Boxed Wine Question

stampinrobin

Hi there, Newbie here........have read posts about cruisers bringing a box of wine onboard ship. Sounds like a great idea to me........can I bring this in my checked luggage on the airplane? If yes, then do I just keep it in the checked luggage to get it on the ship?

Thanks for the help.......

Robin

yes you can put the wine in your bag and check it - but there is a 50 pound weight limit on your bags. Sometimes you'll get a nice agent who will let you slide - but most times you won't and you'll either have to pay for the extra weight, or do some serious shuffling around at check in. I'm speaking from experience here - our gate agent wouldn't let the extra 8 pounds go (and my husband works for the airlines-and altho he didn't know the agent, the agent knew he was an employee and was STILL a brat)

Anni

Another thought - If you bring boxed wine for your cabin, ask your steward for wine glasses. You can take the filled glasses w/you to the dining room. Tell the steward you'd like fresh glasses every day.:)

I put a box of red wine in my checked luggage. Ok....just to be safe I also put it in a 2 gallon freezer bag...just incase of the odd event that it got a puncture. No problem at all. It arrived in my cabin in great shape. My cabin steward supplied wine glasses without even my need to ask. I walked around the ship often with my wine and no problems there.

yes you can put the wine in your bag and check it - but there is a 50 pound weight limit on your bags. Sometimes you'll get a nice agent who will let you slide - but most times you won't and you'll either have to pay for the extra weight, or do some serious shuffling around at check in. I'm speaking from experience here - our gate agent wouldn't let the extra 8 pounds go (and my husband works for the airlines-and altho he didn't know the agent, the agent knew he was an employee and was STILL a brat)

Anni

Anni, you are right about sometimes sliding by, but you also know, of all the people who fly, the employees should even be more careful about the rules. We are parents of employees and know the consequences of over weight or more: not following the dress code in the "olden days"

Nita

I gotta have my box wine. :D We were planning on taking it out of the box, wrapping it up with our clothes and just bringing in our checked luggage. We will drive to our port so no airplanes to deal with. Has anyone done that and does it work? Is there a weight limit on the cruise ship per bag?

We always fly in the day before and go to the store to buy wine and just carry it on. The airlines lately are getting more strict with the luggage weight limit. My DH is an employee of an airline an is exempt from the limit and the few times we went over the agent was going to charge us.

Anni

I believe OP was referring to the ship, not the flight to the port. Technically, you cannot bring the wine onboard as carryon (Carnival states one "bottle" per adult), but it would be interesting to know if they would let it slide. I would check it rather than risk confiscation.

I gotta have my box wine. :D We were planning on taking it out of the box, wrapping it up with our clothes and just bringing in our checked luggage. We will drive to our port so no airplanes to deal with. Has anyone done that and does it work? Is there a weight limit on the cruise ship per bag?

While box wine used to be (and still is mostly) a joke, there are some pretty good boxed wines now, mostly from Australia. These are smaller also, so unless you can polish off 5 litres (equivalent of 6 2/3 bottles) you might want to consider one of these.

I have not heard of any weight limit.

Every trip we have taken a box. Placed it right up beside the TV out of the way and chilled it in the bottle as discussed. We have always put the box in checked luggage and not had a problem.

This time we are flying in and will buy the wine at a local store in Florida.

There is no weight limit on bags for the ship.

no weight limit on the ship and yes, it works well to just take it out of the box. We usually do this; because we are flying and only bringing a 3 liter box on, we are keeping it in the box for protection.

Nita

Archived