Galaxy Cruise to Greece, Turkey and Italy with a 2 1/2 year old in November 2008

jorodriguez

My husband and I are hoping to cruise on the Galaxy to Greece, Italy and Turkey departing November 3, 2008. We will be traveling with our son who will be 2 1/2 years old at the time of sailing and both of our mothers and my sister (so we will have plenty of hands to help keep him entertained). I understand it's a pretty good time to travel since it won't be too hot or crowded -- so we thought that would be good with a toddler in tow. We will be traveling from Rome to Santorini, Mykonos, Rhodes, Ephesus, Istanbul, Athens, and Naples/Capri (where we are interested in visiting Sorrento, Positano, & Pompeii).

I wasn't terribly concerned about cruising with our son until I started looking into the shore excursions and saw that many of them have a minimum age requirement of at least 6 years old. We've traveled with our son several times -- we went to NYC when he was 6 mos old, Boston when he was 18 mos old and plan on going to San Diego when he will be 22 mos old. I understand that parents are best judges of how their kids will do -- but I think he'll do ok. He's fine and entertained as long as we are moving (which isn't an issue since we hope to sightsee and tour) and usually falls alseep in his stroller. We plan on taking our carseat and our Pliko stroller which I have found to be lightweight but comfortable enough for my son to nap in while we are on the go.

I feel like I have a million questions. So, I'll set out the major questions I have and any insight/guidance anyone can provide would be GREATLY appreciated!!

(1) Will the ship store the car seat or do you have to keep it in your cabin?

(2) We are planning to stay in a regular room with a window (not a suite), is there a fridge to store milk and snacks for the baby?

(3) How do you go about arranging for private tours/drivers at the ports? Do you have a ballpark figure on the cost? Will the driver keep the carseat in the car while you walk/tour the city/town/ruin?

(4) Will the ship provide you a highchair/guarantee it for dinner every night?

(5) Will they supply a pack-n-play?

Thank you so much for all of your help and willingness to provide insight on this!

(1) Will the ship store the car seat or do you have to keep it in your cabin?

(2) We are planning to stay in a regular room with a window (not a suite), is there a fridge to store milk and snacks for the baby? yes(3) How do you go about arranging for private tours/drivers at the ports? Do you have a ballpark figure on the cost? Will the driver keep the carseat in the car while you walk/tour the city/town/ruin? Check on the Ports of call board...prices will be similar to what you would pay for ships excursion but advantage is that you are a smaller group and are more in control. Be aware that most trips are all day and I do mean all day...I cannot imagine a 2 1/2 year old putting up with it for long...pompeii/amalfi will wear you out and with child in tow it will be a challenge. You will be able to email your driver once selected; I suppose he will be happy to keep the car seat in the van.(4) Will the ship provide you a highchair/guarantee it for dinner every night?yes

(5) Will they supply a pack-n-play? I doubt it but I'm not sure about this one.

Thank you so much for all of your help and willingness to provide insight on this!

Enjoy!

(1) Will the ship store the car seat or do you have to keep it in your cabin?You will have to keep it in your cabin

(2) We are planning to stay in a regular room with a window (not a suite), is there a fridge to store milk and snacks for the baby?Yes, they have a mini bar you can have the cabin steward empty for you.

(3) How do you go about arranging for private tours/drivers at the ports? Do you have a ballpark figure on the cost? Will the driver keep the carseat in the car while you walk/tour the city/town/ruin?You can find out info on the port of call boards

(4) Will the ship provide you a highchair/guarantee it for dinner every night?Yes they have highchair not only in the restaurant but also at the buffet. Your waiter will get it once you arrive the first night, but after that it will be there when you arrive. As to the buffet, you'll have to ask each time

(5) Will they supply a pack-n-play? Have your TA put you down for a crib in your room. They will supply you with a small crib sized pack and play for sleeping. There will be little to no room to walk in the cabin with the pack and play in there.

Just keep in mind the cruise will be all about him. He will not be allowed into the kids program or into the pools

I definately agree with booking private excursions so you have more control.

I don't know about storing milk in the mini bar. Usually they're really not cold, and I wouldn't want to take the chance of the milk spoiling, then it not sitting on your child's stomach well. I think I would bring a collapsable cooler and have the room steward keep some ice in it for me.

I suggest you also go to the Family Cruising board. You will get alot of information and tips from parents who have cruised with their kids over there. They would be better equipped to answer your questions based on their own experiences.

Enjoy your cruise...

Archived