beach hopping in Maui?

MOMofONE

Still deciding on that Road to Hana like the others on my cruise who posted questions about it. So thought I'd come up with a PLAN B.

If I drive to Maalaea Bay area, from Kahului, what beaches would you recommend? Is it worth going to/past Makena?

We thought we'd hit a few beaches here then head towards Lahaina for shopping and on to the North beaches.

Again, is it worth driving to beaches past Kaanapali?

Would you recommend continuing around coast back to Kahalui or cutting across and driving thru the Valley area?

We are interested in safe swimming with pre-teen, boogie boarding and snorkeling if that helps on beach choices.

Would love to see some waterfalls and other scenic beauty on way back. Being back on ship for late dinner and show would be ideal but not neccessary. (Guess we'd be headed out at 9 am by time we get rental)

The Hawaii board rocks!! Too bad you all don't come in a handy purse-size to take with me! icon_biggrin.gif

Tina

Tina,

From Kahului, you'd probably want to bypass Maalaea all together and head down to Kihei/Wailea which has much better beaches. Kamaole Sands I, II, and III are pretty good beaches though overall, the more south you go, the better the beaches get. Makena's Big Beach is really nice. La Perouse Bay past Makena has great snorkeling.

Lahaina has great shopping and Kaanapali has good snorkeling and is a nice beach. But you could go more north and go to Honolua Bay or Kapalua Bay - either of them have pretty good snorkeling though Honolua is probably better.

I personally do not recommend the north road that goes from Kapalua around to Kahului ... I've tried driving it in the past and chickened out (one lane road, steep cliffs, and no guard-rails in certain sections) However, others have driven it before and remarked that they found the beauty incredible so assess on your own.

Spleen

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;6;9;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500  until RSSC Navigator - Canada - 6/04

Carnival Conquest - W. Caribbean - 10/03, Celebrity Infinity - Alaska - 6/03, Ocean Princess - Alaska - 7/02

Dear spleen -

ALWAYS the gentleman! You've earned the Hat Trick Score by answering all three of my topics! GO SPLEEN! icon_cool.gif

Looks like if we beach hop, may be best to go as far south as possible (Big Beach/La Perouse) THEN work our way towards Lahaina.

Apllying same theory - drive as far north as possible (Honolua) and then work back along the North Shore.

Apparently, there is not a road that cuts across Iao Valley, from Lahaina to Kahalui.

I guess any "inland" touring would have to be done on a seperate trip, perhaps upcountry.

About the Big Beach and beyond area - the map on drive guide magazines web site states driving beyond Big Beach is one of those "forbidden by rental car contract" areas.

Is it feasible to park and walk to the La Perouse Bay for snorkeling?

I am giving Hana Drive another thought - I like your suggestion (to another poster) to do it our 2nd day in port. I'm happy to hit the road at 6 AM or earlier to avoid the traffic.

Much Mahalo again Spleen

Tina

Tina - your plan sounds reasonable. If you're really nervous about the small print in your rental contract, yes, you could park near Big Beach and walk to La Perouse (might be a pretty good walk). Good luck with all of your plans! (and you're very welcome)

Spleen

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;6;9;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500  until RSSC Navigator - Canada - 6/04

Carnival Conquest - W. Caribbean - 10/03, Celebrity Infinity - Alaska - 6/03, Ocean Princess - Alaska - 7/02

We took our rental car down to La Perouse, and so did a lot of people. It's not that bad at all. However, I don't know I'd recommend it with kids (pre-teen) because the access to the water is pretty rocky.

Big Beach is a great place for some boogie board close to to shore, but watch out for the shore break. We like to go there and have done so with our kids.

Honolua Bay is very good snorkeling, but again it is a rocky beach... not as tough as La Perouse though. However, Kapalua Bay is very easy access, and for beach beauty, it's hard to beat. Another thing if your kids are OK swimmers and want to do the boogie board thing, Flemming Beach is between Kapalua Bay and Honolua. It's just north of the Ritz. Sometimes the current can be brisk, but our kids loved the shore break there for body surfing and the boogie boards. Just past Kapalua bay (South) is Napili Bay. It's not a great (just OK) snorkel spot, but its a very picturesque beach and very good swimming. There is some good shore break near the center, and many kids, including locals go there to play in the water.

Lots of choices... Have fun.

paul

Thanks for sharing your experience paul.

My daughter (age 11) looks forward to boogie boarding and is an OK swimmer - wouldn't allow her to take on anything too hairy.

Will be sure to ask about conditions in each place.

Where is most convenient place to rent boogie board if traveling from Lahaina to hit the West & North beaches?

Tina

Their main shop is located in Kihei before you hit the Kamaole beach parks. Look for big building on the left. icon_smile.gif

Maui Dive Shop rentals

Spleen

<A HREF="http://www.escati.com/counter98/free_time_codes.htm" TARGET=_blank>

time98.gif</A>

OK - looks like we are set to Hang Ten then!

OR, if Hanging Ten is surfing then I guess we'll just be "Hanging 4 1/2" on a boogie board! icon_biggrin.gif

I curtsey to you both (likely hurt something doing that)

Tina

Archived