Independant land tour

lkjames1

Any suggestions or changes to this itinerary:

Fly into Anchorage, pick up rental car and drive to Wasilla for overnight.

Pick up some groceries in Wasilla before leaving and traveling to Healy for two nights. Go to Denali on first day, see the sled dog demonstations,

visitor center, etc. On second day, take the shuttle to Wonder Lake.

Return to ANC and drop off rental car. Is there anyplace that should not be missed on the way to ANC? Would I be missing anything if I did not take the train to Spener or Grandview? Staying overnight in ANC and traveling to Seward. Take full day Kenai Fjord cruise on first day.. Second day, take a shuttle to Exit Glacier or just walk around town before departing on cruise. Thanks for any suggestions!:)

There are two things not on your agenda that I would NOT have wanted to miss. One is the Native Heritage Center in Anchorage - both educational and fun! The other is the Sealife Center in Seward. If you have time on your way to Anchorage, the Hatcher Pass area is definitely worth the trip. ENJOY!! (I KNOW you will! ;) )

Any suggestions or changes to this itinerary:

Fly into Anchorage, pick up rental car and drive to Wasilla for overnight.

Pick up some groceries in Wasilla before leaving and traveling to Healy for two nights. Go to Denali on first day, see the sled dog demonstations,

visitor center, etc. On second day, take the shuttle to Wonder Lake.

Return to ANC and drop off rental car. Is there anyplace that should not be missed on the way to ANC? Would I be missing anything if I did not take the train to Spener or Grandview? Staying overnight in ANC and traveling to Seward. Take full day Kenai Fjord cruise on first day.. Second day, take a shuttle to Exit Glacier or just walk around town before departing on cruise. Thanks for any suggestions!:)

If you have time before Wasilla, scoot on over to North of Palmer, and visit Hatcher's pass and tour the old gold mine. Also there is a MuskOx farm you can tour on the road to Hatcher's pass.

It's Independence mine on Hatcher Pass. Be AWARE you can only drive the Palmer side, not Willow. What time are you getting to Anchorage?? I would stay in Talkeetna rather than Wasilla, if you are there before 6pm. There is plenty to see and do along the way, necessary- get a copy of THE MILESPOST, new editions come out in March. The Alaska State Parks offer hiking- Little Coal Creek is especially good, Eklutna Spirt House tours- excellent, Wasilla Sled dog museum and the cheapest of the cheap cart rides with Reddington dogs. :) Eagle River Nature Center, the stuff in Palmer. etc etc etc

I have only booked the 2 nights in Seward. I have not booked the air travel-but have looked at times of travel...not sure if we will arrive very late or very early. If early, can drive right to Healy and then on the return to ANC, see the recommended stops. Just in the planning stages now and want to allow enough time too see what should be seen in the time that we have. Thanks for any and all suggestions...it sure helps to have recommendations!:)

Archived