Where were we on 7 M. Beach? Want to find a good spot this visit. Need help!

mlbcruiser

About 4 years ago me, my daughter & 2 of her friends took a cab to a location on 7 Mile Beach. I had told the cabbie to drop us off in a good location. Our van was FULL. She stopped at a location where you had to go through a small gate to get to the beach and we had to pay a small fee - around $4 pp. At first I protested because it didn't seem "public" and I asked if she could take us to a free entry point. She was very rude, yelled something unintelligable, waved me off & drove off. Everyone else disembarked w/no comments so we just went w/the flow and stayed there. It was pleasant enough and we had a nice few hours there. To our left (facing the water), was a large chain hotel serving lunch at tables on a sort of terrace. It was a Marriott or something. Can anyone take a guess at where we were dropped off - the name of it?

In a few weeks we will be visiting GC again and will have 6 people w/us who have never been there. We'll do the usual snorkeling/Stingray city thing in the a.m., w/an option to be dropped off on 7 Mile Beach or in town afterward. I'd like to get dropped off at a nice beach location where we could sit at tables, have a froo froo drink & lunch while enjoying the beach. Being in an area w/a lot of people (like near a lg. hotel) would not bother us. Any ideas?

Thanks for any suggestions or tips!

Seems like you were dropped off at the Colony Club. My guess the cabs receive a kick back for dropping off passengers here.

I go to Sea Grape Beach which is a little further up the beach. They have clean facilities, food, drink, rental chairs, umbrellas. Allow 30 minutes to return to the ship tenders.

http://family.webshots.com/photo/2109936810053066111yRqjko

Seems like you were dropped off at the Colony Club. My guess the cabs receive a kick back for dropping off passengers here.

I go to Sea Grape Beach which is a little further up the beach. They have clean facilities, food, drink, rental chairs, umbrellas. Allow 30 minutes to return to the ship tenders.

is sea grape all inclusive? or is the beach free and you just pay for chairs,etc? any info would be helpful. thanks

Are you sure this was Cayman? The behaviour described by the driver is completely unacceptable here! I would report such to the governing authorities.

Businesses can charge you for accessing their property and using their facilites, but there are plently of free access points to the beach. There is no need to put up with such as you described.

--- Sea Grape is not all inclusive. You can, if you choose, rent a chair, shade, or water toys. There is a bar and grill onsite to buy drinks and lunch.

Thanks, everyone, for the replies and info!

I think we will be getting dropped off from a snorkeling boat this time. I recall getting the very last beach chair that was available for rent, too. It was $5 but that WAS 4 yrs. ago.

Yes, Drew, I am 100% SURE it was Grand Cayman.

Sea Grape sounds nice. So does Colony Club. Are they near each other?

Hi,

We are thinking of going to the Reef Grill. Has anyone been there lately? We want something fun, nice spot, good food and changing facilities. We will probably spend most of our day there. We are a mixed group of ages with children.

Thanks and I look forward to your comments.

Vanessa

Enjoyed your photos! Sea Grape Beach looks lovely. We went to Cayman Club area (former Hyatt) and rent chairs/umbrella at the place next door -- chairs have past their peak! Plan to try someplace new next time; Sea Grape is now on the list. Thanks

Kathy:)

Archived