Celebrity Informal Night Dining

brettlast1974

I know that Celebrity considers "Jacket and tie with slacks" as appropriate attire for "informal" nights, but I was wondering how many of the guys out there actually wear jackets? I fully intend on wearing a tux on formal night, but I was wondering if slacks with shirt/tie (no jacket) would be generally acceptable for "informal" night. Your thoughts are most appreciated.

Actually, the daily program onboard says jackets for men - doesn't mention ties and hasn't for years (they should fix the rest of the publications to match!)

We just got off Constellation and most all the men we saw did, indeed, wear a blazer or sportcoat for those evenings designated "informal" - many without ties. Such a nice, spiffy atmosphere.

(and by the way, it was interesting: we thought we saw far more tuxes than suits this trip - but most everyone was dressed appropriately.)

The daily does say jacket for informal nights. If you only wear a shirt and slacks, you'll be in the minority. We just got off Constellation also and saw most men wearing jackets and many with ties on informal nights. And as the other poster said, this was one cruise were we saw the most tuxes of any other X cruise. It was really nice to see.

The daily does say jacket for informal nights. If you only wear a shirt and slacks, you'll be in the minority. We just got off Constellation also and saw most men wearing jackets and many with ties on informal nights. And as the other poster said, this was one cruise were we saw the most tuxes of any other X cruise. It was really nice to see.

But still a number of men decide to not wear the jacket?

That's good to hear.

Etiquette says that you should follow the hosts requests.

Many others agree that it is a social norm to adhere to tradition.

Being said, I personally believe in wearing jackets when dining in a fine establishment which the main didning room suggests simply out of respect for your tablemates, fellow cruisers and staff.

However if it is you choice to forgo the jacket, as it is with others on this board, please remember that it is under X's discression to seat you according to their posted guidelines, and there have been reports and instances where a passenger has been denied entry.

Please remember this when you pack, as it is your choice whether to conform or not to and what the consequences MIGHT be.

Personally with the exception of one occasion, I have seen MORE tuxedos, and men wearing jackets and ties on the last few cruises than I have seen in the past. It might be the more affordable cost of business and formal wear nowadays.

I hope I said that in a nice enough fashion.

Dave:eek:

If you look at the poll out here you notice that most of the cruises on X are older folks.

The dress code seems to reflect the age of the cruises.

The whole jacket, no tie thing seems a little silly. I can't remember the last time I saw someone dressed like that.

But I guess you could wear the jacket pass the door and then remove it for a more normal look.

Thanks for all of the replies. I am an attorney so wearing a jacket and tie is certainly not out of the ordinary for me. However, I have never sailed on Celebrity before. I have sailed on RCCL several times, and it seemed to me that the dress code was neither enforced nor paid much attention to. While a fair number of men wore tuxedos on formal night, the casual/smart casual (informal) nights saw very few men wearing jackets. I know that Celebrity is somewhat of an upgrade from RCCL, but I was wondering if guests paid attention to the dress code.

I'm leaving Friday for a Southern Caribbean cruise...I debated what to take for informal night, it's extra luggage etc. but I decided to bring a sports coat, might be a bit on the heavy side but it will do for those nights. A light sports coat isn't an easy thing to find in wintery Canada!

I may opt for a tie for one night and no tie the other...we shall see what the "norm" is on board.

Another poster was asked the same question - she just got off the same sailing - she said many men in the dining room were without jackets, had smart dress shirts etc.

I think this whole "informal" term is as ridiculous as "business casual". If you don't want to eat in the dining room on these nights, you can always opt for one of the alternative dining choices.

I also think the cruise lines either have to stick with a policy AND enforce it, or let the passengers decide. It's pointless to think that every cruise passenger is going to conform to "guidelines." Did you see Hulk Hogan on the Carnival Imagination? jacket with jeans and a tshirt with a bandana - I know it's Carnival but even that is a bit much.

In regards to age, you would be surprised how many young men would rather dress up...we live in the age of celebrity...(pardon the pun).

Brett ~ you asked if guests "paid attention to dress code." I think many on Celebrity tend to follow the requested dress code. There are always some that don't. Does the average guest pay attention one way or the other? Probably not. We choose Celebrity because we do enjoy the more traditional experience they try to offer and we dress accordingly because it's requested and we enjoy it. Celebrity does try to make their "informal" nights a step up from RCCL's "smart casual" but for many trying to decifer what that means (even though it is written) and whether it is enforced is another matter.

Also, you didn't say how long your cruise is...I think longer cruises, in general, tend to attract folks that follow requested dress code more closely. On our recent 15 night RCCL cruise, the greater majority dressed according to the requested code for the evening throughout the cruise.

Ship ~ Many gentleman will wear a sports coat without a tie on "informal" night. I don't think they look silly at all.

Happy Cruising!

Etiquette says that you should follow the hosts requests.

Many others agree that it is a social norm to adhere to tradition.

Being said, I personally believe in wearing jackets when dining in a fine establishment which the main didning room suggests simply out of respect for your tablemates, fellow cruisers and staff.

However if it is you choice to forgo the jacket, as it is with others on this board, please remember that it is under X's discression to seat you according to their posted guidelines, and there have been reports and instances where a passenger has been denied entry.

Please remember this when you pack, as it is your choice whether to conform or not to and what the consequences MIGHT be.

Personally with the exception of one occasion, I have seen MORE tuxedos, and men wearing jackets and ties on the last few cruises than I have seen in the past. It might be the more affordable cost of business and formal wear nowadays.

I hope I said that in a nice enough fashion.

Dave:eek:

Dave - that is the best worded and most tactful answer I have read. Leaves it up to the reader to choose what to do but lets them know that there could be a consequence if the choose not to observe published Celebrity guidelines/rules/codes/whatever you want to call them.

Archived