?? about Bare Minerals

scarletine

I know a lot of ladies on this board use this particular brand of makeup, and I had a couple of questions...

Is it just me, or does this stuff take some practice to apply? I either look like I have nothing on, and have zero to no coverage; or I have too much on, and up close it still looks really "makeup-y".

I bought a starter pack at Ulta the other day, and I'm having a real hard time achieving a happy medium. Yeah, it looks great from a distance, but up close it's a little scary.

And does anyone really like/use that "Warmth" stuff? I've tried it a couple of times, and I think I'm going to go back to blush. It just seems to have this weird pearly glow to it, and it's a trifle orangey.

Any tips/ideas to get this stuff to look right?

Scarletine, using BE takes practice. There are things that I like about it and things that I don't. My main problem is I cannot get what I consider the perfect shade for my skin. I usually use Bobbi Brown makeup but I took some BE as well as Bobbi with me on vacation last week because it is quicker to apply. It is a good idea to use a good skin primer to make makeup application easier. I use Smashbox Photofinish over my moisturizer before applying the foundation. As for Warmth, if you use it at all (and a lot of people don't because it is too orangey), use it only on the areas that would naturally get the sun and very lightly. By all means use blush too.

I am wondering, could it be that you do not have the correct shade for your skin? I took 2.3 with me and used it during the day while on vacation and because I had a bit of color to my face it was a better match for me than usual.

Good luck!

First thing, like Seagulls said is to make sure you have the right color. Swipe a strip of it along your jawline and see if it "disappears".

Next suggestion I have is to not apply it in front of the mirror. After you put your moisturizer on, wait until it's dry. Then swirl and tap. Walk away from the mirror before buffing and if you want to see how it looks before going on to the next step, wait about 5 minutes. Here's another thought - you may actually have more coverage than you think. Try doing half your face and look at the difference.

Biggest suggestion is not to use too much. Better to go light. If you've done all of the above and still don't have enough coverage, put on just a little more.

I'm not a huge fan of Warmth. I have used it, but I prefer either Warm Radiance or True as an all over face color. These don't take the place of blush. Just give you either a tan glow (Warm Radiance) or a rosy glow (True).

I did test the foundations extensively to make sure I had the right shade. I think my problem is with application.

Do you all use the regular brush when you apply, or do you use the kabuki brush? I tried using my powder brush as a makeshift kabuki brush this morning, since the regular brush didn't seem to be doing much, and that's when I had the problem with the cakey look. And no amount of "buffing" could seem to help reduce that.

But it's possible my brush was poofier than the actual kabuki brush. I just couldn't see spending $28.00 for a brush to use with a foundation I might not like. I'm cheap that way. :D

I don't think that makes you cheap. I used BE for around 2 years before I got a kabuki. I never had the flawless application brush. I started with the retractable brush, then moved to the kabuki.

You do need a good brush. Doesn't necessarily have to be the BE kabuki, but for best results, it should be a brush made for mineral make up application.

I visit another bulletin board on Delphi forums called BE Addicts. Why don't you check it out? There are lots of great tips there, also links to sellers (including brushes that work well with BE). There is a 72 hour waiting period before you can post there, but you can check out all the "archives" and see if anything helps.

Scarletine, I think that you will get used to the look. Even though you think you are not wearing enough makeup it is amazing how many flaws it covers. Give it some time and if you can get a kabuki brush (or they talk about a flat headed brush that is even better on the BE addicts board), go for it. Good luck.

Scarletine,

It took me a couple of weeks after I brought BE to start using it everyday. I could not get the hang of it either. I used the product for about three months before I brought the kabuki brush. It did seem easier to apply after that. I also use philosophy "the present" foundation clear makeup as my base. About a year ago I found "Sheer Cover" by Leeza Gibbons. I mix it with BE because it has a little more coverage but the colors aren't quite right. But together with BE....I LOVE the LOOK :D :D :D

Scarletine.....keep workin' at it :)

http://www.sheercover.com/?TS_uid=V6BYf1&siteid=YBcart&LSSITEID=l11aXd4TKTE-6zUIm5TJ840.rx4rltIkOQ&

You can also find sheer cover on HSN

I tried BE because of the ladies on this board and I have grown to LOVE it. First, I use Bisque for those areas that need a little extra coverage and I put in on before foundation. During the day I don't even need the foundation but I use it for evenings. I found that Warmth was too orange for me so I use Glee as a blush and have been very happy with it. There are a brand of brushes at Target.. Sonya something or other... that work very well with BE.

Well, I splurged and got the kabuki brush yesterday, and found I like it much better than the brush that came with my kit. Although the kit brush makes a nice blush brush, so I'll still get some use out of it.

I discovered that if I shake the containers, and only use the powder that ends up on the inside of the lid, that I get just enough for the amount of coverage I want. I've given up on the Warmth all together, and have gone back to my normal blush. I think it looks MUCH better.

So, I'm getting the hang of it. It doesn't cover the dark circles under my eyes as completely as I'd hoped it would, but it does make quite a difference. I still use my concealer, but I'm certainly needing a lot less of it than before.

All in all, I'm really beginning to like this stuff, and am fairly amazed at how long it lasts during the day without needing any kind of touch up. I'll check out that forum too, and see if I can pick up any other hints. Thanks for all your help! :D

Suggestion:

I don't know if anyone else has oily skin but my face gets shiny. Here's what I've found works best, sorry this is off the Minerals topic:

Origins - Deep Down Cleanser, Oil Refiner Toner and Matte Scientist moisterizer.

I normally follow that up with what I feel are the best makeup products ever:

MAC

I love wearing a little concealer and the Blot Powder. No need for a foundation at all. Just two steps with a sponge and a powder brush. All done. Perfect for cruising.

Crsshiplover, if you like MKay, then it's probably best to stick with it. As a former MKay wearer who was bothered by the "masked" look the make-up gave me, I find BE to be incredible. It's sheer, extremely natural, and the best stuff I've ever used.

Here's a hint for another poster who found that it didn't cover her dark under eye area: apply dots of the BE (regular foundation) underneath your eye with your finger. Then load your brush as usual with BE (same color) and swirl back and forth across the dots of Be under your eyes to blend it. Continue swirling the BE over your entire face. I actually dot some of the powder on a couple of other areas that I want extra coverage and do the same thing as the undereye area. It helps the discoloration and looks perfectly blended. I also found that nothing works as well for me as the Kabuki brush. The $28+ was a good investment for me.

If you have the Warmth blush and you have blue (cool) undertones, donate it to someone who has yellow (warm) undertones. I love "True" and I have the cool undertones. It's perfect!

I have been using BE for about a year. The other day I was playing with some of my liquid make (Models Perfer), which I use to love, but after using BE it really feels awful on my skin. I tan and use the warmth. What I don't like is clear radiance. It's too shiny pink. I also like the glee. I will be near a mall that has a BE store next weekend and will be buying soem supplies. I like the brush that came with my kit. I clean the brushes with shampoo and they are like new.

I have used BE for 2 years now and love it....I use the big brush that came with the foundation the first time i bought it on QVC. The thing about shaking and jar and using what's on the lid is the trick. I also put it on away from the mirror......no need for the mirror really at that point. I think the trick is less is more? Anyway I love it and it just doesn't feel goopy. My daughter in law uses it now and at first she was not looking great because she was using too much. Anyway........i love it!

Angie

Question........I still have oily skin (yes at 48 it is still a curse). Is BE good for oily skin, or is it more for normal or dry skin?

How do you pick a shade if you have to order it over the internet (no store in my area).

Confused over the different types...which is 'makeup' which is a setting powder, etc.

HELP

Jen

I've been using BE for almost 2 years and still love it....everything about it....the colors, the sheen and sparkle and am still amazed that I haven't tired of taking the extra time to apply it. At first I had a little trouble getting it right but found if I ground those little minerals into my skin with a little pressure on my Kabuki it seemed to work better. I agree that a little goes a long ways, and that is probably the hardest thing to learn....it is just so different from any other makeup......I am a true fan...can you tell?

Sissy

Archived