Miami - What to do/see for a day?

jkeitch

After our cruise, we've given ourselves an extra day to explore Miami before heading back to the cold and wet North we call home.

Anyway, any suggestions would be great. We will be renting a car so we can explore at our leisure. Only thing for sure is we want to check out an air boat tour on the everglades and hit South Beach.

Any airboat tours in particular that are better than others? Is South Beach the best place to go to check out the beach scene? We've never been to miami, or east coast US for that matter.

We're also looking for a cheap hotel as well if you have any recommendations.

Thanks,

JK

Miami is a wonderful place. Go to News Cafe on Ocean drive in South Beach and have lunch at a table outdoors and people watch. You can walk across the street to the beach and hangout for a few hours before you do the everglades tour. Note, it is tops optional so be prepared;) We loved it so much last year we are staying 2 nites pre cruise at Sobe.

I'm sure you don't want to stay in downtown Miami. But head to Miami Beach. Some people think they are the same. NOT. Lincoln and Ocean drives are where the action and fun is. Some people like to do a 90 minute boat tour of the islands around Miami. It's interensting to check out the magnificent homes. Plus get an idea of the layout of the beach areas. The everglades is pretty close. There are lots of tours you can take in the area if that's what you want. Google Maimi Beach for more ideas.

Miami is a wonderful place. Go to News Cafe on Ocean drive in South Beach and have lunch at a table outdoors and people watch. You can walk across the street to the beach and hangout for a few hours before you do the everglades tour. Note, it is tops optional so be prepared;) We loved it so much last year we are staying 2 nites pre cruise at Sobe.

South Beach is not in Miami. You are speaking of Miami Beach which is an island. Miami is a typical big city on water. Nothing there of interest except for a few areas of fine restaurants. And of course Bayside for tourist shopping and eating.

Miami, Miami Beach are all part of Miami Dade County. I dont see the need to distinguish them apart from each other. When you come to Fl for your SoFla Cruise departure you come to Miami.

If you stay in downtown Miami, the beach is just a few minutes away.

I recommend South beach, Bayside marketplace, If you have time take a drive through little havana's calle ocho and have lunch ( Cuban food ) at Versailles or La Carreta. ( Low fare, great food )

To Know: Restaurant Versailles has been an informal meeting place for locals for many years. They usually gather on the outside Cafeteria to talk Cuban politics and of coure, drink a cafecito (Cuban Coffee), and eat pastries.

Enjoy your cruise.

Miami, Miami Beach are all part of Miami Dade County. I dont see the need to distinguish them apart from each other. When you come to Fl for your SoFla Cruise departure you come to Miami.

If you stay in downtown Miami, the beach is just a few minutes away.

I recommend South beach, Bayside marketplace, If you have time take a drive through little havana's calle ocho and have lunch ( Cuban food ) at Versailles or La Carreta. ( Low fare, great food )

To Know: Restaurant Versailles has been an informal meeting place for locals for many years. They usually gather on the outside Cafeteria to talk Cuban politics and of coure, drink a cafecito (Cuban Coffee), and eat pastries.

Enjoy your cruise.

Do you happen to know how much it costs for a taxi from a hotel at the airport to South Beach or give me a ball park idea. Thanks for the info. we are also going to be there a day before our cruise and were looking for ideas. Also is Bayside close to South Beach and would you recommend it for dinner or South Beach? Let me know. Thanks.

Taxi from MIA will be roughly $40 I read somewhere. It is around $24 to downtown area. Bayside is in the downtown area, not near South Beach. If you are staying at the airport I would taxi to Bayside. You can walk around the shops, people watch, eat at Bubba Gumps and listen to live music by the water.

Archived