OAT Tour to China

gbs

I am taking an OAT tour to China this spring. Can anyone give me any information on packing - what is the weather like in April and early May in China and Tibet? Is OAT more casual than other tour companies? Are skirts more convenient than pants? Are shorts ever acceptable there, if the weather allows for them? Any other suggestions? Thanks so much.

We went to China with Grand Circle in July 2004 but recently traveled with OAT to Thailand and have reserved with them again for this April to Thailand and Vietnam. We found that on our trips, both to China and Thailand, that the dress was casual--more so with OAT than with GCT. It was very hot when we went to China in July but will probably be cooler when you go, especially in Tibet. We wore shorts in China with no problem. I took a couple skirts that I could wear with different tops but mainly wore them in the evenings for dinner. Clothes are very inexpensive there so don't overpack and pick up some things once you get there. Have a wonderful time! We loved China and plan to go back in a couple years--probably on the OAT tour next time. Be sure to post how you liked it when you get back.

I was in China and Tibet last April/ May with OAT. It was a wonderful trip. Dress was pretty casual. We were able to most of our luggage in Chengdu when we went to Tibet, which helped a lot. I packed a collapsable duffle bag in my suitcase and used it in Tibet. I also checked the duffle on the way home, so had plenty of room for souvenirs. Weather was about ideal, we had one day of rain, fortunately the day we were on the bus most of the day between Chungquin and Chengdu. There were two occasions when we did dress up "a little"- the captain's dinner on the Yangtze cruise and the fancy hotel dinner in Chengdu, but most of us were still pretty casually attired. Several of the women had bought silk dresses or pant outfits in Shanghai, and they wore them. I didn't take shorts, but did wear capris most of the time.

Tibet was a little cool in the mornings, and a light jacket felt good. Pack sunscreen for Tibet, the high altitude really can cause sunburn in no time. Some people in our group had a lot of problems with the altitude. Oxygen is available for something like $3 for a bottle. I wasn't affected at all, but I live at 5000 feet here in the US.

Tibet is a shoppers paradise. I could have stayed there a week.

Thanks you for all your help....Kayelache, what did you shop for spefically in Tibet? I haven't done much research yet, so I'm not sure what they sell locally there. Any advice on shopping on the trip would be appreciated.... Thanks!

re shopping in Tibet:

I bought about a dozen silk scarves for something like $2 or $3 each, in a rainbow of colors. I wish I brought more. Also a couple of prayer bowls for about $5 each. T-shirts were $4 in the stalls, I love the one with Yak Yak Yak and pictures of the animals on it. After I bought one at that price, I found the same thing for $2. I bought a couple of wool stoles, really nice ones for about 5-6 dollars. Also several of the aprons that the tibetan women wear, about 2-3 dollars each. Lots of people bought what I guess you would call "hiking clothes" the sorts of things you buy in the sporting goods stores here, the pants with the zip off legs, and gortex jackets. There were a number of stores selling them, I bought a pair of the zip off leg pants for $12.

There were a lot of the crafty type things. I bought a stuffed yak, a small doll in the typical tibetan dress, and a small prayer wheel. Everything was very reasonable. There were a lot of stores selling higher priced things, jewelry etc, but I bought mostly cheaper souvenir type things. I wish I had bought a string of the prayer flags that we saw all over. Our hotel was a block from the outdoor market.

• 2 months later...

Archived