Shore Excursions

cruiseonly

Having sailed on many many other lines, and being a first time Cunard sailing, I was wondering how the shore excursions are booked.

Read some place that you can only book them on board.

Is that correct. On the other lines I was able to prebook ahead of the cruise, and pay either by credit card before the cruise, or else on board ship with the sea pass.

Have not received my documents as it is too early, but wanted to book the excursions ahead of time.

Having sailed on many many other lines, and being a first time Cunard sailing, I was wondering how the shore excursions are booked. Read some place that you can only book them on board. Is that correct.

Hi Cruiseonly,

no - that's incorrect. You should receive a brochure giving full details of the excursions and the relevant booking form along with your final documentation. You will then be able to book any excursion you want before you sail. For some of the more popular excursions this is, in fact, advisable as leaving it till you are on board may result in disappointment.

Hope this is helpful.

Jimmy

Having sailed on many many other lines, and being a first time Cunard sailing, I was wondering how the shore excursions are booked. Read some place that you can only book them on board.

Is that correct. On the other lines I was able to prebook ahead of the cruise, and pay either by credit card before the cruise, or else on board ship with the sea pass.

Have not received my documents as it is too early, but wanted to book the excursions ahead of time.

You can view all the excursions on the Cunard site; it's a separate tab on the same page as your itinerary, but you cannot book them online. When your documents arrive, you will receive an expensive, glossy book detailing all the available excursions and an order form to be filled in and faxed to Cunard.

The costs are added to your shipboard account, but make sure that you take the fax confirmation page and Cunard's order confirmation onto the ship.

No excursion tickets were waiting for us on the QM2. We were told they were sold out and there was no record of our order. I was able to show the proof and an extremely helpful lady at the tour desk immediately gave us everything we had ordered.

How does Cunard handle getting off the ship for a private tour? We are booking a private two day tour in St. Petersburg for the two of us or a very small group if we find other travelers who would like to join us. I've heard some ships really discourage passengers taking private tours. Also, some of the ports we have already visited so don't feel the need for a guide/tour. Thank you.

Will be waiting for the glossy book with the order form.

Looking forward to sailing on the Cunard line for the first time.

One other tip - note the expected arrival time of said glossy book, and chase it if it doesn't arrive. I've made three Cunard bookings, and not once has mine turned up without being chased.

Mary

How does Cunard handle getting off the ship for a private tour? We are booking a private two day tour in St. Petersburg for the two of us or a very small group if we find other travelers who would like to join us. I've heard some ships really discourage passengers taking private tours. Also, some of the ports we have already visited so don't feel the need for a guide/tour. Thank you.

I am writing from ignorance (nothing new there then:) ), but I think in St. Peterburg, there may be visa complications if you use tours other than Cunard's, but you may well have this aspect sorted anyhow. Otherwise, in my experience, Cunard don't mind what you do, providing you don't miss the ship. Jane

I think in St. Peterburg, there may be visa complications if you use tours other than Cunard's

Jane,

I'd been wondering about the visa thing with St Petersburg as well. I hope that they give us plenty of notice of the requirements.

I also hope that they've all kissed and made up after the current falling out over the British Council etc.

Jimmy

You'll need to check the visa situation carefully, and make sure you have the most up to date FCO advice (assuming you're from the UK).

Cunard push the tours in the sense that they are on the in-cabin TV and they make much of the fact that the ship will wait for a Cunard tour, and they are often stunningly unhelpful with advice, but they are not obstructive.

Research before embarkation is the key. We're no longer going to touch Cunard tours unless the area is particularly dodgy.

It is only tender ports where tours have priority in getting off (other than the top grades of cabin, which have their disembarkation special priority)

Matthew

Jane,

I'd been wondering about the visa thing with St Petersburg as well. I hope that they give us plenty of notice of the requirements.

I also hope that they've all kissed and made up after the current falling out over the British Council etc.

Jimmy

Jimmy, we're in St Petersburg in May, and have been advised that if we do a ship's tour we don't need an individual visa, but if we go off independently then we need to organise our own.

Mary

Jimmy, we're in St Petersburg in May, and have been advised that if we do a ship's tour we don't need an individual visa, but if we go off independently then we need to organise our own.

Mary

PS Jimmy, Sorry, I omitted to mention (a good word with lots of Ms and Ns:)) that we are going with P&O. Their rules on group visas may be different to Cunard's.

Mary

PS Jimmy, Sorry, I omitted to mention (a good word with lots of Ms and Ns:)) that we are going with P&O. Their rules on group visas may be different to Cunard's.

Mary

Hi Mary,

I am sure that I read somewhere that it is the same. It's all Carnival UK now anyway. They seem to use the same tour companies and services.

David

Hi Mary,

I am sure that I read somewhere that it is the same. It's all Carnival UK now anyway. They seem to use the same tour companies and services.

David

Thanks David; just wanted to ensure that I didn't mislead Jimmy, and was subsequently held responsible for him being unable to get off the ship:eek:.

Mary

Thanks David; just wanted to ensure that I didn't mislead Jimmy, and was subsequently held responsible for him being unable to get off the ship:eek:.

Mary

I found the link!

http://www.pocruises.com/before-you-sail/faq-Passports-and-Visas/Passports-and-Visas.aspx

"Russia – For cruises calling at St Petersburg, we expect to be able to arrange block visas for passengers travelling on organized shore excursions, however, if this is not possible we will advise you in good time to obtain a visa yourself. If you intend to go ashore independently in St Petersburg, a Russian Tourist Visa is required. This MUST be obtained before leaving home as visas cannot be granted during the cruise. Should you wish to obtain an individual Russian Tourist Visa, you will need to be sponsored by a licensed Russian Tour company. This company will provide you with the necessary documentation to obtain your individual Tourist Visa. After obtaining this information, you will need to contact a visa service or the Russian Embassy at http://www.russialink.org.uk for the visa. "

At least neither you nor I should now need to worry about a visit from one of Jimmy's unsavoury friends.

David

Colourimg im mow are we? Amd you nade a fumdanemtal nistake, so please repeat after ne: nomitor, niminun and morns. Thamk you.

Sir Nartim

Yes, the colouring in was really a bit ambitious for one of my limited powers. As for transposition, I merely point out suitable words that a cat might not know. :)

As to the serous point, after what you say, I really do think there might be serious difficulties with visas in St. P., if on private tours, and if they are allowing UK passport holders near the place by then.

Jane

Mary

Mary: It was the same for me when I did the trip on another line. I think that it is pretty standard. They get group visas for ship's excursions. Anything else, you need to get your own visa.

Bettie

Mary: It was the same for me when I did the trip on another line. I think that it is pretty standard. They get group visas for ship's excursions. Anything else, you need to get your own visa.

Bettie

Thanks Bettie. As pointed out by Jane, the Russians have upset us, or (just to be even handed) we've upset them, so the question may be academic anyway.

Mary

Archived