Fair Wind II, Kealakekua bay...urgent question!!

marilynbn

I was just on the phone with the Fair Wind people and they said that they do not advise people coming off the cruise ships that tender to make reservations with the Fair Wind excursion to Kealakekua Bay. She says that sometimes the people getting off the ships don't make it to their 9 am sharp departure. Has any one been able to do this. How long does it take to tender off the boat to shore. She said we would need to have a cab waiting and leave no later than 8:15. I will be soooo disappointed it we can't do this but it sounds like people on these boards have done this excursion so please pony up your advice!!! Marilyn icon_confused.gif

flahatch.gif

What about the later in the day cruises? I'm sure they have a lunch cruise and an afternoon cruise. What did they say about those?

Wait...it looks like thier afternoon one gets back at 5:30...what time does the ship leave? (you have to be back at least a 1/2 hour before that).

Emi

NCL Star-08/31/03 in Hawaii!

NCL Star-11/13/04 to Mexico!

Alaska summer 2005!

Here are some numbers of people you might be able to arrange to meet you at the ship and take you there. What time do you arrive?

Emi

Affordable Greetings & Transportation 75-5785 Kuakini Highway, Kailua-Kona, HI 96740, 808-334-0464, This company offers a variety of transportation services including local and suburban transit services, shuttle services, taxi services, charter services, and tour services.

Speedishuttle 73-5577 Kauhola Street, Kailua-Kona, HI 96740, 808-329-5433, 800-977-2605, Transportation services such as taxi, ground transportation, airport shuttles, resort cars, and adventure tours are available by this transportation company.

Alaska summer 2005!

Okay....I think I figured out when you arrive and depart. First...you will be coming from Hilo, so you really shouldn't be late for any reason baring a disaster. You get here at 7 am and they leave at 9 am. If you have someone waiting for you all, you could get from the pier to Fairwinds in about 20 minutes, but then you have to check in and stuff. So...if you can get off the ship by 8:15ish and someone is waiting for you to drive you there, I think you would be fine. Plus, they will take you right to the "door" instead of you having to find a place to park and walk over, which will save time.

However, I don't know if you can get to the pier by 8:15. Someone who has done it would have to let you know because I'm sure the first ones off will be the people with NCL excursions.

Hmmmmm

Emi

Alaska summer 2005!

Hi again SweetEmi, Isure do appreciate your help. These boards are incredible, to get info like this from someone who is there now! Anyway, I even asked the Fairwinds people if they would be willing to hold the boat for 10 minutes or so if were a group of 20-30 and she said no because since that is their busy season that would inconvenience 70-80 other people on board. I just can't believe that cruise people are unable to do this highly acclaimed excursion! She said that the afternoon excursion gets in too late to get back to the boat. I know that there are other ways to get to the bay, via kayak or raft but my post-surgical back would not be happy with these alternatives plus they don't have all of the other perks that the Fair Winds has. Do you know if there is someway to meet the boat if missed? Could we shuttle to Cooks Monument and then swim over to the boat? This may seem ridiculous but as you can tell I am woefully reluctant to give up on this! Marilyn icon_cool.gif

flahatch.gif

Well....if all else fails, maybe this will be a good alternative. I personally have never gone on the Body Glove but know people who have and they liked it. Here's a website http://www.bodyglovehawaii.com/

One really good thing is that they leave from the pier where you will be tendering to.

The snorkeling in Kona is some of the best in the WORLD....so if you can - go for it!

Emi

Alaska summer 2005!

We were on the Summit two years ago and a group of us (8) had booked the Fair Winds II for the morning excursion. We had a rented van waiting in the parking lot behind the little shopping center across from the tender pier. We made it to the boat with time to spare but only because we threw such a ruckus with the Celebrity people to get us a tender. It seems they aren't too anxious to get tenders going very early in the morning. My husband and 5 other people had to do the same thing about 30-45 minutes before we did in order to get to a dive they had arranged. Time-wise, no problem driving out and getting there in time....the only problem we had was getting a tender off the ship. I would contact the cruise line you are booked on to see what their policy is about early morning tenders before I booked. BTW - it's a great snorkel trip!

• 3 weeks later...

We did the Fairwind snorkel at Kona last Tuesday. I called them and they assured me there would be no problem making the 9am trip. They were right! We got on the first tender and then went by taxi, and we were there before 8am, with a hour to spare.

Also, re tenders: we never had any wait, but we did usually go early. We never waited for a tender to go back either.

• 4 months later...

Does anyone know if the Fair Wind II excursion is offered for sale at the Kailua-Kona pier? I was thinking of waiting to take the morning excursion when we got off the ship.

How about the others, Body Glove or Seaquest, are they available at the pier?

From what I've seen on here, when ships are in - it's best to already have a reservation. There are booths in town with excursions for sale, but 1) I don't know if they offer the Fair Wind and 2) In order to make it there, you don't have time to purchase right then because by the time you tender off the ship, you need to hussle to get to Fair Winds to make it on time.

I would book ahead of time. But I don't know the answer to your questions....*smile*

Emi

Easiest solution is to book this trip through the cruise line. You can probably book it before you leave. The excursion WON'T leave until you're there. It can't be that much more considering transportation you'd have to get on your own.

Sammy

You can book both Body Glove and Fair Wind II through Tom Barefoot. Check out this link to see what is available and at what price. When we were in Kona on the Serenade this past May, quite a few people were on the Body Glove snorkel excursion with us that had booked independently. I too, would have done so, had I realized that the boat was tied up next to the Tender Pier. :eek: Instead, we booked through the ship and paid more.

http://www.barefoothawaii.com/hawaii/snorkel_bigisle.html

You did not say what ship you were on. I just came back from the Wind yesterday. I can tell you that you will not have enough time if you are on the Wind 11 day. I was on the first tender scheduled and got to the port at 8:35 am. I reserved the Body Glove and had a great time. I too wanted the Fairwinds but Body Glove did a great job. They are right there at the entry when you come off the tender. I saw 4 Eagle Rays swimming in formation 10 feet away from me. Awesome!!!:D :D :D

Archived