Considering Sea Dream, a few questions

caviargal

We are considering a 7 day SDII caribbean cruise and I am trying to make sure it will be a good fit.

We don't like: kids, schedules, loud music by the pool, announcements.

We do like: very good wines, diverse and healthy food options for me, sinfully caloric delights for DH, wonderful service, comfy bedding, well traveled fellow passengers who are open and friendly. And, of course, caviar!

I also am a gym person and need to work out every day.

My very favorite cruise ever was on the Radisson Diamond, a twin hulled 200 passenger ship. It was so personal and service oriented that it was a delight. I know SDII will not be as luxurious (as least as far as staterooms) but I anticipate the same level of quality.

Are we a good fit for SD?

thanks!

We have two SD cruises under our belts with a third one scheduled for March 16 on SD1.

Our tastes are very similar to yours ... You won't find loud music by the pool, announcements or schedules. As far as kids are concerned ... we had kids on our first cruise and none on our second. You can check with SD when you book your cruise about the demographics in terms of kids.

Wines like food are subjective ... let's just say that we have never gone hungry or thirsty on SD:p There are some very nice wines for purchase if the house pours aren't to your liking. I think in the 14 nights we have sailed on SD we have purchase two bottles of wine for special occasions.

We haven't sailed since the new bedding was introduced ... I am sure others can comment. I have walked past the gym but haven't used it ... again I am sure others will comment:D

We still keep in touch with folks who we have met on our SD cruises ... so yes you will find open and friendly folks.

I think you will enjoy SD!

I was a little concerned about a recent and pretty negative review though I take them all with a grain of salt when I do not "know" the poster.

is the dining room really loud and noisy? It is really hard to get a table for two? Hopefully, the reviewer was not talking about the new beds as HAL has us spoiled in the bedding department.

I hear you about the beds on HAL! We really loved the bedding in our SC aft suite during our Turkey Day cruise. As a matter of fact, DH and I agree that bedding was the best we have slept on in a hotel or on a cruise ship.

Granted, we have not yet tried SD's new bedding.

I have never found the Dining Room on SD too noisy. Actually it is so MUCH quieter than what we found on our HAL cruise (it's more like Pinnacle Grill in terms of ambiance and service).

We have never had an issue with getting a table for 2 although during the course of the cruise we may end up dining with new acquaintances some nights at a table for 4 or 6 or even 8!

I agree that you have to take the reviews (good and bad) with a grain of salt as your mileage may vary.

SD is our favorite cruise line ... we sailed HAL in a suite in November, Seabourn in December 2006 and RCCL, Disney and Princess. SD is far and away our favorite.

I think you sound like a perfect fit with SeaDream.

I have been on since the new beds were introduced - and they are fantastic- very much like a Westin Heavenly bed.

I am not sure what the "negative" poster's deal was - the dining room is not noisy, and we have not had trouble getting a table for 2 ( and I agree with the other poster - we usually only do that one night - then we find people we WANT to dine with after that)

It sounds like SeaDream might be everything you are looking for.

Caviargal,

I can comment on the gym. It is actually a very nice size for a yacht. Newer, clean equipment with flat screen TV's. Chilled bottled water and towels. I have never seen it crowded.

Regarding the caviar. It used to be complimentary. Not anymore. You will see it at some of the cocktail parties and the caviar/champagne splash. There is also a HUGE canister at the Captain's party for repeat cruisers. You'll have to wait for that one unless you can "score" an invitation. It may be available for purchase also. Not sure...

SeaDream is a must for you. Try it once. I think you will be hooked.

I agree that SD is a great fit for you. No mega crowds on board, no kids (usually), the best food, no announcements, no loud music. I didn't find the dining room noisy. I am curious though about the new bedding. When did they put new bedding in? That was the only thing I disliked about SD. When we cruised to the Med in Sept., I thought the beds were as hard as a board. (Maybe because the mattresses sat on a wooden board, not a box spring.) Someone please let me know what the new bedding is like.

Mary Lou

Thanks everyone.

I am going to work on air today. We are looking at the 4/13 sailing.

How early could we plan to get to the airport in Bridgetown?

Is tipping also included?

It does look like the type of experience we prefer and the ports are appealing as well.

Thanks everyone.

I am going to work on air today. We are looking at the 4/13 sailing.

How early could we plan to get to the airport in Bridgetown?

Is tipping also included?

It does look like the type of experience we prefer and the ports are appealing as well.

Tips are included ... although if you wish you can make a contribution to the crew fund to reward excellent service. This is not expected by any crew member at all.

When we cruised out of Bridgetown in '06 we arrived at 3:15 p.m. the day of sailing. It worked out fine for us but we usually fly in the day before. Boarding usually starts around 2 p.m.

Sorry about that Caviargirl:eek:

When we flew home from Barbados we had an afternoon flight (2 p.m.). We disembarked at 9 a.m. and headed to the Hilton where we lounged by the pool and had lunch. Mind you that was in December '06. Maybe someone who has flown from Barbados more recently can give you an idea.

As far as the bedding goes - they were just putting it in when I cruise in late October on SeaDream 1. I believe that it was all complete on both yachts by the first or 2nd week in November.

THe only beds I found to be uncomfortable before the new beds were the beds that become the dining room table in the Commodore Suites- they were thin mattresses on plywood. When we had one like that, I just asked if they could fix it so it was more comfortable and they brought in a new mattress- and it was heavenly.

We were on a 9 day cruise recently - we had caviar in the Main Salon during the Cocktail Hour on the 2nd (I think) night... it was available to all... we also had it at the private party for repeaters.

It is Paddlefish (American) Caviar - which was VERY good. The large tin was consumed very quickly. It is not Beluga or Ossetra or Sevruga, but it definitely satisfied the Caviar craving.

We found the new bedding to be very comfortable; it was the bed itself that was quite creaky and noisy. We also did not find the Dining Room to be overly noisy - it was not unlike a normal restaurant with up to 100 people sitting down at the same time; in fact we thought the Dining Room itself was quite elegant - beautifully decorated; crisp linens; sparkling stemware...

I should know the answer to this question ... but I don't ... so I'll ask fellow SeaDreamers:

Is it possible to have a pitcher of Mimosas (perhaps even Grand Mimosas) delivered to your stateroom each morning say around 8 a.m.?

We did this on Seabourn as our wake up call. When we sailed on HAL in November we had OJ delivered at 8 a.m. and then made up our own Grand Mimosas when breakfast arrived.

We are considering a 7 day SDII caribbean cruise and I am trying to make sure it will be a good fit.

We do like: very good wines, diverse and healthy food options for me, sinfully caloric delights for DH, wonderful service, comfy bedding, well traveled fellow passengers who are open and friendly. And, of course, caviar!

My very favorite cruise ever was on the Radisson Diamond, a twin hulled 200 passenger ship. It was so personal and service oriented that it was a delight. I know SDII will not be as luxurious (as least as far as staterooms) but I anticipate the same level of quality.

thanks!

Hi caviargal,

I see you've received some replies, so I'll just repeat what everyone else has said. You'll be a great fit for SD. DH & I enjoy the same things you mentioned...except for working out everyday. :D I did see the fitness center while having a manicure and it looked great.

We thought the bedding was fabulous! We didn't have any problems with creaking or noises in general. And those toiletries...Love 'em.

We currently have a stateroom on hold on the same voyage as you. We expect to confirm it early next week. We plan on hitting the airport soon after disembarkation. On our last SD voyage, we spent two days post-cruise in Barcelona. It was very difficult getting out of SeaDream Princess Mode and back into the real world. So, no post-cruise Barbados time for us. I've learned my lesson. :)

The only time we had a table for two was for breakfast. During dinner, we alway had a table for at least 8 (one night it was for 10!) because we met absolutely wonderful people onboard. We'd have dinner together, then make our way to the Top of the Yacht Bar to continue the fun. The Dining Salon is very impressive and we didn't think it was noisy at all. Most of the time, we were the ones making the noise. :D

Have to go hit the treadmill. I look ghastly in a swimsuit. :eek:

I should know the answer to this question ... but I don't ... so I'll ask fellow SeaDreamers:

Is it possible to have a pitcher of Mimosas (perhaps even Grand Mimosas) delivered to your stateroom each morning say around 8 a.m.?

We did this on Seabourn as our wake up call. When we sailed on HAL in November we had OJ delivered at 8 a.m. and then made up our own Grand Mimosas when breakfast arrived.

I bet they'd do that for you, DJ. I had them for breakfast in the Dining Salon; I never considered having them delivered to the stateroom. You're a genius! You are, too, Jim, because you've actually had them delivered to your room.

You'll have to let us know if you are successful in sipping "sunshine" in your stateroom in the mornings so we can do it on SD2 in April.

thanks!

Nobody, but nobody, does the Caribbean as well as SeaDream, unless you own your own yacht.

We are planning to confirm today as soon as I can figure out air from Barbados to SJU one way.

I see comments on beach parties, etc., but cannot find detail on their website. Other than the champagne and caviar splash, I assume ports are all done on our own? Does SD have areas to enjoy the beach specifically for guests? Their website is attractive but not much meat there.

Thanks again for all who have taken the time to post.

We are planning to confirm today as soon as I can figure out air from Barbados to SJU one way.

I see comments on beach parties, etc., but cannot find detail on their website. Other than the champagne and caviar splash, I assume ports are all done on our own? Does SD have areas to enjoy the beach specifically for guests? Their website is attractive but not much meat there.

Thanks again for all who have taken the time to post.

The ports can be done on your own or you can book excursions through SD.

The caviar and champagne splash is usually held on the last day either on a private beach (Prickly Pear in Virgin Gorda) or on one section of White Bay (Jost Van Dyke) where there are lounges, tables etc reserved for SD.

The splash is always the highlight of the cruise for us ... nothing like sipping champagne in the warm Caribbean sea. There is a full BBQ lunch after the "splash."

In terms of beaches on the other islands the Activities Director can recommend some spots ... and there is a wealth of info from past SeaDreamers on beaches as well. Just let us know what islands you are interested in and we'll try to help.

Archived