Following the Three Queens in NY Harbor....

mefck

I dragged my fiance out and captured some pictures, though the quality of many leaves something to be desired.... rocking boat + moving ship = difficult pictures, though I am sure with increased skill some may have come out better. I also didn't bring a tripod because I didn't know how strict they would be, so everything is handheld.

While we were docked at South Street Seaport, we could see the QM2 docked in Brooklyn.

244395687-L.jpg

Anyway, we began the night traveling up the East River (purposefully in the wrong direction) to kill time...

244395107-L.jpg

244395448-L.jpg

244396451-L.jpg

After a 45 minute wait (with open bar), we headed back south....

244396548-L.jpg

And we swung up the Hudson River...

244397509-

First, the Queen Victoria emerged from her berth...

244398096-L.jpg

Followed by the QE2...

244398597-L.jpg

244399887-L.jpg

Then the rain started coming down pretty hard and the wind whipped up.....just in time to try and get some fireworks photos! I put my makeshift rain kit (plastic bag with rubber band) on my camera and gave it a go...

244400613-XL.jpg

Crooked, I know...

244400723-L.jpg

After the fireworks ended, we followed the QM2 to see her leaving the harbor towards the Verrazano Bridge:

244399492-L.jpg

All in all, it was a fun night, if not too favorable for photography.

Beautiful! I really enjoyed seeing these photos.

May I ask what camera you use?

I use a Canon 20D SLR. I just started taking photos for fun a few years ago.

For most of the photos I used a lense put out by Canon that has a wide aperture which is helpful for taking photos at night. It is expensive, but worth it on nights like that.

Great pictures! What boat were you on? I had a tripod (on NY Water Taxi) and the pictures came out useless. Video was much better.
I was on NY Water Taxi also-(apparently the only one without the TV). I did see someone with a tripod and was mad at myself for not bringing mine because I was afraid they would not let me on with it.

I was the one in a black jacket and my fiance was there in a gray coat and a hood.

thank you so much for sharing the photos - we were on the QM2 when she arrived on Jan. 13th and my photos are nowhere near as clear as yours (probably due to me shivering as I took pictures!!) - we had to leave before the ships sailed out - so now I feel as if I was part of it all.

thanks again:)

Large passenger ships/liners in the night are a beautiful sight and these pictures, with the city skyline in the background, capture this historic moment well. A big thanks from those of us who could not be there.

My favorite is definitely the one of the QE2 out ahead of you, with the skyline behind her.

Thanks for taking the time and effort to post all of these images.

Paul

I was on NY Water Taxi also-(apparently the only one without the TV). I did see someone with a tripod and was mad at myself for not bringing mine because I was afraid they would not let me on with it.

I think there were two of us with tripods.

I was the one in a black jacket and my fiance was there in a gray coat and a hood.

I don't recall... I was to busy looking at the ships! :D

Large passenger ships/liners in the night are a beautiful sight and these pictures, with the city skyline in the background, capture this historic moment well.

The way the city lights reflected off the low clouds that night was an amazing sight.

Good shots there - and nothing wrong with being self critical either.

I was on the stern of the QE2 and whilst hitherto I have tended to use AV as the exposure method, at Southampton on the 5th I switched to TV to set the shutter speed as low as I could commensurate with still being able to hold a steady shot - 1 / 25 th or thereabouts.

It seems to work about one in four, so blaze away in digital and you de get a result.

Well done and thanks - night photo shoot at the ELR (preserved steam railway) might have a go to carry on practising

GREAT photos and a wonderful night! Man, it was cold though! I'm really upset that Cunard didn't have the QE2 in the lead. It should have been Elizabeth, Mary and Victoria.

Betsy

That was the formation in the morning. Fabio and I were on the Sun Deck observation area from just past the bridge until we docked. We'd been at the stern to watch Mary slide between us and Victoria. Victoria was a bit far for me to see, but Mary looked very impressive.

Bear in mind that Mary was waiting for the others for some while in the harbour - they were later than expected.

On the other hand, they did leave the best until last - both in terms of whistles and ships. From our corner of Zephyr a cheer rose on the sounding of Elizabeth's whistle.

Matthew

Wonderful pictures well done!

I was on QV arriving into NY and was impressed when QM2 stopped and we passed on up the Hudson. I was also on QM2 out of NY on 13 January and the snow didn't help.

In my opinion, the evening event would have been much enhanced if QE2 had passed QV and QM2 and took the lead out into the Atlantic. QE2 did this on 25 April 2004 and it proved a magnificent sight. Overall the event on Sunday 13th January was stunning. Thank you New York and Cunard.

Perhaps this event will be repeated by Cunard in 2010 or 2011 when Queen Elizabeth joins the fleet? :)

QV Baltic 18 July 08 (meets QE2 in Zeebrugge 19 July, passing QE2 in English Channel on 31 July and meets QM2 in Southampton 1 Aug) &

QE2 Final Voyage to Dubai 11 Nov 08

Archived