Anyone Rented a Car at the Pier & Returned It to the Airport?

moondoggie

This was an excellent idea was suggested by another CC member. Since we have 8+ hours between disembarkation and our flight home. they recommended we rent a car, lock the luggage in the trunk, and go to the beach for the day! Anyone done this before? If so, got recommendations for a reliable rental company? They also suggested Hollywood Beach.

All ideas gratefully welcomed! Thanks.

We have never rented at the pier...did not know you could, however, have dropped off and picked up a rental car at the airport many times. We live on the west coast of FL and always drive a rental over and then drop it at the airport. We drop off our luggage and then return the car.

The shuttle runs between the airport and the port about every 30 min or so.

All the major car rentals are at the airport. We use avis and national. Always have had a good experience.

Hope this helps.

What rental companies have you used as some will not do this? Are they airport locations or just drop off at airport? I have thought about getting picked up and then having them drop us at the airport

- as we can get off the ship at like 9 AM and my flight isn't until 7:15 so we want to go to the beach

TIA

Mickeyfreak, and any others who are interested, I just used Priceline and got a midsized car for $19 plus $15 in taxes and fees for the day. I'll cab to the airport while my DH is finding our luggage, and come back to pick him up. Then, we'll hit Hollywood Beach, as suggested by another CC-er, and use our car as our 'portable hotel room'. We'll return the car to the airport just before flight time.

I think it would depend on which airport you are discussing. I know long long ago, when we would go to Fort Lauderdale, we did it the other direction and would rent the car at the airport and drop it off at the cruise terminal but I thought I had heard that they stopped doing that after 9-11. Also, you could pick it up in Fort Lauderdale or Miami and drop it off at the other with no fee.

Also, on various port calls, there are many car rental agencies that will pick you up at the ship, drive you to their rental car location so you can rent the car and drive you back to the ship. It really depends on which location you are discussing, but even when we did it in FLL many years back, there was only one or maybe two you could do it with. My memory wants to say one was Dollar, but this was a LONG time ago. I'm not sure it's still available there anymore.

Where are you trying to do this?

Cathy

Thrifty has a location at the airport and will shuttle to/from. There are also other companies with locations near the Ala Moana Mall, but beware, some charge a drop off fee. One that does not is National. They do have shuttles to/from the pier to those locations. Don't forget you must be at the airport 2 hours before flight time, definitely recommended at Honolulu airport since your luggage must undergo the Dept. of Agriculture inspection.

Also be aware that car breakins do happen, so make sure there is nothing in the passenger compartment and don't open the trunk while you are at the beach. Friends of ours had a purse stolen that they put in the trunk while parked at a beach on Oahu. The thieves broke into the trunk through the passenger compartment.

Archived