Solo Excursions & more

chloeyoh

[B]Background:[/B] My DH prefers to stay onboard at ports so I am always on my own. One of the benefits to trips alone is they are significantly cheaper than bringing 2 or 4 people and I can afford to do what I want. The difference on this cruise is I'll be 12 weeks pregnant with our first so I want to be a little more conservative. I haven't rented a car alone on any of our trips because I worry about driving and navigating at the same time. We're on the 5/19 Serenade.

1st Question:
Are their any Hawaiian baby traditions? A friend from the Netherlands just sent me a music box which is the first gift when a woman gets pregnant. I want to partake in any local traditions if possible.

Kauai - planning 5 hour Waimea Canyon driving trip with RCCL. Last time I did the helicoptor tour and it was beautiful.

Maui - Old Lahaina Luau and ?? I prefer walking and exploring to beaches. I am considering taking the ferry to Lanai (surprised me that it's $50rt). Is there any way to get to Munro Trail without a 4x4? Can I walk to Hulopoe Beach from Manele? An alternative is the Lanai 4x4 trip from RCCL for $159 that's 3-1/2 hours driving around the island. Any thoughts on that? Last year we both did the Sunrise Bicycle trip and loved it! We're considering the daytime trip but they say they don't take pregnant women - and unfortunately due to complications I do really look pregnant even at 6 weeks :-(

Hilo - Last year I took the bus tour up to Jagger Museum and Thurston Lava Tube. It really frustrated me to stick to the bus schedule of only a few minutes in each place. Would it be simple to rent a car and drive myself to a few places like the Garden in the Valley on the Ocean, Panaewa Rainforest Zoo and Hawaii Orchids - or should I settle for a short RCCL bus trip?
Another alternative in Hilo is the Kilauea Lava Viewing Hike. What is the likelihood of seeing red lava on this trip? They say they will cancel if no lava is flowing or the distance is too great. Has anyone done this one?

Kailua Kona - Is the town within walking distance of the dock? I can't remember. I did Captain Zodiak which was wonderful last time. This time I'm considering just walking around town if possible, or taking the Valley Waterfall Hiking Adventure for 6 hours. Any recommendations?

I appreciate any guidance!

RCCL Serenade Canada 9/03
RCCL Navigator Caribbean 6/03
Celebrity Infinity Hawaii 11/02
Dawn Princess Alaska 6/01
RCCL Explorer Caribbean 10/00
RCCL Voyager Caribbean 6/00
RCCL Rhapsody Mexico 11/99
Regal Princess Alaska 5/99

The only Hawaii baby tradition that I'm familiar with is the tradition of the baby luau which is the equivalent of the 1st birthday party.

The dock in Kona is right in the middle of town.

I'm hoping that others will chime in on the other questions.

Spleen

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;6;9;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]  until RSSC Navigator - Canada - 6/04

Carnival Conquest - W. Caribbean - 10/03, Celebrity Infinity - Alaska - 6/03, Ocean Princess - Alaska - 7/02

SweetEmi is the best to answer many of those.

Personally, I would take the volcano trip because it is a once in a lifetime thing to see the good earth being born. You said it would be cancelled if there was no lava to see...perfect! Your plan B is to reserve a car (all the major companies do this on line but you will not be penalized if you dont use it) just in case and then take your drive tour. Renting cars is very easy...cuts about 30-45 minutes out of your time ashore on either side though so budget well. The islands are easy to get around and much cheaper than the tours.

On Kauai, we rented a car an in the 5 hours of your waimea canyon tour and $200 cheaper for a family of 4, we got coffee at a cute local shop, drove to the canyon, stopped along the road to take pictures, went to a nice local shop for lunch, took the wailua river cruise and fern grotto tour, walmart and hilo hatties for shopping and snacking, and back to the ship. And that wasnt racing at all! So you can see that renting cars is a huge difference in price and flexibility.

Have fun!

NCL Star 1/04
What's Next? Alaska 2005 - Ask me about an official CC group!

Archived