LAND?SEA?AIR?- island priorities?

MOMofONE

OK - it is so hard to decide what to do on each island! Seems each one has so much to offer, my head is spinning!

I am trying to prioritize according to activity type. We want to experience Hawaii from the Air, Sea, and Land. We can't afford to helicopter over each island or take a catamaran along every coast. Or have time to hike every crater and drive every coast.

So if you could choose only one thing on Mauai, Kauai, Big Island, & Oahu, what would it be?
1 island for helicopter/plane?
1 island for snorkeling (boat)
1 long drive and/or hike
1 culture exerience
1 beach experience
1 shop til u drop
1 surf lesson
1 unique adventure/experience

Much Mahalo for your help yet again!

Just my opinion.

Island for helicopter: Kauai or Hawaii
Island for snorkeling: Hawaii or Maui
Long drive: Maui (Road to Hana)
Culture experience: ??? (not sure what this means)
Beach: any island - they're all good
Shopping: none - you can shop anywhere. [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
Surfing: Oahu (more schools)

Spleen

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;6;9;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]  until RSSC Navigator - Canada - 6/04

Carnival Conquest - W. Caribbean - 10/03, Celebrity Infinity - Alaska - 6/03, Ocean Princess - Alaska - 7/02

Thanks spleen (boy I have said that SO many times already!)
Hmmmm....really have to think about HANA seeing as it keeps coming up

As far as "cultural experience" - wanted to learn more about Hawaii History and it's People to really appreciate our time there.
I get the impression that most tourists do a Laua and consider it to be "history with a mai tai" and never desire for more.

As it turns out, just received latest issue of Hawaii Magazine and there is an event scheduled while we are in port.
It is the 41st Annual Cultural festival at the Puuhonua O Honaunau Nat'l Park, in Kona on June 27th. We were considering a short stop here as well so now it appears to be well worth the trip.
If anyone has additonal info/experience regarding this festival, would be appreciated!

Also thinking about Polynesisn Cultural Center in Oahu - sounds a bit touristy tho so still debating that one.

Thanks again for your opinions sleen, hope to hear from the other Hawaii locals and those who have toured there.
Tina

For culture, yes, Pu'uhonua o Honaunau would be good. Also, visiting Bishop Museum and/or Iolani Palace on Oahu would be good choices as well with a large display of Hawaiiana.

Where ARE my other compatriots on this board?? [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Spleen

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;6;9;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]  until RSSC Navigator - Canada - 6/04

Carnival Conquest - W. Caribbean - 10/03, Celebrity Infinity - Alaska - 6/03, Ocean Princess - Alaska - 7/02

OK Spleen, I'll join in on this one!

Without a doubt, you'll want to see the Kiluea volcano. To have an opportunity to walk on, look at, witness brand new earth...just a once in a lifetime thing. The Big Island is the newest place on earth and is growing every day. If that isnt the uniqe experience! You can walk it or helicopter over it but it shouldnt be missed. Spleen is right about the Helicopter...Big Island and Kauai get the nod for helicopter for sure.

Snorkling: Just from my CC experience, I hear a lot about the crater off the coast of Maui (Spleen, what is the name?)

Long Drive and Hike? Cant help there.

Culture: You mentioned PCC. It is a large, theme park like setting showing the 7 areas of polonysia. Since youre from the north east, you might know of Plymouth Plantation or Sturbridge Village where you can see what life was like for the people, participate in crafts etc. Similar kind of thing here. There is an IMAX show and lots of activities. This is highlighted with a luau and show in the evening. You do not have to eat the luau food to enjoy the show...you can get a burger from the snack shack if you want. This will give you a good look at the distant past of the islands.
Spleen is right, Bishop Museum is the largest in Hawaii and shows artifacts of Hawaiiana. There is also a planetarium and visitng exhibits and also hula shows and other demonstrations throughout the day.

Don't ask me about beaches. I hardly go to the beach. But we go to Ko Olina Lagoons because they are protected lagoons and I feel much safer with the kids.

Shopping....true it is anywhere. If you like bargain hunting or lower end shopping, the Aloha Swap meet (see other topics of this name, we have gone into it thoroughly)

Your right about Luaus. Most people wouldnt think of coming this far and not doing one. If you go to PCC, you can kill two birds in some regard by eating the luau there. But like I said, to me it is all about the show so I would make sure to see a show somehow. That will give you a lot of the culture too.

What you decide to do will all be based on you, your companions, ages, activity level etc. I have 2 small kids so I am so much more geared to go to the zoo, parks, aquariums. We arent yet allowed in Iolani Palace. But we do have a memebership to the bishop museum.

Incidentally, every place we mentioned has a web site. A google search will bring it up and you can decide for youself if you would like the place!
Have fun!

NCL Star 1/04
What's Next? Alaska 2005 - Ask me about an official CC group!

The crater off Maui? Molokini Crater. [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Spleen

Archived