Any tips before visiting the Flea Market @ Aloha Stadium?

jwhitlow

We will be on the May 8 RCCL Serenade Hawaii sailing and our return flight doesn't leave Honolulu until 9:30p on Wednsday, so we have time to visit Hawaii largest flea market...yippee. Any tips anybody?? thanks

The Swap Meet is open 6am to 3pm. It is best to go earlier in the day (pre 11am for sure) because the sun is brutal, the crowd starts coming, and you are walking on hot asphalt.

If youre driving, there is a parking lot just as you enter the gate. I dont park in that one because it is usually crowded and full of tour busses. If you drive the perimeter of the stadium (the swap meet goes all around the outside of it), you might catch a parking space right up against the shopping...or if you dont, the parking lot on the other side of the stadium (back near the exit/entrance) that is large and vastly empty in the early part of the day.

MOST of the swap meet has the same kinds of things...clothes, sarongs, hawaiiana, tshirts and the like. Knowing this, I walk into the shopping as far as I feel like, checking out the prices and then walk back to my car buying from the best place. A very unusual item may not be at several vendors, but for the mass produced items, they make up most of the tents.
For example, I needed to buy a lot of shell leis. Right away I saw a dozen for $4....then I saw some at .30 a piece....but not priced as a dozen. I walked about 4 or 5 minutes and found better quality ones for $3 for a dozen.

I don't like to haggle so this process works for me.

Also, bring a hat or sunglasses because it is quite bright. Sunscreen your sandaled feet. Bring a bottle of water because you can pay quite a bit for bottled water here.

I am sure others have tips.
Aloha

NCL Star 1/04
What's Next? Alaska 2005 - Ask me about an official CC group!

What days are the swap meet? Also are they closed on holidays? We will be on Oahu from Saturday May 29 through Tuesday June 1. Will there be any swap meets during this time? Thanks!

Can't wait till 5/19/04 on the Wind
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2004;05;19;20;00;00&timezone=GMT-1000[/img]

Every Sunday, Wednesday and Saturday from 6am to 3pm. I think it is only closed on game days. You should have 2 chances to get there.

NCL Star 1/04
What's Next? Alaska 2005 - Ask me about an official CC group!

Archived