catamaran and there is whale watching available in Icy Strait Point.

I am going to spend a bundle on my Alaska cruise. What the heck? I am 65 and this is probably my one shot at an Alaska cruise.

We were on the Infinity to Alaska July/07. Icy Point was one of our favorite stops. We booked a private whale watching tour with F.I.S.H.E.S and it was a highlight. We saw lots of whales and some bears. Afterwards, we had a leisurely walk through Hoonah back to the pier where we then explored the cannery/museum, which is very well done. Have you gone over to the Alaska board? That site is an invaluable resource for planning an Alaska cruise. Have a great trip.

In IPS you can catch a bus outside the cannery and go into Hoonah. Early May may still be pretty cool.

The village is real not a fluffed up version.

The cannery and exhibits are really neat and easily done right off the tender.

Downtown Ketchikan is right off the dock.

Hi, this is our first cruise to Alaska. We have already booked the Grizzly Bears in Prince Rupert, Dogsledding in Junea and Butchart and Butterfly Gardens in Victoria.

Has anyone done these excursions. What can we expect?

Is is worth doing the excursions in Ketchikan and Icy Strait Point or should we do the sightseeing thing without excursions. Are they easy to get around?

Thanks

Carol and Steve Australia

Butchart Gardens is a nice excursion. Plenty of walking, but mostly level walking paths through beautiful flowers and shrubbery. They also serve a High Tea if you are interested.

Butterfly Gardens is one I could have done without. A few butterflys in an enclosed greenhouse, which was somewhat hot and humid when we visited.

At the Inner Harbor below the visitor center in Victoria there is a whale watching and high speed watercraft excursion company.

Ketchikan has a visitor center at the dock where info and tours are available. Also other tour vendors at the docks. Lumberjack show is at the end of dock by small boat harbor behind a large dockside store.

Icy Straight Point has the huge eight Ziplines from a mountain down to the seaside. If you walk left from the dock/cannery museum you will reach the bottom of it and there is a ticket booth there. About $80 pp I think it was. We spotted some whales just off the shore from that spot. You may also be able to purchase tickets at the visitor's center at the dock and save walking down there. They take you up on the mountain by bus.

Have a great cruise.

Icy Strait Point was my favourite port when I did my Alaska cruise in June '07. It was the least commercial, and that is what I liked about it.

Right off the pier, there are little shops and a museum. The town of Hoonah is not too far away.

I did an excursion called Remote Bush Exploration and Brown Bear Search. Unfortunately, we didn't see any bears, but it was still an absolutely gorgeous hike! We were lucky that we had really nice weather while we were there, too.

Enjoy! Alaska is beautiful, and there is lots of wildlife to see!

Butchart Gardens is a must see. The Butterfly Gardens were OK, but I would spend more time at Butchart and walking around the lovely town of Victoria. You can see pictures and read about our excursions in our Pacific Northwest cruise on our website www.thepreismans.com .

In Alaska we loved the helicopter landing on a glacier, bear watching and whale watching. We have lots of pics from these excursions on our Alaska review. You can get a lot of info on the Alaska Board. There is just too much to see and do for one cruise. Have a ball and enjoy it all.

Archived