Hawaii to Auckland in October

osiebosie

We'll be on Millie this October from Hawaii to Auckland, with a couple of days layover in Tahiti (gosh, I just love cruise layovers...). I am assuming that this will be a very warm weather cruise.

Please tell me that I am assuming correctly. I have a booklet that says Auckland weather in October is in the 60's. :( All of the pics I've seen of Tahiti are indicative of string bikinis (which I won't be in). We've been to Hawaii, and I know it'll be warm there.

Plus, we will be flying home from Auckland. I know it's a long flight, but we've saved our air miles and will be flying first class. Does anyone have any tips or advice for this long flight?

In fact, any advice for this whole trip would be appreciated. We've cruised many, many times and know the ins and outs of cruising. We've cruised X before, but not Millie. But if you have anything worth mentioning, this thread's the place.

We're in a Concierge cabin.

Thanks.

Shay

We made the Mercury's voyage from Honolulu to Auckland in November, which is a little more into the southern hemisphere late spring than October.

Weather is Hawaii is warm in October ... probably 78 or so. FP is a little warmer than that. NZ was not cold at all, in the 70's.

You will be fine in tropical attire.

Having made dozens of these trans-Pacific flights while we lived in Sydney I have a few hints: Front of the bus - that is great! Take a pair of Isotoner slippers and change into them right away. Do not drink caffeine or alcohol. Get a good pair of noise-cancelling headphones (the plane noise bothers me). Keep your feet elevated as much as possible. If there are empty seats in your cabin, spread out! You will get priority boarding and hopefully a line pass to get you through immigration speedily.

Now, Tahiti is wonderful but real pricey. The weather should be very balmy. Lots of reflection from the water can give you a terrific sunburn regardless of the temp. Be careful.

Wish I could go with you!

We too did the Honolulu to Auckland leg in November 2007.

As others mentioned the weather should be pleasant. It should be hot and humid in the Tahitian Islands. Auckland could be any temperature and there is a good chance it could be wet too.

As for the flight back. Not a problem, if you're travelling First Class you should have a Sky Bed so you won't have a thing to worry about. Just keep up the fluids, i.e. water not fizz or too much alcohol.

Enjoy your cruise on Millie. DH and I would do it all over again in a heart beat too. There is something tranquil about the non-commerical Tahitian Islands.

Enjoy.

Jillybean:)

Hi Shay- there is a roll call for this sailing, please pop in!

I think it will be grand. Tahiti will be string bikini or tankini or swimskirt or whatever weather, true... just like my weather here. I think anything under 65 is cold- YES I am a tropical pansy!- and will be packed with some warm stuff. They do air-condition the heck out of the ships, so keep that in mind- it might be 90 outside but it is most always 75 inside!

We sailed Millennium in the Med a year and a half ago and are really looking forward to our return. The staff was terrific, we had an amazing sommlier and think Millie is just wonderful in all ways.

You have gotten good advice so far, no need to repeat the good things mentioned. Seats in the fromt of the plane are my favorite way to go, too...

Look forward to meeting you onboard in October, please do drop by the roll call, all the follks there are so nice.

I am a little late getting back to my replies, but thanks for them!

Since we'll be leaving Tennessee in October, we'll have on fairly warm clothing, so I will be falling back on that if NZ is cool. And for the flight home.

I have been to the roll call, and am fixing to jump over there again.

Thanks again for the tips.

Shay

dress as if you were born to ride in first class (maybe you were!). Folks in nice clothes with nice accessories are afforded better service in my experience. No sweats and flip-flops, please! Just like on the ship, the nicer everyone is dressed, the better the atmosphere.

Here's my goal, hybrn8.

I want to firm up, possibly lose a few pounds. Then, I want to find some really nice comfortable, traveling clothes, the kind that are made for traveling. Like in the Travel Smith catalog. Anyway, they look nice but are very comfortable, and don't wrinkle. We'll be leaving cold weather and landing in warm weather, so something that will work both ways.

If I can't find anything, I'll just wear my daisy dukes with my skin tight t-shirt and I'll put DH in his muscle shirt with his cut-offs and flip-flops. We'll just put our "stuff" in wal-mart bags to have onboard the plane. :) :) We'll also be sure to bring our pork rinds to munch on, since they leave lots of crumbs.

Just kidding!,

Shay

Archived